Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese toilets

Chinese toilets

I was tempted to put this in our Shaolin toilets thread but this ain't Shaolin, or our Eating bitter in China thread, but this is sort of the converse. There's also our Low-flow toilets cause stink in San Francisco thread, but this is China.

Anyway, we have a lot of folks here who have traveled or are even traveling in China now, so I figured this would be a pretty easy thread to get rolling here.

China Continues to Blaze a Trail for Clean and Safe Toilets
    4 days ago by Master Blaster

Many of us have that friend who visited China only to return with terrifying tales of disgusting toilets, particularly in the rural areas. Frankly though, horrific public toilets are a global problem that must be dealt with. However, being the staunch pro-toilet campaigner (preferring them to a tree or ditch) I want to reiterate, “toilets don’t foul up toilets, people foul up toilets.” This is a policy the China seems to agree with and as such have been creating toilets with revolutionary designs that ensure people use them with the utmost patience. Two more have been discovered and are currently doing the rounds on China message board tt.mop.

Our first toilet requires some brain power to use. Like walking into some kind of real life Resident Evil puzzle, you are presented with a toilet bowl atop a sheer one meter drop and about a two inch clearance on either edge.

To help, you are given a blue plastic stool. How do you use it? ****ed if I know, but that’s a challenge would-be defecators must face and take the due care not to make a mess of themselves and their surroundings. While that one helps people learn to be more careful when using a john, there is still the issue of smells. This is a hard problem, since we can’t consciously control odors. Worry not though, for China is on top of that too!

This concept also increases security, and significantly reduces vandalism. Plus if someone suddenly has a heart attack or other medical emergency while using the toilet, they can be discovered immediately. If there was one flaw, it would be that they seem a little too close together.

We here at RocketNews24 would like to applaud China for their efforts at creating a safe and unspoilable toilet. Godspeed!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I strongly suspect that that first toilet idea is going to backfire on the designers...big time. If it were in a public restroom here, instead of going to the trouble of figuring it out, people would just cr@p all over the floor/walls. I did some janitorial work for a while when I was very young, and people are nasty.

And kind of OT for this (and kind of not), this vid had me laughing WAY more than it should have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX4cGhQW5Ec&sns=em

I hate the urinal thing where one retard pisses on the floor and gradually throughout the day people stand back more and more and eventually it's just one giant piss puddle. Nasty. I'd rather just piss on the roses!

with those squat toilets i feel safe. with sitting toilets im always paranoid about catching disease from the seat. its like rubbing your ass against the ass of 100 other people.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Woah...

Is this really China?

Luxury restroom in Chinese department store the envy of Japanese shopaholics
    yesterday by Philip Kendall

With seemingly endless stories appearing online about shoddy electronics, blood-red rivers and food products that could put their consumer six feet under, China gets a bad rap sometimes. True, this writer may well have wandered into some of the most poorly kept public restrooms that he has ever seen during a brief stay in the country a few years ago, but there is also plenty of luxury to be enjoyed in China.

Even with my six-figure salary, though, I have a feeling I’d be politely turned away should I even come within 50 feet of the swanky restrooms in this particular Chinese department store.

Taken in the La Perle Shopping Centre in Guangzhou, China, these photos give us a sneak peek at how the other half lives. From the thousands of differently coloured tiles to the mosaic designs on the wall and private ‘refresh’ spaces, this restroom became the envy of thousands of Japanese shoppers today when the following photos appeared online.

▼ Step right in, ladies. Your private rest space awaits!

▼ Clearly the person who took these photos was able to sneak past the guards…

Rather than subject its genteel customers to the humiliation of having to answer the call of nature knowing that other patrons may well be able to hear every embarrassing sound, each of the store’s mirror-lined ‘rest rooms’ is actually a made up of a toilet room and a small powder room complete with vanity mirror and a stool to use while freshening up. Customers are free to spend as long as they like in their private rest room, safe in the knowledge that everyday riffraff like you and me are not permitted anywhere near the facilities.

