Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BJJ beginner question

If you bank on a psychopath then you won't be disappointed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Why clinch unless you have to?
    I can come up many reasons:

- If your opponent is a striker and you want to take his striking ability away ASAP.
    - You are in a crowded space such as a train station that you are just next to your opponent with both bodies touching.
    - You don't want to stand in the court to explain why you had broken your opponent's nose.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Youknowwho- The creator/adaptor of modern BJJ (Helio Gracie) intended it to be a martial art and is against the sport version with all the rules and doesn't like it or believe in it. Some (Gracie) schools still teach the art with a self-defense focus (not sport), including the one I'm attending.

Frost- Cool. Since Helio's passed on, we can agree to disagree on the relative value he placed on the guard position.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
    Youknowwho- The creator/adaptor of modern BJJ (Helio Gracie) intended it to be a martial art and is against the sport version with all the rules and doesn't like it or believe in it. Some (Gracie) schools still teach the art with a self-defense focus (not sport), including the one I'm attending.
    How far do you want to stretch your "combat" training (I don't like the term "self-defense")?

Have you included

- cold weapon?
    - hot weapon?
    - multiple opponent's?
    - rocks, daggers throwing?
    - kick/step on your opponent's head while he is on the ground?
    - small finger joints manipulation?

As long as you use a safe skill "testing" environment, it's "sport" by definition.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-15-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Not sure what you mean by a cold or hot weapon?

Not sure what you mean by a safe skill testing environment? As opposed to....?

Blog Entries
    Not sure what you mean by a cold or hot weapon?

Not sure what you mean by a safe skill testing environment? As opposed to....?
    cold weapon - knife, sword, staff, spear, ...
    hot weapon - firearm, grenade, cannon, missile, ...
    safe skill testing environment - you don't have to kill everyday.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-15-2013 at 09:15 PM.

If you bank on a psychopath then you won't be disappointed
    Yep we should all learn to chi sao to beat the psychopaths and not this grappling rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    I agree that anyone can become complacent in such areas. But my money would be on the guy that spends a lot of time on the ground and is comfortable in those positions more so than the guy that thinks he's going to eye gouge and fish hook his way out of them.
    thats not the point. the point is that when you are training you should not completely dismiss and or ignore these vulnerabilities in the human form. i'd put my money on the guy with the training over the guy with no training that wants to do these types of things in most all cases.

HOWEVER if the training and conditioning are equal, i'd put my money on the guy willing to fight with this kinds of dirty. he will have an advantage if all things else are relatively equal.

people have this mis guided thought that people who will fight dirty like this are all untrained.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Why clinch unless you have to?
    Geez I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP6fUrqbBTA

The 1990's are calling again.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    thats not the point. the point is that when you are training you should not completely dismiss and or ignore these vulnerabilities in the human form. i'd put my money on the guy with the training over the guy with no training that wants to do these types of things in most all cases.

HOWEVER if the training and conditioning are equal, i'd put my money on the guy willing to fight with this kinds of dirty. he will have an advantage if all things else are relatively equal.

people have this mis guided thought that people who will fight dirty like this are all untrained.
    agree. Like I said anything can happen in a fight. I thought we were discussing the person whom wants to gouge, fish hook, eye poke his way out of someone that is trained on the ground. in equal terms of stren., experience, etc. yes the person willing to go the furthest will probably win, but then their are many other deadly variables to consider besides a bite or eye poke if we are talking totality.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    agree. Like I said anything can happen in a fight. I thought we were discussing the person whom wants to gouge, fish hook, eye poke his way out of someone that is trained on the ground. in equal terms of stren., experience, etc. yes the person willing to go the furthest will probably win, but then their are many other deadly variables to consider besides a bite or eye poke if we are talking totality.
    totally, like breaking an elbow!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

got the answer from an instructor the other day. When you wrap your arm around their neck, bringing their head next to yours, you push into the side of their head with the side of yours, thereby 'locking' their head into place and not allowing them the freedom of movement to bite.

ya but then what? you cant keep him there forever. suppose he snakes the free arm on that same side under and over your throat for a fore arm choke? then what will you do? what if he has a knife or a gun or a gaggle of nacho ninjettes? then how do you stop him from biting you?

Blog Entries
    You may have more chance to bite into your opponent's leg if he applies armbar on you.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=NVPFVR

I am taking BJJ at a self defense (as opposed to sport) oriented school-Gracie Jiu jitsu.
    It seems to me that when someone is in my guard (if I'm using the term right), when I'm on my back with my legs wrapped around their hips and their head hugged down next to mine with my right arm wrapped around their head and my left hand on their right upper arm, hugging them close, that I am very vulnerable to being bitten in this position in a streetfight- it would be very easy for the guy on top to bite my neck, shoulder, chest, etc..

Any thoughts on this? am I wrong?
    Since you are taking bjj classes why don't you ask your instructor to show you how easily your nightmare scenario is to deal with. Do you think in all the years of vale tudo and challenge fights no one ever saw this glaring error but you?