Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horse Stance - how much, how soon?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Your mind should think about anything except your own body.

- My teacher's teacher could stay in horse stance to "finish a dinner".
    - My teacher could stay in horse stance to "finish watching a Beijin opera show".
    - I can stay in horse stance to "finish a beer".
    Now we're talk'in" ! https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1440&bih=807

I don't care how old this person may be. I don't like his "outer" horse stance. It won't work if you use it for your hip throw. You may even hurt your knee joints by doing so. By using the SC system standard, this is a no no.

I also don't like to use it in striking. When you "spring" from your back leg, your body is not moving forward but moving 45 degree backward. By using the Baji system standard, this is also a no no.

If the outer horse stance cannot be used in both throwing art and striking art, where can you use it anyway? Performance? It doesn't even look pretty.

We call that duck footing. It's a no no where I come from also. The photo Golden Arms posted is correct. Feet should be parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I've been training for the last two months, learning basic kicks and movements, and Wu Bu Quan. Last night I was asked to do Horse Stance for the first time.
    LOL
    my question is on how long a beginner should be able to hold it for, and how often you should practice to progress.
    2 sets erryday 10 second first day add 10 sec erryday

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Horse Stance Training - how much , how soon ?

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and to kung fu in general. It's an art I've always admired but only recently been presented with an opportunity to learn it that I couldn't turn down.

I've been training for the last two months, learning basic kicks and movements, and Wu Bu Quan. Last night I was asked to do Horse Stance for the first time. Boy was it a struggle! I've read the old thread on H.S, the arguments for an against it etc, my question is on how long a beginner should be able to hold it for, and how often you should practice to progress.

I started with 10 seconds last night, it seemed a struggle, then up to 30 secs, 45 secs and finally a minute which was agonising! My goal was for 90 seconds but my legs were like jelly at 60 seconds and I had to throw in the towel.
    Monkey King , you just started your kung fu training so take it slow and easy . What everybody said about horse stance training is all true , but it does ' nt have to be a torture to your own body .

I practice kung fu myself I did the horse too , you see monkey king kung fu is like all the other systems or styles of martial arts in general . You have to develop it inorder for the stance to really work for you . Stand up straight starting with the toe open up and open up your heel step 4 steps apart , and sit . This is the way I do my horse stance , how long to do it ? 3 mintues , monkey king the reason why you ' re struggling is because your leg muscles is ' nt developed yet , so that ' s why you ' re hurting as you ' re doing the horse stance . Start with 3 mintues a day whenever you can , and if 3 mintues a day is to easy for you go up to 2 more mintues . This way as you go on practicing the horse stance your leg muscles should be developing already . But the longer you do it the more stronger your stance will become , then there are times when you play around with your friends like pushing around eachother , if you can be oushed off balanced easily , then it means you need more training in your horse stance training . But if you can ' t be pushed off easily then you ' re pretty much progressing as you go on practicing . This is how I got stronger too .

Like walking , if you ' re out of shape and you really want to get into shape or need to get into shape . Start with 15 mintues of walking and continue , the next day with 15 mintues and so on . But if your job or rather if you ' re walking to school as an example that ' s also beneficial too .

But for beginners like you this is the way I did it , other than that you can do the walking horse , from horse stance go into your other stances and so on , this walking horse excercise makes you movable and strenghtens horse as well .
    I know that other people may or may not say anything against my post , but monkey king try and do my way too . You start slow then gradually build up .
    If you ' re tired , take a rest then continue when you really can , this way you ' ll progress too . People on this thread gave you alot of ideas right ? So start doing it , and you ' ll progress too .

Take Care ,
    Lance

I don't care how old this person may be. I don't like his "outer" horse stance. It won't work if you use it for your hip throw. You may even hurt your knee joints by doing so. By using the SC system standard, this is a no no.

I also don't like to use it in striking. When you "spring" from your back leg, your body is not moving forward but moving 45 degree backward. By using the Baji system standard, this is also a no no.

If the outer horse stance cannot be used in both throwing art and striking art, where can you use it anyway? Performance? It doesn't even look pretty.
    I think from the two pictures, we see the difference each man will have in ability to lift from the stances they are in.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Once you can get past the shaky legs your body will be at rest. This usually starts at 10 minutes. At least from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I think from the two pictures, we see the difference each man will have in ability to lift from the stances they are in.
    The horse for lifting and the horse for hitting have different structures. I don't know who that Tai Chi guy is in the picture.
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 05-01-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    -Golden Arms-

if you can find a place where you can settle into the stance and relax. try and be as relaxed as you can. the key is to find that special place where you can feel nice and calm and relaxed and still be in pain.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

horse stance training is retard proof. cant hurt urself doing it. theres no need to write essays about it.

theres also no reason to patiently explain to someone who will prolly quit after 2 weeks of any real hard training.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-01-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    horse stance training is retard proof. cant hurt urself doing it. theres no need to write essays about it.

theres also no reason to patiently explain to someone who will prolly quit after 2 weeks of any real hard training.
    /win!!!!!!!!!

In the baji horse stance taught by the Liu Yun Qiao line, one of the purposes of the training is store power for lateral, crab-like movement which is characteristic of the movements in all of the forms.

This horse stance, in upper levels of training, including the da qiang trainng, transitions to a half horse/half bow stance.

http://www.wutangcenter.com/wt/bajipigua.htm
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

"Horse stance is good... for taking a dump!"

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    That was my fav line from Forbidden Kingdom.

That being said, I use Horse Stance applications every day. I take a dump every day. Sometimes more.

It even works in the street.

I know. Repost. Or perhaps a redump. Speaking of which....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Exactly.

Training a horse stance for fighting makes about as much sense as this does for stopping the guy running at her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1BOMU1KjQJo

IMO you should go as close as you can to 90 degrees(for strength exercises, not for application) for at least 3 minutes while maintaining proper form. Move on when you are ready. Once you get to 90 degrees, just keep adding on the time.