Built in just one year, this 10,000-square metre complex of boutiques and restaurants is thought to have cost around 100 million US dollars to build, and attracts only China’s richest with stores like Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Dior, Fendi, Prada, Hugo Boss, Celine, Burberry, Givenchy, Polo Ralph Lauren and Versace. It is perhaps only natural, then, that the restrooms should be roughly half the size of my apartment here in Tokyo…
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

When I was in Qingdao this past May, I stayed in a three star hotel. My host assured me it would have a Western toilet. It did, but the toilet was in the shower stall. Very easy to $hit, shower and shave all at once.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

100 yuan if you miss

Chinese city poised to fine guys who miss the bowl
    Master Blaster 3 days ago

Recently Shenzhen, Guangdong announced a new bylaw against “non-civilized” behavior in public toilets of the city. This means that guys for whom the act of urination turns into a Sunday afternoon with a wacky water weasel may face fines if caught.

The introduction of the new law naturally raised questions from the residents of Shenzhen such as the most important: “Who’s going to enforce this rule and how?” Other men, either sheepishly or indignantly asked, “Do you have to pay even if it’s by accident?”

It’s the latest in a string of efforts to improve the conditions of public toilets all over the country such as last year’s “two-flies-or-fewer” policy for lavatories in Beijing.

Aside for misfiring, spitting phlegm on the floor and tossing litter into urinals will also be deemed “non-civilized” behavior when the law comes into effect on 1 September. So if you happen to live in the Shenzhen area you only have one more week to let all of your bodily fluids fly carefree in a public space until you will face hefty fines of 100 yuan (US$16) if caught.
    As if this could even be enforced in China.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I want something more surprising to explode

Exploding toilet in China leads to explosion of puns on the net
    Master BlasterMaster Blaster 2 days ago

On the evening of 4 August, the Liu family returned home at around 9:00pm to the smell of something burning. Thinking the house might be on fire they began to inspect from room to room but found nothing aside from some water dripping from the ceiling.

“I wonder if someone put it out” someone said as they made their way to the second floor still seeing no sign of a fire aside from the stench. Then upon opening the door to the bathroom, they saw the devastation.

The entire bathroom was covered in black soot and scattered debris consisting of ceramic chunks and circuitry. It seemed as if the washlet that the Liu family was using exploded at some point between 6:00pm and 9:00pm.

Their home was spared by the fact that the exploding washlet was blown clean off the water pipe it was hooked up to. The pipe started overflowing and extinguished the flames before they could spread to the rest of the house.

According to Chinese media there have been other occurrences of luxury toilets blowing up in other cities. However, each of the toilets is said to have been made by a different manufacturer. This is also following recent reports of widespread smartphone explosions.

It may not be a coincidence that high-tech products have been seemingly overheating during a prolonged heat wave afflicting many parts of the country. Media outlets are reminding people not to leave plugged-in devices unattended, and to avoid exposing them to direct sunlight.

Meanwhile, netizens who couldn’t resist a story about an exploding toilet came out in full force with comments such as “that’s crappy”; “hot sh*t!” and “maybe they had a gas leak”. However, once the jokes began to subside on message boards someone had a sobering realization.

“Is there anything else that hasn’t exploded yet? I want something more surprising to explode.”

Sadly no one could think of anything funnier that could explode (honorable mention to “****roaches”) and an uncomfortable silence filled the forum. And so with the Liu family completely uninjured and having minimal damage done to their home, the true tragedy of the exploding toilet revealed itself.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around Chinese luxury toilets.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Reinvent The Toilet Challenge-China

Oh man, I know I've been on the web too long today when I start posting stuff like this here.

But it is on topic.

Gates fund to spur 'toilet revolution' in China
    Updated: 2013-08-23 06:26
    ( Xinhua)

BEIJING - The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) on Thursday extended its global "toilet revolution" campaign to China, kicking off a competition with grants of $5 million to encourage Chinese talent to reinvent the toilet.

The Reinvent The Toilet Challenge-China (RTTC-China) will fund research teams in China to develop a "next-generation toilet," which the foundation defines as waterless, hygienic, not requiring a sewer connection or electricity and costing less than five US cents per user, per day.

Li Zili, deputy director of research and development (R&D) at the BMGF Beijing Representative Office said China's R&D capability was growing fast and its innovation could be adopted worldwide.

The toilet challenge is a part of the foundation's Water, Sanitation & Hygiene program. The BMGF has been advocating a revolutionary toilet for 21st century, its top priority in radical and sustainable improvements in sanitation in the developing world, since 2011.

Dr. Doulaye Kone, a senior officer of the program, said "the need for better sanitation in the developing world is clear."

