Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy

Philosophy

Many martial arts have philosophy. Many martial arts also have a code of ethics that defines the "ideal" martial artist. I think ethics are very important in life. I have talked to many people about ethics. Some have told me it is just human limits we put on ourself for no reason. Everyone's opinion is fine, but I believe from experience that being a good moral person is a goal of many martial artists.

The tenets of tae kwon do. Simple, to the point, but applicable to life nonetheless.

Courtesy
    Integrity
    Perseverence
    Self Control
    Indomitable Spirit

I believe these attributes must be practised just as much as the physical techniques themselves. This is just my opinion though, some say they only take a martial art for self defense. I still think this applies to them though.

One of the reasons I am into the martial arts is because I used to think it was just violence, but now I see the real spirit behind it. Not just in ethics though. I have seen the martial arts have such a positive impact on so many people.

My brother probably had less self esteem than anyone I've ever known. He was always so depressed. Taking tae kwon do has truly livened his spirit. He seems to really be alive for the first time now. The martial arts can really change a person for the better if it is more than just the physical fighting.

Any comments?
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

Different Strokes for different folks. I do what I do for fun and competition...not really even for self defense, although that's an offshoot.

I certainly don't do it for character development.

But if you like it who's to judge?

Hey that's great, I apologize if in my post I made it seem like that is the way you should think. I should have more strongly pointed out that that is just my opinion.

Like it or not violence is an aspect of martial arts. However, it is not the most important aspect.
    K. Mark Hoover

Oh yes, there is no denying it that violence is part of the martial arts. But like yin and yang we must not let violence consume us. In other words, we must not practice the martial arts to be violent, though that is just a part of it.

We repeat this when we first bow and enter onto the deck of the school.

Honesty, Respect, Courtesy, Disipline! (Then each student says his name)

Our students have to bow entering and leaving the school. We also use Ma'am and Sir. Weather it's making a difference in our students I like to think so. However I believe the best way to influence others is to lead by example! If the students see you acting contrary to whats expected of them you will have trouble with teaching and correction.

When starting class we say this training creed:

Honesty in Heart
    Knowledge in the Mind
    Strength in the Body

Any other schools run this way?

In my TKD school we do things similar. We bow entering and leaving the dojang. Every class we all say "courtesy, integrity, perseverence, self control, indomitable spirit" as well as the student oath. We ALWAYS say sir or ma'am even when they ask you to do the simplest things like stand up or go over there. We always bow to the instructor/s, who we are sparring, and at the end of class we bow to the highest ranking student.

Mr. Nunchaku,
    I have a lot to say on this subject (pro-ethic) though I don't have much time right now.
    Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to post, but I'm busy with lots of things these days including college and new MA studies.

Take care,
    (I'll try to give this subject justice tomorrow)

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Great. That would be much appreciated.

Philosophy

real basic...how many of you practice/ teach an already established philosophy, ie Taoism,Buddhism, Confucianism, etc. in your school/life or have made up your own ??How important is philosophy in your life?? Do you believe in spirituality??Do you see the spiritual connection to your practices because of your philosophy ??

I practieczen meditation as well as transcendental meditation.
    I read sutras, have been reading the lotus sutra for the last 6 months or so again, but have also read the diamond and the lankavatara.

I have copies of the analects, the I Ching in a couple of interpretations, the bardo thodal, the collected works of Jung, the Tao te Ching in a couple of iterations and other sino-philosphical books.

I also read the new and old testaments on occasion, works by krishnamurti, poetry by Tagore and have dogeared copies of thus spake zarathustra,inferno, the prince, the crystal mountain, war and peace and other European neo classics on philosophy.

i love living in a country where all these things are available for my study and thought. I don't teach any of this to otehrs but will indicate where they can source the material if they choose to do so.

There are concepts that can be used analogously within martial arts to explain some things, but overall, martial arts is martial arts and not a lot of cerebral chit chat with neophytes and philo masters alike.

The sound of one hand clapping has little to do with correct mechanics and optimum force delivered from a strong structure. But it can help the state of mind required to do the task at hand.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Smile Teaching ...

Real basic...how many of you practice/ teach an already established philosophy, ie Taoism,Buddhism, Confucianism, etc. in your school/life or have made up your own ??

Interesting that you would look at Buddhism, Daosim, and Confucianism as philosophy. Indeed, they are. In the case of Daoism and Confucianism, to a certain degrees Buddhism, It is based on ancient studies of traditional knowledge rooted in specific worldview. Daoism is more emperical behavoiral and leaning towards natural law; while, Confucianism is more philosophical/reasoning leaning towards humanism IMHO. It's a matter of perception and perspective. Personally, I am quasi Hindu/Buddhist/Daoist with only a smitch of Confucianism. On the whole, I am more of a mystically inclinded person. Currently, I am dealing with 3 major areas: Yoga (haven't decide on one particular path yet), Golden Mean, and Yijing (classic of change - Daoist perspective). All these tied to my Kung Fu.

How important is philosophy in your life??

It is very important. How I perceive affects is how I think and vice versa. Applying philosophy help my effeciency in dealing with the conflicts and challenges of daily life and chosen life style.

Do you believe in spirituality??

Yes, very much so.

Do you see the spiritual connection to your practices because of your philosophy ??

Couldn't do without it.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

I'll read an passage from the Bible, from the Tao Te Ching, from the Dhammapada, from anything from time to time to stimulate my student's mind. I have two goals: to make them martially proficient so they feel safe/confident to speak and act their minds in public, and to realise they need to first to control and discipline their mind so they can set it free .... choosing anything they want from a certain freedom, not an addictive or socially brainwashed state.

real basic...how many of you practice/ teach an already established philosophy, ie Taoism,Buddhism, Confucianism, etc. in your school/life or have made up your own ??How important is philosophy in your life?? Do you believe in spirituality??Do you see the spiritual connection to your practices because of your philosophy ??
    I'd have to say I follow my own philosophy / religion based on what I've learned. I have a strong Christian background and have read the Bible cover-to-cover more than once, but I've also read alot of Buddhist and Taoist philosophy. Personally, I think the Truth lies somewhere inside of all of these things, but I'm a huge believer that people have to make their own informed choices about religion and philosphy. If you don't find it for yourself then you really aren't learning anything.

I don't really see a big spiritual connection to my practices because of my philosophy, but I recognize that mental discipline is required in order to be a better fighter.. I think Ray said it best when talking about his students:
    I have two goals: to make them martially proficient so they feel safe/confident to speak and act their minds in public, and to realise they need to first to control and discipline their mind so they can set it free
    Last edited by Reggie1; 07-14-2006 at 11:15 AM.

True.

Everyone is to learn and study about his or her life for his or her own sake. The purpose and meaning of one's life or living.

--

You may learn the moves without the poetic names or underlying principles or symbolism.

You are taking the forms of things.

However, to go deeper beyond the forms is entirely up to you.

These are philosophies of MA in forms, symbolism and beyond.

They may not have anything to do with your personal belief in the general scheme of life or religions.