Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding The Correct Horse Stance

Finding The Correct Horse Stance

Hello,i know many our friends having problem with practicing horse stance and they doing it mostly wrong.To help them i want to share some of my knowledge about horse stance and i'd like to know if im wrong.So,lets start with wrong horse stances.

Pictures above good examples for wrong horse stances,they trying to look like sit on invinsible chairs.What makes them wrong?Horse stance for combat,must be usefull for it but stances above arent.They havn't balance,mobility also you cant even move in a stance like this,its locked.Anything touch you and you will fall to ground.Groin and balls are down,booms with a kick.
    Also its bad for your health,if you trying to get leg muscles like that i say be careful.I tryed to make my legs stronger long ago with that wrong stance and my knee got hurt because of too many weight loaded on it as doctor says.It still hurts when i do low stances and cracking.Lets check correct horse stances of fighting arts.

Lets look at pictures above,they are correct horse stances,they have what a horse stance needs ;
    They are balanced,you can keep in this stance for long time without hurting your joints and your back,and still get leg muscles.
    Groin and balls are upside,cant easyly kicked upward.
    They are not locked and they have mobility.So you can do things like chaning stance,kicking,stepping-moving qucikly.
    Your weight balanced on legs and one cant easly move you because your weight sticking you to ground.
    This facts makes a horse stance strong and powerfull.
    There is not just one way for correct horse stance,its correct if its usefull.

I hope i makes even a little sense for anyone who read it,thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Rover; 05-09-2013 at 02:27 PM.

All horse stanced out from previous thread on subject. Welcome to KFM forum! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPgZbRTEvr0
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-09-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    All horse stanced out from previous thread on subject. Welcome to KFM forum!
    i saw that thread and i though a reply wouldn't be enough,thanks

Blog Entries
    Love the Lam Tsai Wing references

...So basically everyone should just do Hung Gar?

Who am I to fault that line of genius? Sweet!!!

See big bro Gene...it ALWAYS comes back to Hung Style!!!

This calls for one of my old favorites:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwDgd-tFIaM
    "Hey man, Is that Freedom Rock?" "Well Turn it up man!"

haha, "O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    Love the Lam Tsai Wing references

...So basically everyone should just do Hung Gar?
    Bro... I know all pics from hung gar but as i said in post :
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Sorry i checked on web but couldn't get any good quality horse s. pictures of old masters.I'd put here if i had.Im not a hung gar nazi .
    Last edited by Rover; 05-10-2013 at 04:09 AM.

While there is different levels of training horse stance I think it's not something to just mish mash.

A high horse has different purpose than big square horse for instance and they are used in different circumstances. Not really mix and match.

And obviously, correct alignment is important.

Having said that, the guy in the white shirt doing big square horse is the classical shape of it.

LSW shape lends itself to the mobility demands of the set he is demonstrating.

No comment on the others.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The guy in the white tee shirt does look to be doing a classical low horse stance. Many stances can be done at different heights too, I think, in practice and in application. Some people can move from a low horse stance quite quickly too. It all depends what you are trying to do. I have a lot of work to do on mine though. Im just aware that stances can be done at different heights, and there are reasons for this.

Nicre thread, and well, about that last pic (wrong horse stance group). What you you think about

Shi De Yang's horse stance i mean, i don't want to argue, i'm just asking about it because he says that when practicing horse stance you should be able to put a water cup in your legs with no spilling it; but for that you have to make a really low horse stance, and well, you already said why it could no be correct having a low horse stance like in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Agree

Rover,

Good post. I still remember well the time when I first started training CMA as if it was yesterday. One of the instructors there sat in a low horse stance during a sparring session with another instructor. He could still move well, and even launched kick attack. That showed a good stance can has good mobility as well as stability.

Regards,

Steve Lau

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HmorenoM View Post
    When practicing horse stance you should be able to put a water cup in your legs with no spilling it;
    The way that you train your shoulder throw is to hold on your opponent's belt (on the waist) with both hands and throw him over your head. If you can do that, you should have no problem to throw your opponent over your head when grabbing on his arm. When you do that, your legs can be lower than 90 degree angle.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-12-2013 at 11:57 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by HmorenoM View Post
    Shi De Yang's horse stance i mean, i don't want to argue, i'm just asking about it because he says that when practicing horse stance you should be able to put a water cup in your legs with no spilling it; but for that you have to make a really low horse stance, and well, you already said why it could no be correct having a low horse stance like in the pictures.
    Ma Bu, Horse step, Generally a dynamic movement you do in combat. Not something you stand there and hold in front of an opponent. When you use Ma bu, the way you do it is defined by the specific application. The point is it is heavy, it is strong in the vertical direction. You use this stepping technique when you want that attribute.

Ma Bu Zhan Zhuang, Horse stance, When you hold a horse stance for the purpose of training. Again there are variations depending on what it is you are training. But generally we want to build both strength and flexibility of body and endurance of the mind. So yes, it must be low. THis is much much more difficult. If you are training QiGong then it is higher. There is a biting point where if you go too low it becomes the 'toilet' stance and is easier, just before this point the stance is at its most difficult to hold. That is where the water comes in.

SiPing Ma is an extreme position, it can not be held for a very long time. Most people deride the stance simply because they cannot even get close to it. It is important to note that this stance is a little different for every different person. When held there should be no feeling of pressure inside the knees, one can adjust the position accordingly.

In this picture you can see the spike below jackie, this is to stop him making the stance easier by going lower and forming the 'toilet stance'. So he is holding it at about the most difficult point. From this position it is possible to make the stance exponentially more difficult by adjusting the spine to become less slanted.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 05-13-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Thank you RDH and YKW, that why i like to ask here, i know people will answer nicely and with all the arguments they can. Always learning. Thank you very much

Thanks everyone for replyes,nice to get somethings from your knowledges.

So riddle me this... My take on dude in the white shirt is this. If you can execute that type of horse (90 degree at ankles knees with straight back) and effectively transfer into either a. Another stance without hesitation, or b. shift into a kick or other strike without a loss in timing. You my friend are a bad a@@. My reasoning is this, in order to execute said attacks or techniques your strength and flexibility must be on point.

I do want too get something out of the way however. I get the biggest kick (no pun intend however funny) out of no educated or ignorant individuals that view "stances" as the only way martial artists fight. "Hang on let me get into my stance" bwahahahahaha always makes me laugh REALLY hard. I believe that stance training in general is to increase flexibility and strength required to execute different techniques.
    My leg being bionic is a reminder that arogance does not come without a price.

"Keep your skills quiet until it is absolutely necessary to reveal them. And when that time comes, be a divine defender of Buddha." -Gene Ching-... -and "slap them silly."