Thread: Pin Sun Wing Chun (new clip)

Hybrid View

Pin Sun Wing Chun (new clip)

Hello,

I am in the process of uploading some new clips to Youtube.

The first clip is the late Master Fung Chun talking about his teachers Gongfu. The late Master Fung Chun was the last disciple of Wong Wah Sam. Wong Wah Sam was Leung Jan's nephew and heir in Gulao.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Znf_wO4b18

Peace,
    Last edited by Jim Roselando; 05-16-2013 at 04:57 AM.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roselando View Post
    Cool , what's he saying ?

The pin sun stuff is interesting to me.

In the MMA circles I travel there's an ongoing debate and modification to fighting stances between a more pure boxing stance (which is more side facing) and a muy thai stance (which is more front facing). The debate has to do with having more striking elements online in a front facing stance to a little more reach in a side facing stance. Also in play are defensive elements to protect against takedowns.

Whatever elements of this debate, discussion, experimentation that have gone on before from the ancestors of wing chun who actually fought are very interesting to me.

Kev wrote:

Cool , what's he saying ?

In a nutshell:

Wong Wah Sam was very small. (JJR Note: 4' 11"/98lbs) His Gongfu was intense. He would join, cycle under, cycle over, cycle out to in and in to out etc.. Always twisting/angling sideways (San Ying).

Not exact but close enough!

Enjoy
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roselando View Post
    Kev wrote:
    Wong Wah Sam was very small. (JJR Note: 4' 11"/98lbs) His Gongfu was intense. He would join, cycle under, cycle over, cycle out to in and in to out etc.. Always twisting/angling sideways (San Ying).
    Cool. This reminds me of Ricardo De La Riva in BJJ. Little guy grew up in a big guy academy with everyone always bulling in on him, smash pass, etc. So he invented a guard that redirects the opponents bull smash offline from the center of the body to the side.

In your experience with pin san methods, is that one of it's advantages - redirection of a crash forward force offline?