While people in the developed world take flush toilets for granted, research shows that 40 percent of the world's population - 2.5 billion people - practice open defecation or lack adequate sanitation facilities.

Even in urban areas, where household and communal toilets are more prevalent, 2.1 billion people use toilets connected to septic tanks that are not safely emptied or use other systems that discharge raw sewage into open drains or surface waters.

"The consequences can be devastating for human health as well as the environment," Dr. Doulaye Kone said.

Poor sanitation contributes to 1.5 million child deaths from diarrhea each year. Chronic diarrhea can also hinder child development and impede the absorption vaccines, he said

The toilets, sewers, and waste water treatment systems in the developed require vast amounts of land, energy, and water. They are expensive to build and maintain.

"This is why the next-generation toilet should be waterless. Hygienic toilets do not require a sewer connection or electricity, " Dr. Doulaye Kone said.

According to Zhang Yong, a senior official of the disease control and prevention department of China's National Health and Family Planning Commission, despite significant progress in building hygienic toilets in rural China since 2004, about 30 percent of rural Chinese did not have access to such toilets by 2012.

"China aims to raise the percentage of rural residents using hygienic toilets to 75 percent by 2015 and 85 percent by 2020," said Zhang, adding that the government was ready and willing to promote nationwide any "suitable" toilets coming out of RTTC-China.

In August 2012, three prototypes from the first round of grants were selected as winners of the challenge: a solar-powered toilet that generates electricity; a toilet that extracts biological charcoal, minerals, and clean water from human waste; and a toilet that sanitizes feces and urine, recovering resources and clean water.

Dr. Doulaye Kone said funding research to invent new sanitation products was just the beginning. The goal of the foundation was to make these products available and affordable for ordinary people. The foundation will also work with partnerships in manufacturing and commercializing.

As to the prospects of the next-generation toilets, Kone said, "one should not underestimate changes new technology can make."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Reinvent The Toilet Challenge-China (RTTC-China) will fund research teams in China to develop a "next-generation toilet," which the foundation defines as waterless, hygienic, not requiring a sewer connection or electricity and costing less than five US cents per user, per day.
    Awesome. They're going to invent a hole in the ground.

I thought we had a previous post something similar to this

It was on another toilet-themed eatery. Or maybe it was the same one as this one. I couldn't figure out how to search for it.

New toilet-themed restaurant opens in China: Soft-serve chocolate ice cream? You bet!

Master BlasterMaster Blaster 7 hours ago

In the gradually blossoming trend of toilet-themed restaurants, now the people of Taiyuan City in Shanxi Province have one to call their very own. Having only opened in August of this year, it has been drawing capacity crowds of diners and can often be seen with a line going out the door. Much like a real restroom when in high demand…

Customers being interviewed by Chinanews described the alternative restaurant as “different,” “fun,” and “freaky.” Similar to other toilet-themed restaurants, diners sit on refurbished porcelain thrones adorned with turd-shaped cushions.

However, in contrast to a lot of other toilet restaurants’ artsy décor, this place has a homier feel to it with white tile walls, towel racks, and faucets jutting out of the walls. Of course, there are also dishes in the shapes of both Western and Eastern-style toilets filled with the various dishes which you can bet are pretty much all some shade of brown.

▼ Plop! Here’s your steaming pile of chicken!

Toilet-themed restaurants have been around for at least seven years. Back in 2011, one of our reporters visited the popular toilet restaurant chain Modern Toilet in Taipei to lick their bowls clean.

It seems that most toilet restaurants can be found in China or Taiwan, but with a recent survey suggesting that 12 percent of Japanese people eat on the can there may just be a viable market here yet.

Source: Chinanews (Chinese) via Entabe (Japanese)

▼ “Excuse me, ma’am? Is something wrong with your giant pooh pillow?”

▼ “Why won’t this thing flush!?”

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So weird....!!!

Eating in the bathroom is disgusting, there is so much bacteria in there, even if you have a clean one.

Apparently pee spray has been almost eliminated in Amersterdam's airport. They've reduced the messes by some 80% by doing a simple little thing to the urinal itself.

There is a fly in there. An image of one actually, baked into the porcelain.

what man can resist a legit target? Apparently not many.

come on, admit it! You're biggest accomplishment is breaking up the scented puck or destroying a cigarette butt. lol

Terminal 4 at JFK now has it too!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This is Crazy