Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Politicians

Hybrid View

Politicians endorsing martial arts

Hopefully, this thread will grow over time...
    President Patil Advises Girls to Take up Martial Arts
    Faisal Fareed
    Daijiworld Media Network - Lucknow

Lucknow, Nov 3: President Pratibha Devi Singh Patil has suggested martial arts be taught to girls. The self defence martial arts are a means for self protection against the rising crime against women, she opined.

The President was guest of honour during the quasquicentennial celebration of Isabella Thoburn College in Lucknow on Wednesday. The IT College, which is celebrating its 125th year of foundation was founded in July 1886 and was earlier called as Lucknow’ Women College. A postage stamp on the college was also increased on the occasion.

The President also mentioned that girls should be taught judo and karate for their self protection which is always the best protection and a medium of self defence.

She also expressed deep concern over rising number of crime against women in the country and asked the authorities to pay attention towards this trend. She stated that families are concerned over the safety of female members.

She also quoted the example of Rajasthan which she stated that during her governorship, females were given 33 percent reservation in police force and they have now emerged as protectors. The President during her speech also hinted at women empowerment and gender equality and advocated full partnership of women in all activities.

"There are two sides, women in India have attained success in all spheres of life like scaling peaks of Himalayas and top corporate posts, still there are malpractices of female foeticides and dowry," she said. President Patil also urged teh colleges to provide education and inculcate social values for developing a person in a responsible citizen.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Outstanding!

Martial Arts Politicians

This is so great, it deserves a new thread from me. Hopefully more politicians will step up and follow suite.
    Posted on Wednesday, 05.15.13
    HIALEAH/MIAMI LAKES
    Hialeah, Miami Lakes mayors to duke it out in ‘mixed martial arts’ bout

Miami Lakes Mayor Michael Pizzi, left, and Hialeah Mayor Carlos Hernandez pose in front of Milander Park in Hialeah on Apri 25. The pair will fight in a mixed martial arts match for charity later this summer. ROBERTO KOLTUN / EL NUEVO HERALD

A couple of South Florida city leaders fighting wouldn’t be unusual, but two Northwest Miami-Dade mayors are taking it to a new extreme — with a real “mixed martial arts” match in front of an audience.

Hialeah Mayor Carlos Hernandez and Michael Pizzi, mayor of neighboring Miami Lakes, say they will take to the ring, or in this case an octagon, this summer. They say it’s all for charity, but that doesn’t stop them from trash-talking.

“He will last 30 seconds,” boasted Pizzi, 50. “I will knock him out, but I am going to catch him and lay him on the ground so he doesn’t get too badly embarrassed in front of his colleagues.”

They have not yet set a date, but the fight will take place on Hernandez’s turf, in Hialeah’s Milander Auditorium, on an unannounced date. Money raised from the brawl will go towards children’s programs in each of the cities.

Pizzi’s share will go towards the city’s youth center, which is slated to open by the end of the year. He said he wants to put money toward activities such as dance classes, martial arts classes and scholarships.

Hernandez, 52, is considering Best Buddies as one of his charities, and is still weighing other options.

Pizzi said he and Hernandez came up with the idea over dinner at Shula’s Steakhouse a few weeks ago.

“This is what happens when two middle-aged men meet and have dinner and talk about who was tougher in their childhoods,” Pizzi said

During that story swap session Pizzi, who hails from Brooklyn, told Hernandez he was known as the “Brooklyn Brawler.”

Pizzi earned that nickname after he won some 25 street fights and boxing matches in a row as a teenager.

“At heart I am a middle-class street kid,” Pizzi said. “In my neighborhood, I used to box at the YMCA and I used to get into two or three fights on the way to school. I came from a tough neighborhood.”

Hernandez has been involved with martial arts since he was a teen.

He calls this fight a contest between “the street bully versus the trained athlete.”

Pizzi said he expects the fight to generate at least $100,000. .

Hernandez said has already had locals contact him to contribute.

“I’ve had plenty of calls from people wanting to buy front-row seats,” he said.

Hernandez said they hope to make the mayoral throwdown an exhibition match on a slate of professional mixed martial arts fights.

Although the fight is weeks or months away, both mayors already have come out swinging, albeit verbally.

“We’re going to have a weigh-in downstairs in the chambers and we’ll probably get into a fight at the weigh-in,” Pizzi said. “This will be really great.”

Hernandez said he won’t add on to his normal training routine. He works out with his 13-year-old son, who studies Brazilian jujitsu.

“I’m going to train as hard as it takes to beat Mayor Pizzi,” he laughed. “And that’s not a lot of training. I might have to pull back to make it a fair fight.”

Hernandez is coming into the fight at 5 feet 10 inches and 193 pounds, while Pizzi is 5 feet 9 inches and 205 pounds. But Pizzi said he already has started a strict diet to get into fighting shape.

“I am down to only one beer on Saturday and I only eat pizza three times a week for dinner,” said Pizzi, adding he tries to fit work-outs into his schedule. “I have lost a couple of ounces.”

Hernandez said he’s concerned about Pizzi’s training routine.

“If he is cutting back on beer and pizza, then he’s serious.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2017!

This thread (well, one post actually) was originally titled MMA Politicians. I'm changing the title to Martial Arts Politicians to make it more general and hopefully develop more of a list over time. We shall see...

Martial arts expert sworn in as Mongolian president
    Monday, July 10, 2017 - 19:02

=
    Mongolian businessman and martial arts expert Khaltmaa Battulga was sworn in as president Monday, vowing to revive the flagging economy and pursue relations with countries outside its giant neighbours Russia and China. PHOTO: REUTERS

[ULAN BATOR] Mongolian businessman and martial arts expert Khaltmaa Battulga was sworn in as president Monday, vowing to revive the flagging economy and pursue relations with countries outside its giant neighbours Russia and China.

