Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BJJ beginner question

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You may have more chance to bite into your opponent's leg if he applies armbar on you.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=NVPFVR
    No. If you are arm barred trying to bite is not going to save you.

If there is one place where the 'sport Vs Street" thing should not raise its head, it is in BJJ.
    Why?
    Because BJJ uses the exact same stuff for BOTH.
    It has been proven and shown over and over that the core principle of BJJ - positional dominance- is the key to survival in and out of the ring.

The Gracie marketing machine aside ( and when speaking of BJJ we MUST always put that aside), the fact is that BJJ and GJJ use the same principles and techniques regardless of sport or street.

The person in better position has the better chance of winning and by better position I mean the position for THEM from which THEY CAN FIGHT WELL.

The base of BJJ is "position before submission", this emphasizes the importance of the key element in BJJ ( and every MA really) - positional dominance.
    The next stage is - submission from every position.
    This is where the practitoner has developed his game to such a level that ANY position is a position of potential dominance.

Sport BJJ has some issues, yes BUT the majority of successful sport BJJ guys make the transition to MMA pretty well so that means something.

And no, biting and eye poking do not work to end a fight.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Fingers to the eyes is a distraction to set up a powerful technique, much like groin kick. Can a solid, square groin kick end the fight? Sure, but it should never be counted on for that purpose, when used as intended, it allows an opening for cross, hook, round kick, ect.

Biting, by the very nature of how it must be applied, is a last ditch effort from a severely compromised position. It is not an attack, it is a "hail Mary."

Dirty fighting can be a useful tool to help set up the finish of a fight, but you should never count on these techniques to end the fight on their own. Too many people think they are the magic bullet, ace in the hole, they are much more akin to a jab, a feint, a cross kick, a distraction to land the powerful technique.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If there is one place where the 'sport Vs Street" thing should not raise its head, it is in BJJ.
    Why?
    Because BJJ uses the exact same stuff for BOTH.
    It has been proven and shown over and over that the core principle of BJJ - positional dominance- is the key to survival in and out of the ring.

The Gracie marketing machine aside ( and when speaking of BJJ we MUST always put that aside), the fact is that BJJ and GJJ use the same principles and techniques regardless of sport or street.

The person in better position has the better chance of winning and by better position I mean the position for THEM from which THEY CAN FIGHT WELL.

The base of BJJ is "position before submission", this emphasizes the importance of the key element in BJJ ( and every MA really) - positional dominance.
    The next stage is - submission from every position.
    This is where the practitoner has developed his game to such a level that ANY position is a position of potential dominance.

Sport BJJ has some issues, yes BUT the majority of successful sport BJJ guys make the transition to MMA pretty well so that means something.

Exactly!!!

I have just started training BJJ on a regular basis and love it. Let go of the whole street v sport and just train. I love the mix with my Kung Fu.

I think most comp BJJ guys would eat the majority of the Kung Fu guys for breakfast.

Im just being honest and I love Kung Fu but you got to be honest....If you have zero ground game its over.

Just saying
    Last edited by Blacktiger; 05-27-2013 at 11:11 PM.