Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geometric Mandalas; Bloody WSL Again!

With all due respects if you two want to debate another topic please do so via PMs or in another thread. I do not wish to be rude but having your debates spill from other threads into this one, is not something that I would like to see.

I understand why, anerlich, you have picked guy_b up on this point but I would prefer it if you would do me the courtesy, of not taking his bait in this thread. I am sure there are others that may want to discuss the themes I put forwards but I fear they will be put off from discussing due to these debates with guy_b.

No worries, I won't post on your thread again

Fair enough. I apologise to you, Paddington. I've deleted my earlier post, others may wish to do the same.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

The functional geometry and structural integrity within wing chun is a very cool aspect of the art. I think its great to play around with the geometrical patterns and mathematics behind it and think its a useful project to interpolate these data points. It can help in overall understanding to analyze in different ways. Good teachers can teach to multiple intelligences and various learning styles. Some people are more hands on, while others visual or conceptual learners... Analyzing things in various ways may spark someone to have a 'light-bulb moment' by making new connections of understanding, so definitely worth while.

The posted mandala is interesting. FWIW-points, lines, triangles and circles
    help illustrate many things about wing chun.

Years ago ina n article for the JAMA entitled "Defending the Motherline", I did some illustrations... but could do much more since then
    with greater understanding of the art.

If it helps your training then great, if academic research is what floats your boat again great to each their own. Personally i'm not sure I see much benefit in trying to work out how the forms etc fit into a diagram, whoever produced it. Spending that time practising the forms or even analysing your own performance using video etc would IMO be more productive.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Blog Entries
    I don't see much value about those diagram either. It's not what you know in your head, it's what you can do with your body that's important.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    If it helps your training then great, if academic research is what floats your boat again great to each their own. Personally i'm not sure I see much benefit in trying to work out how the forms etc fit into a diagram, whoever produced it. Spending that time practising the forms or even analysing your own performance using video etc would IMO be more productive.
    On the origin of that mandala; I think the basis of it are very old. Having a large copy on the wall in front of me as I do SLT is very stimulating! As I show, WSL was most probably exposed to it in his training. As I also show, it is a great teaching aid IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I don't see much value about those diagram either. It's not what you know in your head, it's what you can do with your body that's important.
    That good old Cartesian mind/body dualism eh? IMO it is a bit iffy to split the mind away from the body particularly given that we are dealing with a Chinese martial art and wing chun at that!

Having been exposed to many different flavours of wing chun I find the theory of it fascinating and I find such diagrams a good reference point to understand what is 'correct' and 'incorrect'. I say that because if one excepts the geometric principles and 'directness' of wing chun, well, when you start graphing stuff out it becomes apparent what is 'correct' and what is not.

[QUOTE=Paddington;1230047

That good old Cartesian mind/body dualism eh? IMO it is a bit iffy to split the mind away from the body particularly given that we are dealing with a Chinese martial art and wing chun at that!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mind and body are one! Even the slt is called a little idea !
    Even with years of practice one can practice the wrong idea
    and miss the boat. Understanding connecting triangles in joint coordination strengthens
    the structure.
    In a recent NYT article in an interview- the great ex coach of the Chicago Bulls and the Lakers drew pictures of dynamic triangles linking the connected positions of 5 players on the floor.

Concepts and practice both are needed for development. Louisson's is one formulation-it's not the only possible one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Concepts and practice both are needed for development. Louisson's is one formulation-it's not the only possible one.
    When you say one formulation are you referring to the the geometric mandala specifically or sifu Louison's understanding and use of it?

Personally I love diversity and difference though that said investigating such a theme, even in the most rudimentry way, indicates a certain continuity to me. For example, I am not convinced sifu Louison constructed that mandala. Indeed, my initial thoughts are that he was shown it by sifu Ng Chun-hong?

Have you come across different formulations Joy and if so could you share them in this thread? I certainly would enjoy seeing them!

Don't forget the basic 5 lines.

Great stuff Kev, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    May the " line of force" be with you.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Luke- I am also your sifu.

May the " line of force" be with you.
    n.b.( YM needs 2 light sabers )

n.b.( YM needs 2 light sabers )
    ---------------------------------------

For practice two-in usage he knows what to do with one.