Mr Battulga inherits a US$5.5 billion International Monetary Fund-led bailout intended to stabilise the economy of the debt-laden country and lessen its dependence on China, which purchases 80 per cent of Mongolia's exports.

In his inauguration speech, Mr Battulga pledged to "stand for equally beneficial foreign relations" and to pay "special attention to the 'third neighbour policy'" - a push toward strengthening Mongolia's partnerships with the US, Japan, Germany and other countries beyond its two powerful neighbours.

The opposition Democratic Party (DP) candidate, who was elected with 50.6 per cent of the vote in a runoff last Friday, said he wanted to kickstart the economy, end poverty and boost the manufacturing sector.

The billionaire property tycoon and world champion in the Soviet martial art Sambo ran a populist campaign that was linked to simmering anti-China sentiments.

At one rally last month, Battulga supporters accused anti-Battulga protesters of being "mixed Chinese", and a video circulated on social media purporting that opponent and parliament speaker Mieygombo Enkhbold of the ruling Mongolian People's Party (MPP) has Chinese ancestry.

The Chinese foreign ministry noted this element of the campaigns on Monday while congratulating the new president on his election victory.

"During the election, certain politicians made some untrue and irresponsible remarks," foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said during a regular press briefing.

"We express concerns about this." Mr Battulga also promised to "fight against the selling of public service positions," which Mt Enkhbold and other MPP officials had been accused of doing.

Mr Battulga replaces Tsakhia Elbegdorj, also of the DP, after the outgoing president served the maximum two four-year terms.

AFP
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Mongolian President Khaltmaa Battulga

I decided to merge our 'Politicians endorsing martial arts' thread with our 'Martial Arts Politicians' thread. They are actually two different topics but neither was doing very well. Someday, I'll go back and copy the politicians out of the Celebrities studying martial arts? thread to fill this one out a little more.

Mongolia’s president, a former martial-arts champion, wrestles with some major problems
    UPDATED: Sun., June 17, 2018, 9:46 p.m.

Mongolian President Khaltmaa Battulga lifts weights at a gym in the Mongolian capital of Ulaanbaatar on May 26, 2018. (Giulia Marchi / Washington Post)
    By Simon Denyer
    Washington Post

ARVAIKHEER, Mongolia – On the vast Mongolian steppe, birthplace of Genghis Khan, a strong man has arisen. Literally. Mongolia’s President Khaltmaa Battulga is a former world martial arts champion who still trains regularly, a friend of Russia’s Vladimir Putin and a business tycoon with a tough-guy image.

He is also a nationalist and something of a populist. Battulga swept into office last year by casting himself as a Trump-like outsider, a champion of the poor taking on a corrupt and self-serving political elite.

Like the U.S. president, this is a man who says he always wins, whose campaign motto was “Mongolia will win.” But he is now wrestling with the challenge of his life.

Mongolians overthrew an authoritarian communist regime in 1990 in a peaceful democratic revolution. Nearly three decades of democracy have fostered progress but also glaring inequality, leaving nearly 30 percent of the population in poverty. Corruption is rampant, the dark side of the country’s huge reserves of copper, coal and gold.

“I asked before the election and I am still asking,” the gruff-voiced Battulga told a town hall meeting in Arvaikheer in central Mongolia last month. “Why are the people of a country so rich in resources still so poor?”

Battulga, 55, rose from poverty to the country’s highest post, leapfrogging from a sambo wrestling world championship to a successful business career, but his power as president is limited – parliament and the prime minister’s job are in the hands of a rival political party. Battulga has an important role in setting foreign policy, but his ambitions are much grander.

For the past three months, he has been touring Mongolia, holding town hall meetings in every one of the nation’s 21 provinces, asking for popular support in his battle to improve the way his country is governed.

“Do you get the feeling the president we chose is on his own?” he asked hundreds of people packed into a theater here. “It is time to start talking about president plus who? President plus the people, working together.”

Luvsandendev Sumati, director of the independent Sant Maral polling organization, underscores the parallels between the most recent Mongolian and U.S. presidential elections.

After the dirtiest presidential contest in Mongolia’s history, he said, many people stayed away or cast blank ballots in protest. In the end, though, Battulga’s anti-establishment status outweighed questions about his business record and past corruption allegations.

“The poor decided he is their president, and once people decide that, they forgive you everything,” Sumati said. “Anti-establishment politicians are taking over the globe. Why should Mongolia be any different?”

This is the most sparsely populated country in the world, the size of Texas, California and Montana combined but home to just 3 million people, living in the giant shadows of Russia to the north and China to the south. Culturally, it remains closer to its northern neighbor, but economically it is dependent on its booming southern neighbor, with more than 80 percent of its exports flowing there.

Distrust of China runs high here, however, and Battulga exploited that to portray himself as a pro-Moscow, anti-Beijing candidate during the campaign. As president, though, he takes a more pragmatic approach, saying that Mongolia should be friends with both countries while “re-balancing” to reduce China’s trade dominance.

A former president of Mongolia’s judo association, he shares a love of wrestling, and a friendship, with Putin.

“Because we both practiced judo, it is easier for us to communicate,” he said in an interview, noting that Putin is also “president of a country that has been our neighbor for thousands of years.”

But Battulga wants American support, too. In 1990, then-Secretary of States James Baker III pledged that the United States would be the “third neighbor” to the newly democratic Mongolia, a pledge repeated when President George W. Bush visited in 2005. More recently, another secretary of state, John Kerry, praised Mongolia as an “oasis of democracy” between Russia and China.

Yet U.S. defense and security ties with Mongolia are much stronger than economic ties, which account for less than 2 percent of Mongolian trade.

“The praises of the United States that Mongolia is ‘an oasis of democracy’ or ‘model of democracy’ have not brought any substantial contribution to the economy,” Battulga wrote in a letter to President Donald Trump in December. “Discouraged by this fact, ordinary citizens of Mongolia are losing confidence in democracy and doubting the choice of democratic path.”

Battulga asked for improved access for Mongolian textile exports to the United States. Trump replied that he would be delighted to explore ways to boost trade in a “fair and equitable manner,” according to the Mongolian presidential office.

UPDATED: JUNE 17, 2018, 9:46 P.M.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jeffrey Monson

SEPTEMBER 10, 2018 / 12:15 PM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO
    U.S. MMA fighter Jeff Monson elected to local council in Russia
    2 MIN READ

MOSCOW (Reuters) - U.S. mixed martial arts fighter Jeffrey Monson, granted Russian citizenship by President Vladimir Putin in May, was elected on Sunday to the council of deputies of a small city just outside Moscow, official election results showed on Monday.

FILE PHOTO: American mixed martial arts fighter Jeff Monson attends a news conference in St. Petersburg, Russia October 17, 2013. Interpress/Andrei Pronin via REUTERS
    Monson, 47, a tattooed cage fighter known as The Snowman, registered in June to run for a seat on the council of Krasnogorsk, northwest of Moscow, where election documents say he now works as a coach in a sports club.

On the website of Moscow region’s election commission, Monson is listed as fourth on the ruling United Russia party’s list of candidates for the Krasnogorsk city council.

FILE PHOTO: A man casts his ballot during mayor election at a polling station in Moscow, Russia September 9, 2018. REUTERS/Sergei Karpukhin
    United Russia won 47.9 percent of this vote, automatically securing a seat for the MMA fighter, who was born in the U.S. state of Minnesota.

Writing on social media, Monson, who has previously cultivated ties to the Russian Communist Party, said he ran as an independent.

“I was invited by United Russia party to run but I am independent. Unfortunately I learned there are no communists in Communist party in Russia,” Monson said on Monday.

Monson, a vocal critic of U.S. foreign policy, said in January 2016 he was applying for Russian citizenship because he had felt a solidarity with the Russian people since he first visited their country in 2011.

“I have big plans for work with children, am preparing various projects, including projects focused on promoting healthy lifestyles,” Monson was cited as saying on election day by the local division of the United Russia party.

“Everything I do in Krasnogorsk - it’s because I love Russia,” Monson was cited as saying.

Videos shared on Monson’s official Instagram page showed the sportsman in a Russia hockey team sweater, casting a ballot at a Krasnogorsk polling station with the help of a translator.
    '...there are no communists in Communist party in Russia' WTH?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Monson

The Strange Career Of Jeff Monson, American MMA Fighter Turned Russian Politician
    Karim Zidan
    Yesterday 4:06pm

Screenshot: YouTube

On September 9, 2018, American mixed martial arts fighter Jeff Monson became a government official in the Russian Federation. The former UFC title challenger, who was granted Russian citizenship by President Vladimir Putin less than four months earlier, was elected to a council of deputies in the city of Krasnogorsk, just outside Moscow.

Video footage posted on Monson’s social media accounts showed the fighter strolling up to a Krasnogorsk polling station dressed in a hockey jersey, where he cast his ballot with the help of a translator. Despite his previous affiliation with the Communist Party of Russia, Monson was listed as a candidate under the country’s ruling party, United Russia.

The switch worked in Monson’s favor. United Russia won 47.9 percent of the vote, which secured a council seat for the fighter by default. Despite the language barrier between Monson, who was born in Minnesota, and his constituents, the fighter plans to push an agenda that focuses on children, families in need, unemployment, and environmental concerns facing the city. Naturally, he also plans to introduce specific sports programs for children.

“Everything I do in Krasnogorsk, I do because I love Russia,” Monson was quoted as saying following the election results on Monday.

Monson’s evolution from American muscle to Russian statesman has set his career on the strangest trajectory in combat sports. His affinity for Russia and the Russian people is hard to deny, but what’s harder to suss out at this point is is whether his political activism is legitimate and capable of making meaningful changes for his constituents, or if his political career is doomed to be remembered as nothing more than a failed PR stunt.

Long before Monson decided to become a professional fighter, he had already settled into a career as a child psychologist. After spending his early childhood in Minnesota and Germany, Monson received a bachelor’s degree in psychology from the University of Illinois, and a master’s degree in psychology from the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD). During that time, he also moonlit as an assistant wrestling coach for UMD. After graduation, Monson worked as a mental health professional for several years. He specialized in crisis evaluation, as well as child and family counseling.

“I worked with severe mentally ill patients—bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, personality disorders—I really loved the job,” Monson told Deadspin during a phone interview. “I also did family counseling on the side. I really enjoyed the work but I just had this unfinished feeling in my body. Nothing could satisfy it.”

Monson had been drawn to psychology and family counseling because of his personal experiences with his own family. Monson’s father died when he was two years old, leaving the young boy to be raised by his stepfather. A military man and a disciplinarian, his stepfather made Monson’s life difficult. His hardline style of parenting strained their relationship to the point of emotional abuse. Despite what Monson now refers to as a “difficult relationship” with his stepfather, he credits him with shaping his competitive nature in sports and forming his interest in wrestling.

Monson began wrestling in high school and eventually joined the Division I team at Oregon State University. He won a Pac-10 championship for Oregon and continued wrestling for Illinois and USA Wrestling while completing his psychology degree. At the time, he did not see wrestling as a viable future for himself. This changed when he began to watch Josh Barnett and Randy Couture compete for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

“I saw them win UFC titles and I thought that if they could do that, these guys that I know, then maybe I could,” Monson explained. “So I started training. I started taking amateur fights and won them all.”

Determined to become a champion fighter, Monson accepted a spot to compete in the Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC) Submission Wrestling World Championship in 1999. At the time, Monson was training at the American Martial Arts Centre in Washington State under the tutelage of legendary coach Matt Hume. Though a decent collegiate wrestler at the time—“good, not great,” according to Monson—he knew he had no business stepping on the mat with renowned submission specialists and world champions: “All I knew was how not to get caught in basic submissions.”

Monson got himself a passport and boarded a flight to the United Arab Emirates, his first trip outside the United States as an adult. He arrived with the intention of not embarrassing himself or his coach. Instead, he defeated four Brazilians in a row to win the 88–98 kilogram weight class. His performances were so dominant that he earned the nickname “The Snowman,” a moniker that captured his wins that weekend. Much like a snowball rolling down a hill, Monson had continued to get bigger and stronger as the tournament wore on.

After the event, Monson wandered through the desert surrounding the Abu Dhabi Combat Club in a daze. After arriving in the Gulf as an obscure fighter with limited grappling credentials, he would leave as one of the world’s top submission grapplers. In the span of two days in a distant land, he had achieved his competitive desires. When it came time to fly home, he boarded the plane with a calmness he had never experienced before.

“I felt as though if I crash now, at least my life will be complete,” he said.

Upon his return stateside, Monson began to focus on his budding career in combat sports. After trying his hand at professional mixed martial arts, he decided to give up his job as a mental health professional to maximize his potential. By 2000, Monson had compiled a 5-2 pro record and had signed with the UFC. He made his promotional debut at UFC 27, where he defeated Tim Lajcik by unanimous decision. His victory, however, was short-lived, as Monson lost to UFC legend Chuck Liddell less than three months later and parted ways with the promotion as a result. He returned two years later but was knocked out by Ricco Rodriguez.

With a less-than-stellar 7-4 record, Monson decided to gain experience on the regional circuit before trying his luck in the UFC again. He compiled 13 consecutive victories between 2003-2005, claiming heavyweight titles for CWFC, XFC, and SportFight. Upon his return to the UFC in 2006, he extended his win streak with victories against Brandon Lee Hinkle, his ADCC rival Marcio Cruz, and Anthony Perosh. His impressive 3-0 run in the UFC earned him a heavyweight title shot against Tim Sylvia.

The Sylvia vs. Monson title fight was the co-main event of UFC 65: Bad Intentions. Monson lasted all five rounds with the heavyweight champion but lost by unanimous decision. It was the last time that the Snowman would compete for the UFC.

Following his exit from the UFC, Monson was viewed as a journeyman. He spent the next 10 years—a time period that encompassed the remainder of his MMA career—competing for approximately 40 different promotions. His fights took him around the world, including countries such as France, South Korea, Ukraine, England, Switzerland, Israel, and finally, Russia. This strange career trajectory brought Monson face-to-face with notable opposition such as current UFC champion Daniel Cormier, Roy Nelson, Pedro Rizzo, and Josh Barnett.

It was during this twilight stage in Monson’s career that he came up against arguably the greatest heavyweight of all time, Fedor Emelianenko. The bout took place at an M-1 Global event on November 2011 at the Olympic Arena in Moscow, and was attended by Vladimir Putin himself. Despite suffering a broken leg during the fight, Monson survived the entire duration of the bout, losing by unanimous decision. His performance earned the respect and admiration of Russian fight fans, and helped make him one of the most popular American fighters in Russia.

M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Monson will be remembered for the dramatic main event, but it was also the night where Russian MMA fans showered Putin with boos as he stepped into the ring to congratulate the fighters.

Though momentarily surprised, Putin regained his composure and complemented Fedor on his impressive performance before stating that Monson was endowed with the “Russian spirit.” According to Monson, Putin had more to say the following day.

“The next day in the hotel, Putin called me,” Monson told Deadspin. “I picked up the phone and the hotel staff transferred me to another line. Then someone said, ‘the next voice you’re going to hear will be Vladimir Putin.’ It was. We spoke for a few minutes. He congratulated me and said it was a good fight that showed the Russian spirit. He said he was proud of me and thanked me for performing. It was kinda cool that he did that.”

continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Reminds me of the recall that gave Cali the Governator

‘Some call it a circus’: dictator’s son, boxing icon and former actor vie to lead Philippines

Presidential vote is likely to be referendum on the kind of governance the public wants after almost six years of Rodrigo Duterte in power

Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos, the son of the late Philippines dictator, files his certificate of candidacy for president in Pasay city. Photograph: Eloisa Lopez/Reuters

Rebecca Ratcliffe South-east Asia correspondent
    Mon 18 Oct 2021 22.14 EDT

A dictator’s son, an actor-turned-mayor, and a champion boxer: an eclectic mix of personalities declared this month that they would compete to become the Philippine’s next president.

More than 60 million Filipinos will go to the polls to decide who should replace the populist leader Rodrigo Duterte, who is nearing the end of his six-year term limit.

“Some call it a circus, I actually call it a fiesta,” says Tony La Viña, Dean of the Ateneo School of Government. “It’s going to be very interesting, with lots of twists and turns.”

The election in May 2022 comes at a crucial time for the Philippines, which has faced one of the worst Covid outbreaks in south-east Asia and has distributed enough vaccine doses to fully protect just under a quarter of the population. The pandemic, and long, punishing lockdown restrictions, have battered the economy.

For Duterte, too, the stakes are especially high. Last month, the international criminal court (ICC) announced that it was investigating his so-called “war on drugs”, in which as many as 30,000 people are estimated to have been killed. A sympathetic successor could adopt his stance of not cooperating with the court.

According to polling by Pulse Asia, his daughter Sara Duterte is currently the frontrunner for the top job. Yet she has denied that she will join the race, and has missed the deadline to file a candidacy – unless she chooses to become a last-minute substitute, as her father did in 2016.

It is expected to be a tight race. Almost neck-and-neck for second place, according to the early polling, is former senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr, namesake and son of the late dictator, Isko Moreno, a former actor and current Manila mayor, and the senator and boxing champion Manny Pacquiao. Behind them, is vice-president Leni Robredo, an outspoken critic of Duterte, and Senator Panfilo Lacson, a former police chief.

“It’s anybody’s game,” says Carmel V Abao, assistant professor in the department of political science at Ateneo de Manila University. The vote, she added, is likely to be referendum on the kind of governance the public wants after almost six years of Duterte in power.

Manny Pacquiao: the boxer

Philippine boxing icon and Senator Manny Pacquiao Photograph: Xinhua/REX/Shutterstock

Pacquiao is a champion boxer and national icon, with a rags-to-riches story that resonates with many. He grew up in Mindanao, one of the poorest areas of the country – and also Duterte’s stronghold. He left aged 14 as a stowaway on a boat bound for Manila, and worked in construction jobs, sending money back home, before he was spotted as a talented fighter.

Pacquiao began his political career in 2010, becoming a member of the House of Representatives and, despite a poor attendance record, a senator in 2016.

An evangelical Christian, he has said he opposes divorce, abortion and same-sex marriage. He was widely criticised for stating that people in same-sex relationships “are worse than animals”.

In the past, Pacquiao has fervently defended Duterte, even claiming the president was anointed by God. He supported Duterte’s brutal war on drugs, despite admitting using drugs himself as a teenager. He also helped remove Senator Leila De Lima from her position as chair of the Justice and Human Rights Committee. She is a critic of Duterte who was investigating killings related to anti-drugs operations who has been imprisoned on drugs charges she says are politically motivated.

Relations between Pacquiao and Duterte have since soured, however. Pacquiao has lashed out at Duterte over a recent corruption scandal and accused him of not being tough on China. He has also said he will not block the ICC’s investigation into the war on drugs.

It’s not clear if Pacquiao’s status as a boxing champion will translate into enough votes to win the top job. However, he is expected to weaken Duterte’s loyal base in Mindanao.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous

Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos: dictator’s son

Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos with his wife, Louise (L) and his sister Imee (R). Photograph: Romeo Ranoco/Reuters

Ferdinand Marcos Jr, known as Bongbong Marcos, is the namesake and only son of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, who ruled until 1986 and plundered as much as US$10bn from the state coffers. Under martial law, which was imposed by Marcos in 1972, an estimated 34,000 people were tortured, 3,240 people were killed and 70,000 were imprisoned, according to Amnesty International.

Bongbong Marcos, however, has downplayed the abuses committed under his father.

He studied philosophy, politics and economics at Oxford University, but reportedly did not complete the course (he was instead awarded a special diploma in social studies, according to Rappler). Then, aged 23, he was elected unopposed as the vice-governor of Ilocos Norte. The family was forced into exile after a peaceful popular revolution in 1986.

Since returning to the country, the family has sought to re-establish its presence in public life, and Bongbong Marcos has since been elected Ilocos Norte governor, a congressman and a senator. In 2016, he ran for vice-president, but lost to Leni Robredo.

The Marcos family remains incredibly powerful, and he has formidable resources at his disposal. He has built a large social media presence that allows him to target younger voters who have no memory of his father’s rule.

Marcos is an ally of Duterte, who controversially allowed his father a hero’s burial. Marcos has said that, under his leadership, the country would act as a non-signatory of the ICC. Members of the court can visit as tourists, he has said.

Leni Robredo: the vice-president and former human rights lawyer

Philippines vice-president Leni Robredo. Photograph: Basilio Sepe/Zuma Press Wire/REX/Shutterstock

Vice-president Leni Robredo is a staunch critic of Duterte – including his brutal war on drugs, which she described as leading to “senseless killings”.

The daughter of a judge and an English professor, Robredo previously worked for non-government organisations providing legal assistance to marginalised groups.

It was the death of her husband, interior secretary Jesse Robredo, who was killed in a plane crash in 2012, that prompted a change in career. His death provoked an outpouring of grief and calls for her to enter politics, and she went on to win a seat in Congress in 2013.

Three years later, she beat Bongbong Marcos, son of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, to become vice-president. She was elected separately from Duterte and the two have had an icy relationship.

She has been an outspoken critic of Duterte’s policies – including the war on drugs, his pro-China stance and, mostly recently, his response to the pandemic. She has also warned of the risks of populist leaders and condemned the legal charges against Nobel prize-winning journalist Maria Ressa.

She has provoked the ire of Duterte and his supporters, and was removed from her position as head of an anti-drugs taskforce just weeks after her appointment.

Robredo has presented herself as the real opposition candidate, and is hoping to capitalise on what analysts have described as growing frustration with the pandemic and economy.

Isko Moreno: Manila mayor and former actor

Manila mayor Isko Moreno Photograph: Ezra Acayan/Getty Images

Isko Moreno too grew up in poverty. As a child living in Tondo, one of Manila’s poorest districts, he said he helped his mother by collecting old newspapers and bottles to sell on to a rubbish dealer, and would search for leftover food at restaurants. He was talent spotted aged 18, and went on to forge a career in TV and film, adopting the screen name Isko Moreno (his real name is Francisco Domagoso). Duterte has recently sought to mock him over his past career in showbiz, likening him to “a call boy” for having posed for racy photos.

Moreno began his political career as a councillor in Manila in his early 20s, rising to become vice-mayor, and, in 2019, mayor of the capital. He is known for launching a cleanup campaign in Manila – a policy that involved removing illegal street vendors. He has criticised Duterte’s response to Covid, including the country’s harsh and drawn-out lockdowns. He has also said he will not stop the ICC from investigating Duterte’s war on drugs.

Moreno has presented himself as a “healing” candidate in an attempt to draw support from all sides of the Philippines’ polarised politics. Critics, though, have accused him of fence sitting.

Sara Duterte: Duterte’s daughter
    Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte and his daughter Sara Duterte together in 2018. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images
    Sara Duterte has said she will not run for president, despite polling by Pulse Asia that suggests she is the frontrunner. Some have speculated that she may enter the race as a substitution and that Ronald dela Rosa, the main enforcer of Duterte’s bloody war on drugs, who has filed a candidacy, could be serving as a placeholder.

The younger Duterte’s supporters have claimed she is a better version of her father. She is more organised and less impulsive, they say. She shares the same pugnacious style; she once punched a sheriff four times in the head because he disobeyed her orders. However, her rhetoric is not quite as incendiary as that of her father, who has repeatedly endorsed extra judicial killings.

She has registered her candidacy to be re-elected as mayor of Davao city. The ICC investigation will investigate killings that occurred in Davao between November 2011 and 30 June 2016 – a time period that covers her previous stint as mayor.
    threads
    Pacquiao%92s-Style-Takes-Inspiration-From-Bruce-Lee - still need a general Pac thread...
    Martial-Arts-Politicians
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now I want to see Putin v Trump in a cage match...

Trump is awarded an honorary black belt by South Korean president of taekwondo - and pledges to wear the full martial arts suit in U.S. Congress if he makes it back to the White House
    Donald Trump has been awarded an honorary ninth Dan Black belt
    The president of World Taekwondo Headquarters, Lee Dong-seop, visited Trump at his Mar-a-lago mansion in South Florida
    Trump put on a taekwondo outfit known as a dobok and posed for photos
    Significant photographs from moments of his presidency could be seen on wall
    On Friday, Trump congratulated Kyle Rittenhouse on his acquittal
    A Wisconsin jury found the teenager not guilty on five counts
    'If that's not self defense, nothing is,' said the former president
    By JAMES GORDON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
    PUBLISHED: 21:07 EST, 21 November 2021 | UPDATED: 11:30 EST, 22 November 2021

Kukkiwon, also known as World Taekwondo Headquarters, and home of the World Taekwondo Academy, has awarded former U.S. President Donald Trump a 9th Dan Black belt - the highest level attainable by professional martial artists.

The president of Kukkiwon, Lee Dong-seop, went to visit Trump at his home in Mar-a-lago in Palm Beach, Florida this weekend to give him a taekwondo and the coveted black belt.

'I heard that the Donald Trump is highly interested in taekwondo,' Lee said.

Former President Donald Trump received an honorary black belt and certificate at Mar-A-Lago on Friday from Kukkiwon president Lee Dong-seop

Former President Donald Trump was pictured signing his autograph on a taekwondo outfit

Kukkiwon president Lee Dong-sup awarded the an Honorary 9th Dan Certificate to Trump

It's believed the visit was set up by a South Korean resident in the U.S.

Kyle Rittenhouse says he supports BLM movement and that his case had 'nothing to with race' as he slams 'prosecutorial misconduct' during his Kenosha trial: Pictured in suit and tie in Florida on eve of interview with Tucker Carlson , and other top stories from November 22, 2021.

'It is my pleasure and honor to receive this honorary certificate. Taekwondo is a great martial art for protecting oneself in these times,' Trump said.

The former president vowed that he would look to wear the taekwondo clothing in Congress should he make a return to the White House in the future.

Other members of the Kukkiwon organization that represents taekwondo were all present

'It is my honor to receive the Honorary Dan Certificate and I think taekwondo is magnificent martial art for self-defense,' Trump is said to have responded in a statement

Trump's awarding at a ninth Dan means he shares the same rank as Russian president Vladimir Putin who was presented with a black belt and made a grandmaster of taekwondo in 2013

Russia's President Vladimir Putin during a training session with the Russian national judo team at the Yug-Sport Training Center in 2019

Putin takes part in training session with Russian judo champions

Half a dozen photos could also be seen on the wall of Trump's Florida mansion including one of him shaking hands with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at Panmunjom as the pair met at the border in the Demilitarized Zone in June 2019.

Earlier that month, another picture showed him meeting the Queen in early June of the same year.

Also from that visit, a framed photo sees Trump and former First Lady Melania Trump pictured walking to greet the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall in London. The First Lady can be seen in a bright flowing orange dress.

President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un shake hands as they meet at the border in the Demilitarized Zone in Panmunjom, South Korea

Donald Trump and Kim Jong-Un shake hands in Hanoi

Another photo sees Trump, saluting a U.S. Coast Guard Change-of-Command Ceremony at the Coast Guard headquarters in Washington, D.C. in 2018.

In another serious photo, Trump and Melania can be seen at the front door to the White House as they prepared to welcome the Colombian President and his wife in February 2019.

Central to the selection of iconic pictures is one of Trump waving as he boarded the presidential aircraft Air Force One which happened countless times during the course of his presidency.

An imitation sculpture of the iconic Mount Rushmore was could be spotted with the addition of Trump's head blended into the topography.

Trump's awarding at a ninth Dan means he shares the same rank as Russian president Vladimir Putin who was presented with a black belt and made a grandmaster of taekwondo during an official visit to South Korea in 2013.

Despite not actually practicing taekwondo himself, Putin also managed to achieve the coveted rank.

On Friday night, Trump congratulated Kyle Rittenhouse after the teenager was found not guilty of murder in the fatal shooting of two men in racial justice protests.

The verdict divided America. As the left denounced the outcome as a miscarriage of justice, the right said Rittenhouse never should have been put on trial.

'Congratulations to Kyle Rittenhouse for being found INNOCENT of all charges,' said Trump in an emailed statement.

'It's called being found NOT GUILTY—And by the way, if that's not self defense, nothing is!'

A fundraising appeal followed.

'This trial was nothing more than a WITCH HUNT from the Radical Left,' said an email to supporters, directing them to donate to the online WinRed platform.

'They want to PUNISH law-abiding citizens, including a CHILD, like Kyle Rittenhouse, for doing nothing more than following the LAW.'

Jurors found Rittenhouse, 18, not guilty on all charges: two counts of homicide, one count of attempted homicide for wounding a third man, and two counts of recklessly endangering safety in protests marred by arson, rioting and looting on August 25, 2020 in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
    threads
    Tae Kwon Do
    Martial Arts Politicians
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is what this thread is all about...

...we need more of this.

2 Brazilian politicians settled a dispute over a waterpark-conservation project by fighting each other in a 3-round MMA fight
    Sophia Ankel Dec 15, 2021, 3:40 AM

A screenshot from a livestream shows Brazilian politicians Simão Peixoto and Erineu da Silva facing off in an MMA match on Sunday, December 12, 2021. Screenshot/Facebook; Prefeito Simão Peixoto

Two Brazilian politicians in the country's Amazon region settled a dispute the old fashioned way.

Erineu da Silva and Simão Peixoto decided to settle their differences with an MMA fight on Sunday.

The pair had been feuding about a local waterpark, with da Silva calling Peixoto a "crook."

Two Brazilian politicians settled a dispute over a local waterpark project with their fists over the weekend, taking part in a mixed martial arts (MMA) fight, according to multiple reports.

In September, former councillor Erineu da Silva, 45, publicly challenged Simão Peixoto, the 39-year-old conservative mayor of Amazonian town of Borba, to a fistfight, The Guardian reported.

The two men had been feuding ever since Silva had called Peixoto a "crook" over allegations that he had failed to conserve a waterpark near the Madeira River, which runs through Borba, according to The Guardian.

Peixoto eventually accepted the challenge, but said he would only fight in a proper match because he was "not a street fighter," VICE reported.

—Metrópoles (@Metropoles) December 13, 2021
    "I'm not a street fighter … I'm the mayor of the municipality of Borba," the politician said on his Facebook page last month, according to The Guardian.

"[But] if he really wants to fight … we're ready to fight … I've always been a winner."

The two men eventually settled on an MMA contest, with the fight taking place as part of a longer event in the gymnasium of a local school in Borba. The match took place at around 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning and was live-streamed on the mayor's Facebook account.

You can see the fight below, starting from around 40 minutes into the stream:
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1520699881638402

Hundreds of spectators paid to watch the event, The Guardian reported.

Video of the event shows the two politicians, in MMA shorts and gloves, aggressively kicking and punching each other, as well as clinching on the ground. The fight lasted a total of 13 minutes, according to VICE.

Peixoto was eventually declared the winner by a referee, although both men appeared in good spirits afterwards, hugging and shaking hands.

It is still unclear how, if at all, the fight will impact the waterpark dispute that instigated the brawl in the first place.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Checkley Sin Kwok Lam

We know this guy...
    January 18, 2022
    10:07 PM PST
    Last Updated 12 hours ago
    China
    Kung fu master Sin wants to run Hong Kong as leadership race looms

By Jessie Pang and Twinnie Siu

3 minute read
    A Chinese national flag (L) and a Hong Kong flag fly outside the Legislative Council, three days before the territory celebrates the 20th anniversary of its handover to Chinese rule, in Hong Kong, China June 28, 2017. REUTERS/Bobby Yip

HONG KONG, Jan 19 (Reuters) - Hong Kong kung fu master and film producer Checkley Sin Kwok Lam said on Wednesday he intended to run in the city's leadership race, a surprise move that comes as incumbent leader Carrie Lam has yet to confirm whether she will run for a second term.

The 65-year-old is the first person to announce their candidacy ahead of the election on March 27. Chief Executive Lam, who has presided over some of Hong Kong's most tumultuous periods in history, is due to end her term in June.

Willing candidates need the backing of a powerful "patriots-only" electoral body formed by 1,500 pro-Beijing people in Hong Kong. It was unclear whether Sin had such support.

In a YouTube video, Sin said his internet supporters convinced him to change his mind on not getting involved in politics.

"Under the new election system, I believe every capable and reliable patriot can join the new chief executive election," Sin said. "I believe that I have the ability to win."

With the election just weeks away, the silence from leader Lam and other heavyweights is unusual. Local media have speculated that potential candidates include Lam, Financial Secretary Paul Chan and former chief of the World Health Organisation, Margaret Chan. Lam has repeatedly declined to comment on whether she will run for a second term.

Sin, who produced the film Ip Man, has been an active promoter of martial arts in the city. He heads the World Wing Chun Union, which focuses on the traditional southern Chinese kung fu style which was popularised in Hong Kong by Ip Man and Bruce Lee.

Shares of National Arts Group , from which Sin resigned as chairman last July, soared more than 50% on Wednesday in their highest percentage gain since 2006. The company's market value is around HK$102 million ($13 million).

Hong Kong-born Sin has his own YouTube channel with 155,000 subscribers and posts online every few days on topics ranging from politics to the Beijing Olympics. In 2021, one of his shows focused on what he called 'Western hypocrisy' on Hong Kong.

He first started his online commentary in October 2019 at the height of Hong Kong's anti-government protests where he strongly sided with the government and the police force.

The nomination period runs from Feb 15- March 2 and candidates must get nominations from at least 188 of the 1,500 people in the election committee, according to a document from city's legislature.

($1 = 7.7917 Hong Kong dollars)

Reporting by Jessie Pang and Twinnie Siu; Writing by Farah Master; Editing by Marius Zaharia and Michael Perry
    threads
    Martial-Arts-Politicians
    Ip-Man-Final-Fight
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ukraine

Putin is no longer a Taekwondo 9th Dan, Nor a honorary president for the international Judo Federation
    11:06:00 AM Tkd kwan 0 Comments

Few months ago we have posted about personalities whom were awarded by Taekwondo black belts, and some of them even got very high ranks such the Russian president who was awarded the 9th Dan Taekwondo black belt by the World taekwondo president.

The Russian president was awarded the black belt by the head of the World Taekwondo Federation, Choue Chung-won, and made a grandmaster of Taekwondo during a visit to South Korea in November 2013.

After nine years, The act that Putin did caused a lot to his image, and he is no longer a 9th Dan belt.

In response to his invasion of Ukraine, Vladimir Putin has been stripped of his honorary black belt in Taekwondo.

This is not the only thing that happened to the Russian leader, Another martial art federation took an action.

'' Vladimir Putin has temporarily been suspended as the International Judo Federation’s honorary president on Sunday. The federation sited “the ongoing war conflict in Ukraine” as the reason for the suspension, per the Associated Press. ''

Sunday marks the fourth day since Russia has invaded Ukraine. Putin has a keen judoka and attended a competition at the 2012 London Olympics.

''World Taekwondo strongly condemns the brutal attacks on innocent lives in Ukraine, which go against the World Taekwondo vision of “Peace is More Precious than Triumph” and the World Taekwondo values of respect and tolerance.

In this regard, World Taekwondo has decided to withdraw the honorary 9th Dan black belt conferred to Mr. Vladimir Putin in November 2013.

In solidarity with the International Olympic Committee, no Russian or Belarusian national flags or anthems will be displayed or played at World Taekwondo events. World Taekwondo and the European Taekwondo Union will not organize or recognize Taekwondo events in Russia and Belarus.

World Taekwondo’s thoughts are with the people of Ukraine and we hope for a peaceful and immediate end to this war.''

threads
    Tae-Kwon-Do
    Martial-Arts-Politicians
    Ukraine
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Putin & Judo

February 27, 2022
    1:57 AM PST
    Last Updated 3 days ago
    Putin suspended as honorary president of International Judo Federation

Reuters

1 minute read

Russian President Vladimir Putin speaks about authorising a special military operation in Ukraine's Donbass region during a special televised address on Russian state TV, in Moscow, Russia, February 24, 2022, in this still image taken from video. Russian Pool/via REUTERS TV

Feb 27 (Reuters) - Russian president Vladimir Putin has been suspended as honorary president of the International Judo Federation (IJF), the sport's governing body announced on Sunday, because of his invasion of Ukraine.

Russia's invasion by land, air and sea on Thursday followed a declaration of war by Putin.

A judo blackbelt, the 69-year-old is a keen practitioner of the discipline and has co-authored a book titled "Judo: History, Theory, Practice".

"In light of the ongoing war conflict in Ukraine, the International Judo Federation announces the suspension of Mr Vladimir Putin's status as Honorary President and Ambassador of the International Judo Federation," the IJF said in a statement.

The IJF on Friday said it had cancelled a May 20-22 event in Russia.

"The International Judo Federation announces with regret the cancellation of the 2022 Grand Slam in Kazan, Russia," IJF President Marius Vizer said.

Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Reporting by Aadi Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Tom Hogue
    threads
    Judo
    Ukraine
    Martial-Arts-Politicians
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Antonio Inoki

Pro-wrestler, politician and hostage negotiator Antonio Inoki dies at 79
    October 1, 20224:01 PM ET
    JULIANA KIM
    Former professional wrestler Antonio Inoki shouts at a press conference in Tokyo on August 21, 2014.
    Yoshikazu Tsuno /AFP via Getty Images

Antonio Inoki was revered for never being afraid of a challenge — whether it was dueling heavyweight champion Muhammed Ali or negotiating the release of hostages with the Iraqi government. That's why he was often called "the fighting spirit that burns."

Inoki died at age 79 after battling a rare disease called amyloidosis, his company, New Japan Pro-Wrestling, announced on Saturday.

"His achievements, both in professional wrestling and the global community are without parallel and will never be forgotten," the professional wrestling group wrote in a statement.

Kanji "Antonio" Inoki was born in Yokohama, Japan in 1943 but spent most of his childhood in Brazil where his family relocated. There, Inoki found a passion for professional wrestling and took on the name "Antonio."

He was soon recruited by Rikidozan, one of the the most famous Japanese wrestlers of all time, and returned to Tokyo to join the Japanese Wrestling Association.

Inoki quickly became widely popular for his versatility and charisma in the ring. Years later, he went on to start his own wrestling company in 1972 called New Japan Pro-Wrestling.

Inoki's reached global fame in 1976 when he faced Muhammad Ali in a rare wrestler vs. boxer match in Tokyo. The match became credited for pioneering what is known today as mixed martial arts, where a fighter is allowed to use any style of combat.

Heavyweight boxer Muhammad Ali fighting the champion Japanese wrestler Antonio Inoki at Budokan Hall in Tokyo in 1976.
    Keystone/Getty Images

Off the ring, Inoki was known for his attempts to forge peace and diplomacy through sports.

In 1990, Inoki was instrumental in freeing 36 Japanese hostages held in Iraq.

During his lifetime, the late wrestler also made more than 30 trips to North Korea, serving as one of Japan's few links to the authoritarian regime. Most notably, Inoki organized two large sporting extravaganza — one in 1995 and another in 2014 — held in Pyongyang to garner international attention.

The first event, known as "Collision in Korea" drew nearly 380,000 spectators and was considered the biggest-pay-per-view in pro-wrestling history.

In 1998, Inoki retired as a wrestler and in 2010, he was inducted to the WWE Hall of Fame. He is technically considered WWE's first-ever Japanese world champion but that title is not yet recognized by the organization.

"Antonio Inoki was among the most respected men in sports-entertainment and a bona fide legend in his homeland," WWE wrote in a statement. "This passion for competition earned him the nickname "Moeru Toukon" amongst his peers, which translates to 'The fighting spirit that burns.'"

Muhammed-Ali-vs-Martial-Artist
    Martial-Arts-Politicians
    Professional-Wrestling
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips