Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch something on the way back

Blog Entries

Catch something on the way back

Old Chinese saying said, "收手的時候,手上要帶著東西回來,(When you pull your punch, you have to catch something on the way back)".

When you punch and your opponent blocks, your punch should change into a grab. This way you can pull your opponent's arm back.

I find this principle is an excellent bridge to link the striking art and the grappling art together. Your thought?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I always felt this was yet another reason for the chambering in traditional martial arts. The pull back with one hand is as much part of the training as the punching forward with the other. Roughly simulates punching, it getting blocked, then quickly pulling the block and punching with the other hand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post
    I always felt this was yet another reason for the chambering in traditional martial arts. The pull back with one hand is as much part of the training as the punching forward with the other. Roughly simulates punching, it getting blocked, then quickly pulling the block and punching with the other hand.
    Agree! You can change your punching arm into a grabbing arm. You can also change your blocking arm into a grappling arm (采 Cai). I find this principle is quite unique in TCMA.

I believe the general TCMA term is called "采(Cai) - pick".
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Agree! You can change your punching arm into a grabbing arm. You can also change your blocking arm into a grappling arm (采 Cai). I find this principle is quite unique in TCMA.

I believe the general TCMA term is called "采(Cai) - pick".
    I agree with your OP but I don't think it's completely unique to TCMA. I found it in Okinawan Karate, Kali Arnis as well as 5 Animal Sil-Lum. Also, I think chambering high rather than low to the hip is better suited for this. I've never been taught to chamber low but I see it all the time in videos and it just doesn't seem correct to me.

Yes, certainly. Sticky hands.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Seems like a sound enough principle. I have a vague recollection of being taught something along those lines when I studied ju-jitsu many, many moons ago.

Yes, Its an excellent principle, often referred to also as 'Dai' shou, to add a hand.

You can also use this principle to claw at someones face after they have guarded or dodged, a claw sweeps out a large area where as a punch hit a point, so the claw is harder to evade.

You can also change your blocking arm into a grappling arm (采 Cai).
    I was once told not to "block" an incoming strike, but to "accept" it. I really like the term "accepting" in that context.

I think chambering high rather than low to the hip is better suited for this. I've never been taught to chamber low but I see it all the time in videos and it just doesn't seem correct to me.
    I'd agree with that. Chambering at the hip "breaks" your arm at the wrist. Plus I don't think there's as much power in the pull if it travels the path to the hip instead of the ribs.

"The hand does not come back empty"

I agree, it works great for moving things into close range.
    -Golden Arms-

When you punch and your opponent blocks, your punch should change into a grab. This way you can pull your opponent's arm back.

Your thought?
    In tong bei and ba ji, we may confine or grab the opponent's arm.

However, we do not pull it toward us.

Instead we move our body forward to be close to the opponent.

So we confine or guard the opponent's hand or arm where it was.

We close in with our body at the same time.

I thought this thread was going to be about exotic vacations overseas with the title.

My answer then would be "that's why they invented penicillin."

Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post
    I was once told not to "block" an incoming strike, but to "accept" it. I really like the term "accepting" in that context.
    In Mantis, we say cheong 搶.

Snatch/steal/rob the attack.

It is more aggressive and active than just accepting the attack.

搶 before his block connects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYgqZECK-Ro

In this clip,

it does not matter that we intercept the opponent at high or low,

you may notice that my fist, elbow, hip and body move close or forward.

Instead pulling toward our self, we confine or guard the opponent's hand or arm, we move our body close to him.

This is called advance body kao or jin shen kao.

etc etc.

In Mantis, we say cheong 搶.

Snatch/steal/rob the attack.

It is more aggressive and active than just accepting the attack.
    I'd consider that preferable. IME, there's three ways to respond to a striking attack: attack it, avoid it, or "accept" it. The former is preferable in situating yourself as the controlling party, but sometimes you have to choose between the latter two options. Sometimes you don't read the intent in time to attack the attack. At least, sometimes I don't