I agree. It's nice clip.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Nice subtle toi ma jum angles and " leakproof " attacks.

Not a bad clip but I'm not as impressed as others seem to be. Obvious disparity in abilities means that the more junior of the two fails to pick up the changes in angle and the fact that he retreats in straight lines every time means that he eventually gets run over
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Not a bad clip but I'm not as impressed as others seem to be. Obvious disparity in abilities means that the more junior of the two fails to pick up the changes in angle and the fact that he retreats in straight lines every time means that he eventually gets run over
    You make thinking under attack sound easy. It takes conditioning to move in balance with force and tactics.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 04-30-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    You make thinking under attack sound easy. It takes comditioning to move in balance with force and tactics.
    it takes training......the way you train is the way you fight. Learning to move whilst maintaining balance and delivering power is fundamental. If your partner is better than you then you can expect to have your balance disrupted and to be out manoevered, but a basic truism of fighting is that moving backwards in a straight line is a bad idea and should be discouraged from day one.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

it takes training......the way you train is the way you fight. Learning to move whilst maintaining balance and delivering power is fundamental. If your partner is better than you then you can expect to have your balance disrupted and to be out manoevered, but a basic truism of fighting is that moving backwards in a straight line is a bad idea and should be discouraged from day one.
    Exactly, but many don't get tactical input to angle according to ? Where to go, why...systematic drilling, making things organic, intuitive.

When have you seen a clip of chinese MA without obvious disparity in abilities? Lol. It doesn't negate the fantastic stepping and angling being shown by the attacker here. To be honest it is quite hard not to be chased down and look clumsy when a lot of pressure and close following is being used against you, especially by someone more skilled than yourself, don't you think? I still get a lot out of the clip, despite the fact that one of the two people in it is better than the other.

I remember posting some clips with more evenly matched people a while back. Commentors then complained that they were using open hands and that it wasn't full contact enough, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    When have you seen a clip of chinese MA without obvious disparity in abilities? Lol. It doesn't negate the fantastic stepping and angling being shown by the attacker here. To be honest it is quite hard not to be chased down and look clumsy when a lot of pressure and close following is being used against you, especially by someone more skilled than yourself, don't you think? I still get a lot out of the clip, despite the fact that one of the two people in it is better than the other.

I remember posting some clips with more evenly matched people a while back. Commentors then complained that they were using open hands and that it wasn't full contact enough, lol.
    Fair enough. As I said in my first post I thought the clip was okay. My gripe with those saying how great it is, is that even with such a difference in ability, if the more junior guy simply angled and introduced some lateral movement those lovely tight changes of angle displayed by his senior aren't as easy to pull off. Also its all well and good having footwork that is awesome when the opponent moves backwards using wing chun footwork but its far harder to do against a partner using different footwork and body motions especially when they work angles and pivot etc.

Fair enough. As I said in my first post I thought the clip was okay. My gripe with those saying how great it is, is that even with such a difference in ability, if the more junior guy simply angled and introduced some lateral movement those lovely tight changes of angle displayed by his senior aren't as easy to pull off. Also its all well and good having footwork that is awesome when the opponent moves backwards using wing chun footwork but its far harder to do against a partner using different footwork and body motions especially when they work angles and pivot etc.
    That's like saying boxing sucks when the wrestler takes him down, lol...

Everything has a counter, everything can be vulnerable in the right circumstances, that doesn't negate the fact that a way of doing things is effective. When it comes to fighting, it is always your skills vs the other guys skills, that is the variable, and no one can predict what will work or won't work in that moment the fight breaks out, all one can do is train in what they think is an effective way.

The clip displays an effective way to move and attack IMO, yes it does have it's vulnerability but one has to be able to take advantage of that, talking about it here on a forum means nothing in that regard. Just go see him and see if you can do it vs. him, that's he only thing that counts.

James

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    That's like saying boxing sucks when the wrestler takes him down, lol...
    If a

- boxer gets taken down by a wrestler, the boxer doesn't have take down resistance.
    - wrestler gets knocked down by a boxer, the wrestler doesn't have knock down resistance.

This is why "cross training" is a MUST.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If a

- boxer gets taken down by a wrestler, the boxer doesn't have take down resistance.
    - wrestler gets knocked down by a boxer, the wrestler doesn't have knock down resistance.

This is why "cross training" is a MUST.
    Yes correct, but that wasn't the point. Regardless is Ali or Tyson gets taken down from a wrestler, both had great boxing skills, that's the point. Any wrestler can get KO'd, whether or not he's had KO resistence, and visa versa. But both, if they know their stuff, have effective skills. Just looking at the skill set itself, not individuals vs other individuals and so forth.
    Cross-training isn't a must, only if you compete do you need to cross-train. Yeah, its a good idea, and if you want to be a so called "fighter" you would be wise to cross-train, but if you don't care to be a fighter (that's me), then cross-training is not a necessity..

James
    Last edited by sihing; 04-30-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Ian

Can you post a clip of how you would fare under such pressure from an attacking training partner?

GH

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    'Great' movement?? No.

'Good' movement?? Okay I would consider that. Typically WSL family stuff but good all the same.

There is an element of Sifu/student mannerisms in the clip, not a more advanced student against another student. Would be interesting to hear if anyone knows if they in fact are Sifu and student because it will explain a lot.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    'Great' movement?? No.

'Good' movement?? Okay I would consider that. Typically WSL family stuff but good all the same.

There is an element of Sifu/student mannerisms in the clip, not a more advanced student against another student. Would be interesting to hear if anyone knows if they in fact are Sifu and student because it will explain a lot.
    Spencer

Can you post a clip of how you would fare under such pressure from an attacking training partner?

GH