Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Straight from The Shaolin Center

Quote Originally Posted by bigopen View Post
    I like his enthousiasm, and he trains hard. But a lot of his kung fu looks 'DIY' if you know what I mean. It just looks lacking in root and although there is obvious skill there, it just doesn't click for me.

'His training in Shaolin includes an intense focus on the internal systems of Tai Chi Chuan'
    He's former Shaolin-Do. There was a court case. I assume he's not legally able to mention the word "Shaolin-Do" now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    The bag showed no external effects, but the inside was completely disintegrated.
    Drunken monkey chi beaks?

I'm starting to think we need a "best of Jake Mace" thread.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

honestly though, now that i think about it, guys and guys like him are the poison of martial arts. every bad thought you have had, every bad word you have ever said about 'mcdojo' or 'belt factory' are due to people like him who rape the martial arts for personal financial gain and are not worth their own weight in a fight.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    honestly though, now that i think about it, guys and guys like him are the poison of martial arts. every bad thought you have had, every bad word you have ever said about 'mcdojo' or 'belt factory' are due to people like him who rape the martial arts for personal financial gain and are not worth their own weight in a fight.
    Bingo!!

I'm not buying the excuse that he really believes that monkey beaks and 80's dance moves are "ancient shaolin". Especially since it was his own court case with Sin The where we learned what we've known all long about Shaolin Do.

He claims he visits China to keep up on his studies. I still see monkey beaks and dance moves

So how can people help to remedy the situation?

Personally I saw his vids before reading about the Shaolin-do court case etc, and had a hunch something like that was going on.

If people really want to oust him from the martial arts world then I'd assume you'd need to start posting youtube vids with info on him, with his name in the titles. I don't know about the legal implications of that if it's damaging to his company.

Revive dojo busting.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

You won't. How many people do you see posting here regularly? Not many. The amount of people that actually know who any of these guys are, is such a ridiculously small portion of the population. The amount of people that even give 2 shits about kungfu is such a ridiculously small portion. You can post link after link on youtube and its not going to make a dent. All the info is already out in the public and how many here even knew who he was?

If the legal proceedings didn't do anything to harm his business, there's really not a lot anyone here will accomplish. The majority of his income probably comes from kids and the granola eaters anyways. And neither of those two groups will have any concern over any of this. And I'm just going to assume, judging by his own fitness that's he's probably actually pretty good with those two groups, so I see no reason in trying to interfere with that.

If you want to see the outcome of all this, just go to the SD thread here. Everyone knows about this, and most of them have all decided that the lineage wasn't what they're taking away and most are still happy with what they learned. Good or bad, that's what it is. No one here will change that.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    The majority of his income probably comes from kids and the granola eaters anyways. And neither of those two groups will have any concern over any of this.
    lmao @ "granola eaters"

But still, what you said is 100% true

I unfortunately have to agree. There isn't a lot that can be done.

Even if his students learned that what they did wasn't real Shaolin, most probably wouldn't care. They'd bring up some kind of excuse about how they just want the workout or it doesn't matter what it's called when you defend youself (which is bollocks since monkey beaks and all the other nonsense he teaches won't work against many people. In my experience, most fights are avoided in the first place when one person isn't afraid and the small d!ck agressor sees that you're calling their matcho bluff).

Lots of people that watch his videos love the koolaide and dismiss detractors as trolls.

There's no cure for soccer moms or ignorance. I'm gonna try to reach out to my friends and tell them "yo, if you want your kids to learn sef defense, talk to me before you send them to Gwai Lo's Kong Foo or Tiger Shulman's Karate". Will they listen? Probably not. They saw for themselves that the 20th degree triple black belt can break through pine boards with a flip kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post

Even if his students learned that what they did wasn't real Shaolin, most probably wouldn't care. ...
    I agree with SoCo's post, too. Another factor is that even if folks DID care about seeking out the one true Shaolin, there's a helluva lot of confusion on what the even means. Look at how much discussion and arguing there is on this forum alone as to what is real Shaolin vs. not.

and

Pricing and location are other major factors I have found with the "uninformed" consumer. They will gladly consume an inferior product if a) its cheaper and b) within a 5 min drive of their home.

Especially with kids. A lot of the parents are just looking for an hour of babysitting rather that making sure little Johnny and Susie can defend themselves.
    Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    I agree with SoCo's post, too. Another factor is that even if folks DID care about seeking out the one true Shaolin, there's a helluva lot of confusion on what the even means. Look at how much discussion and arguing there is on this forum alone as to what is real Shaolin vs. not.
    Studying actual temple Shaolin is likely possible, but it's not easy. There are a lot of muddy politics involved. I'm glad I found this out before I wasted my money on the monk I was planning on studying from. As a result, I found an even better teacher (even if said monk was 110% legit).

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    There's no cure for soccer moms or ignorance. I'm gonna try to reach out to my friends and tell them "yo, if you want your kids to learn sef defense, talk to me before you send them to Gwai Lo's Kong Foo or Tiger Shulman's Karate". Will they listen? Probably not. They saw for themselves that the 20th degree triple black belt can break through pine boards with a flip kick.
    After 26 years in martial arts, having studied at a handful of different schools, learned numerous different arts, trained with 1 or 2 semi-legends, and spent a lot of time researching and trying to learn the sholarly side of martial arts as well...

I think the only way to find a legit school for self defense is to either:
    1. Be really lucky
    2. Train for 5 - 10 years, learn as much as you can of the litterary and martial sides of the arts, talk to lots of people that know more than you, and then go searching for a real school.

Quote Originally Posted by JSE View Post
    Pricing and location are other major factors I have found with the "uninformed" consumer. They will gladly consume an inferior product if a) its cheaper and b) within a 5 min drive of their home.

Especially with kids. A lot of the parents are just looking for an hour of babysitting rather that making sure little Johnny and Susie can defend themselves.
    Absolutely! To them, it's all the same. A black belt is a black sash is a flip kick, is a KIIIAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!