Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Sword Maintenance

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North, strong and Free
    Posts
    838

    Sword Maintenance

    I tried searching but my search fu is weak today. I am pretty sure it's been discussed here before but I can't find it.

    Anyway, I took out my broad sword last week for the first time in 5 or 6 months and noticed it is starting to get a couple of rust spots on the one side. What is the recommended method in removing this? Can I use steel wool and some oil? If so, what kind of oil should I use?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101
    Products here are awesome for that purpose: http://www.flitz.com/

    Specific to your need, this product: http://www.flitz.com/p-48-gunknife-care-kit.aspx

    Also, steel wool can scratch the crap out of a blades finish.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 05-09-2013 at 06:17 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    If it is simply "regular metal/steel", CLR is good to remove rust then put a nice coating of oil on it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If it is simply "regular metal/steel", CLR is good to remove rust then put a nice coating of oil on it.
    If I know my broadswords...I am gonna say it is like a 440 with a brush finish or cold rolled with chrome plate.

    Stainless cutlery grade steel is not all that common but it's out there.
    Those would be the pricy blades that are made of that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    If I know my broadswords...I am gonna say it is like a 440 with a brush finish or cold rolled with chrome plate.

    Stainless cutlery grade steel is not all that common but it's out there.
    Those would be the pricy blades that are made of that.
    Stainless blades are great for display and demos but not for actual sword work.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,101
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Stainless blades are great for display and demos but not for actual sword work.
    True, it can be brittle.

    having said that, no one really uses swords these days, but if they did, probably damascus steel or tool steel (T10) would be the best bet for something that you want to have functioning as a real sword.

    I have no doubt, something made of these metals would cost...well, a lot of money.
    Also depends on method of manufacture etc.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    True, it can be brittle.

    having said that, no one really uses swords these days, but if they did, probably damascus steel or tool steel (T10) would be the best bet for something that you want to have functioning as a real sword.

    I have no doubt, something made of these metals would cost...well, a lot of money.
    Also depends on method of manufacture etc.
    I think that a sword enthusiast MUST have at least ONE "real" sword.
    I have a bunch of demo swords:
    4 or 5 katanas.
    Two from highlander, LOL
    I have the sword from Heroes and the swords from Kill: Bill
    I have two rapiers ( one has a very good blade on it)
    3 long swords
    etc, etc...
    BUT I also have one forged Katana and one folded one.
    CMA-wise I have two straight swords, one of them is the Adam Hsu straight sword.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fremont, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    44,487

    Our newest web article

    Have you checked your oil lately? READ How to Maintain Your Chinese or Japanese Sword by Jordan McDowell



    Threads
    so-i-got-a-new-sword
    Sword-Maintenance
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •