Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice clip

Thumbs up Great Post

Quote Originally Posted by leeshing View Post
    I have watched both clips and I see nothing wrong with either they are both training videos and its alway good to see how others train it can even help with evaluating your own training methods always good to see how other approach WC.

That’s true and again,,, I see it as okay; which is only my POV and do not feel that my way is better, but only see what I see through my years of development, and I’m sure that there’s a few others here that see it as well (what I see).

Take care,

Conversations around clips on this forum are completely "meh" to me.

Somebody puts up a clip, says it's great. Someone else says it sucks. That goes back and forth until somebody busts out a yomama joke or slam, then people get all hurt and stop talking.

The clips are pretty much always going to be some kind of compliant drill type of clip. This is no different. It's basically a bong lap chi sau drill back and forth with a little bit of free movement switching sides and changing a few angles. Is it a drill? Yes. Is there movement in it? Yes. Would anyone in their right mind describe that as free-form fighting? Highly doubtful. If you behaved like that clip in a real free-form fight would you get your face punched, or one of those hands left out on the bridge dangling, would someone use that to tie up and take you down? Highly likely. Does that clip demonstrate fighting skill? No, it does not.

I would just like to see in ANY compliant clip drills that they get the sense of the difference between live and dead training patterns and a communication of what is being trained incrementally that will allow for greater fighting skills.

I mean no harm what-so-ever

Only one person on this thread felt that one of those clips sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    That was you in the clip doing the bong laap hop partner dance for a minute and a half??
    Very 'interesting' to see this clip of the guy that puts down and criticizes just about every non-WSL person on this forum.
    And like you said (in some words), to think it’s fighting, you would have to be out of your mind to think so. And no one on this thread suggested or made comments to that fact, and I’m sure that no “your momma jokes” were even mentioned at all.

But if we all look very carefully, you’ll see that any jokes that were said or made were all based only in defense of unwarranted attacks that had nothing to do with those clips.

And yes, people stop talking, but started over with only good intentions, until you reminded us all of the ugliness by a “troll” and a person who didn’t like a clip for reasons that had nothing to do with its content and in the way that someone express themselves in writing.

But the statement below would be very nice to see as well; that's very clear and easy to agree with or follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I would just like to see in ANY compliant clip drills that they get the sense of the difference between live and dead training patterns and a communication of what is being trained incrementally that will allow for greater fighting skills.

Take care,
    Last edited by Ali. R; 05-08-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Another nice clip.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    It is a cool clip, and he has fast hands for sure, but still, we've seen this type of clip before.

IMO it would be nicer to see him, or someone, or anyone actually applying this against a resisting non-wc guy in something other than just another chi sau drill (which at the end of the day is what this is, all fast hands aside - a drill).
    Not saying he can't do it, it would have been an much 'nicer clip' imo vs. the already-seen 100's of times times flip flop hands of semi-cooperative chi sau battling
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    FWIW I actually quite like this clip. At least the more junior of the two is offering something back. Only thing I don't get is the put your palm on the partners face and push thing that appears to be a signature of the lineage.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    It is a cool clip, and he has fast hands for sure, but still, we've seen this type of clip before.

IMO it would be nicer to see him, or someone, or anyone actually applying this against a resisting non-wc guy in something other than just another chi sau drill (which at the end of the day is what this is, all fast hands aside - a drill).
    Not saying he can't do it, it would have been an much 'nicer clip' imo vs. the already-seen 100's of times times flip flop hands of semi-cooperative chi sau battling
    There you go mate you got your wish Jerry is from Wsl lineage and not afraid to use what he has attained on a trip to China enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgG...e_gdata_player

Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    There you go mate you got your wish Jerry is from Wsl lineage and not afraid to use what he has attained on a trip to China enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgG...e_gdata_player
    Anything specific you are wanting to point out in this 44 minute video? The sparring I saw at 24:00 - 28:00 pretty much looks like two newborn deer fawns on the same day they are born trying to stand up with balance.

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    FWIW I actually quite like this clip. At least the more junior of the two is offering something back. Only thing I don't get is the put your palm on the partners face and push thing that appears to be a signature of the lineage.
    I don't get that either. What I get is the guy doing it thinks it shows dominance and control over space and fighting skill. It doesn't. At best it is training a bad habit. Do you have any idea how easy it is to go from that position of a guy holding your face to taking the back with a RNC? It's an easy two motion combo, and the fight is over.

"Oh, but he won't hold your face in a 'real self-defense' scenario, he will hit you crisply". I tell you if a guy drills that way with a static push to the face, then what's likely to happen in a self-defense scenario is that he will push a punch in the same way he pushed the face. And that presents the same problems, and more.
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 05-09-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Just a btw a " signature hand in face " is a palm strike/po pai, under control and or thumb in the eye as the hand touches the face.

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    It means that he was able to hit with his arm still bend. Stretching it proves to the striker that he was close enough to strike with power. Secondly, it is a gentle way of showing the opponent that he shouldn't think that he was able to 'take' or ignore the hit and counterstrike. Often, in the emtion of a fight, people tend to overlook that they were hit and still try to hit, although this would not have been possible in a real situation. Having your head pushed back stops you from thinking that you can counterhit. This applies for straight punches aswell as hooks.

"Oh, but he won't hold your face in a 'real self-defense' scenario, he will hit you crisply". I tell you if a guy drills that way with a static push to the face, then what's likely to happen in a self-defense scenario is that he will push a punch in the same way he pushed the face. And that presents the same problems, and more.
    So, if you spar, you strike all the time with all of your power? This is a gentle way of letting the opponent know that he is hit. Hardheaded opponents will receive a more forcefull push. And like Kevin said, it can be just aswell a thumb in the eye or o strike to the throat. Point is, you don't want to get hit.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Just a btw a " signature hand in face " is a palm strike/po pai, under control and or thumb in the eye as the hand touches the face.
    None of which changes one iota of what I was talking about regarding strikes.

None of which changes one iota of what I was talking about regarding strikes.
    I have used in real fights, results produce heavy stun / concussion. A thumb in eye is standard procedure with us. Striking I agree I also coach students not to press the open hand or it tends to stay on as a bad habit. Better to punch and hit again....