Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Internal and Combat

In Xinyiliuhe we don't have fixed forms and sometimes we make up our own forms based on what we want to practice but forms or no forms isn't really the problem of TCMA. The problem is that it is full of cowards who don't want to lose face in sparring or fighting.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 05-17-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    well - in action he's demonstrating yiquan in his fighting. Pretty much sums up the Wang interview saying you should eliminate the forms and modern element theory because that's not representative of real fighting.
    the xingyi five elements is five basic punches. i dont know how xingyi people fuk it up so bad.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-17-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the xingyi five elements is five basic punches. i dont know how xingyi people fuk it up so bad.
    practice without theory is empty

BUT

too much theory and practice becomes bogged down and suffers

we have too much theory, in too much abstract terms, with too much mysticism attached to practice
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

A person needs to make a statement about their core and the core of their MA:
    Is it about fighting or something else.

Every MA was developed with fighting in mind as it's core (sometimes as it's only goal) and to turn our backs on that core is to deny tradition.

MA were also developed, typiclaly, to deal with OTHER MA/fighters and not just "the layperson" and, IMO, that is where many TMA have "dropped the ball".
    The view that "what are the chances you will fight a trained fighter on the street" is, IMO, the worse possible mindset to have.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    MA were also developed, typiclaly, to deal with OTHER MA/fighters and not just "the layperson" and, IMO, that is where many TMA have "dropped the ball".
    The view that "what are the chances you will fight a trained fighter on the street" is, IMO, the worse possible mindset to have.
    That view is especially outmoded now, as with all the information out there, not only is it likely your attacker(s) will have at least some training (boxing, wrestling, MMA; contact sports such as football; ex-military, etc.), but one should expect it. And a person who's 'untrained' but has considerable street experience is definitely in that category as well. Or if they're drugged-up beyond feeling any pain.

Not to mention weapons such as knives. Many MAists severely underestimate them. They are a great equalizer, and any determined person can lay you open with one with only light contact, and they aren't as easy to disarm as many people believe they are.

The view that MA training automatically puts one into a super-secret elite society of those 'in the know' is a very dangerous delusion, indeed.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 05-17-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    That view is especially outmoded now, as with all the information out there, not only is it likely your attacker(s) will have at least some training (boxing, wrestling, MMA; contact sports such as football; ex-military, etc.), but one should expect it. And a person who's 'untrained' but has considerable street experience is definitely in that category as well. Or if they're drugged-up beyond feeling any pain.

Not to mention weapons such as knives. Many MAists severely underestimate them. They are a great equalizer, and any determined person can lay you open with one with only light contact, and they aren't as easy to disarm as many people believe they are.

The view that MA training automatically puts one into a super-secret elite society of those 'in the know' is a very dangerous delusion, indeed.
    Very much so.
    From when I first started bouncing in 1988 to when I stopped in 1998, the noticeable difference from how people fought when they got into trouble was right there.
    Towards the end we saw guys going for the "mma stuff" ( even if they never trained) and the appearance of knives ( and guns too) increased quite a bit.
    The recreational use of drugs to build muscle also got more mainstream.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Love to see a clip about that.
    It's like that saying, miss by a hair, is like missing by 1000 miles, You probably won't see a hair., but you might feel it.

Look at how animals fight: this is "internal" power. They don't get in their own way. Nothing more, nothing less.

But a lion can still demolish a hyaena because a lion is bigger and has more weight and muscle to put behind what they're doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...fc55H_I#t=142s

A ferret can overpower a rat even though they are about the same width around (the ferret is about twice the length and weight).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ0fngMq2Yw

So you can maximize what you're doing by not getting in your own way and internal styles emphasize this. But we can't throw out physics and biology and ignore that fact that a bigger stronger organism can overpower the smaller and weaker one. So training to be bigger and stronger is also essential.

It never was an "either/or" argument.
    Last edited by Eric Olson; 05-18-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    eliminate the forms and modern element theory because that's not representative of real fighting.
    If you understand the 5 elements theory, it can simplify the real fight.

What if your opponnt likes to

1. throw high kicks (wood)? You let your elbow to meed his ankle (metal).
    2. move slowly inch by inch (earth)? You throw long distance punches and kicks at him (wood).
    3. play defense and wait for you to attack (water)? You move in slowly inch by inch and squeeze him (earth).
    4. jump up and down (fire)? You match your body movement with his body up/down movement (water).
    5. use hard block (metal)? You hop around and don't commit your punches/kicks (fire).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-18-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

in 70s documentary a guy said kung fu is controlled insanity. he is right, but not the way he thought.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC