Thread: kung fu sparring without kickboxing

Hybrid View

kung fu sparring without kickboxing

how do you shaolin practitioners spar? i mean you practice forms with many techniques,then when you spar ,how do you block a punch? does it relate at all to the way you block a punch in your forms? what type of fighting stance do you use? what two man drills do you do that are directly from shaolin for fighting?

this is why you will never find the real shaolin.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

you are the dictionary definition of the word hater my friend

I've saw more street fights and challenges at Shaolin than any where else I've been.

And I've been in some rough environments.

That doesn't really answer your question, but I'm just putting that out there.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene

Can you tell us more? I read the part in Matt Polly's book about the Japanese karateka coming to the village looking for a fight. Does Taguo also get challengers do you think?
    Are most of the challengers other CMA practitioners or do they come from other styles?

It's an interesting subject.

If you make claims of martial arts and martial artistry, yo should expect that at some point, you will be challenged. It's pretty simple math. It's how you meet the challenge that's important.

If it's just some belligerent little snipe, write them off.
    Trouble in your doorway? You gotta deal with that in no uncertain terms.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    got some answers last night from my teacher, seems you shorten up all your movement from the forms in fighting. heard that before from a hung gar teacher back in the states. seems the fighting stance is hands up,like a boxer but lead is more forward,and hands are open,cause most application have a grab with one hand and strike with other.

seems the blocks are similar to the standard kickboxing blocks, but to be honest,seem a bit vague. like maybe there is no real straight forward way of blocking for sparring or real fighting. grab strike, ,throw sometimes,hands up and open.
    I personally have a 'street' version of my two shaolin sets I still retain. the reason i did this was for myself, so that i have built up repetition of doing these things from my own personal point of movement and feel for fighting. if you are expecting to just take these large movements and adapt them at the time you need them, i dont think thats going to be as successuful as it could be if you prepared ahead of time. for that what i did is raised the stances, tightened up my guards and shortened most of the movements, excepting long range attacks. after i started doing this i noticed a difference in my sparring after some time. imo blocking is one of those things, that is purely instinctual and you have to rely on your training and muscle memory. you arent going to have a thought process of; 'oh i better block this' you just do it. what your follow up is after/during a block really just depends on your reaction, whats available, and how quickly your body reacts and exploits an opening.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I personally have a 'street' version of my two shaolin sets I still retain. the reason i did this was for myself, so that i have built up repetition of doing these things from my own personal point of movement and feel for fighting. if you are expecting to just take these large movements and adapt them at the time you need them, i dont think thats going to be as successuful as it could be if you prepared ahead of time. for that what i did is raised the stances, tightened up my guards and shortened most of the movements, excepting long range attacks. after i started doing this i noticed a difference in my sparring after some time. imo blocking is one of those things, that is purely instinctual and you have to rely on your training and muscle memory. you arent going to have a thought process of; 'oh i better block this' you just do it. what your follow up is after/during a block really just depends on your reaction, whats available, and how quickly your body reacts and exploits an opening.
    my teacher also was explaining this last class about shorting up the stances and the techniques from the forms. but it still seems vague. i already know a **** load of martial arts,how to block all types of attacks from a modern fighting stance,and could teach this as well. i just feel like i wish i could get it from the kung fu.but honestly seems it is not there. even that shaolin fighting clip posted. it is a bit obvious that teacher does not have that much sparring experience. cause if he did he would eventually change his fighting stance. there is a reason all pro or competitive fighters keep their hands up. i think we have all seen this before. some video of a traditional guy fighting an experienced fighter. he comes out overly confident,in some kooky stance. and after a minute or two of eating some hard punches he starts to change his stance to a boxers type stance.