Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Geometric Mandalas; Bloody WSL Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Having a large copy on the wall in front of me as I do SLT is very stimulating!
    Interesting POV, I focus inwards when doing SNT as to me it is a form of meditation focusing the mind on nothing but relaxing and the position / movement of the elbow. Something requiring analysis in my eye line would be a distraction rather than a help.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

I think the basis of it are very old. Having a large copy on the wall in front of me as I do SLT is very stimulating!

My two cents for you is:

Gettint creative Using the mandala as a symbolic explanation is ok.

But,
    You are violating the practice of slt by doing the above as you describe. The slt practice has to follow "hand issue from heart / mind" instruction strictly. Not the mind is out there in some mandala.

This will get you into trouble in the mind layer. Do not play in this layer or realm with mandala visualization. You can get trap in different states and cause yourself unnecessary trouble.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-20-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Two in usage and practice means you don't cut your own hand off.
    ---------------------
    Ip man would know what to do with the other hand.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    "You do not have to know where you are going to be headed in the right direction." (latest fortune cookie message).
    -----------------------------------------------
    Discuss rather than clogging up the thread-would nit that be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------
    Discuss rather than clogging up the thread-would nit that be better?

On a more serious note, as an engineer (I seem to remember you telling me you were) how would you model wing chun geometrically?

For Paddington-ypu asked

On a more serious note, as an engineer (I seem to remember you telling me you were) how would you model wing chun geometrically?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a 1995 article-old-<http://www.tempewingchun.com/docs/defending_the_motherline.pdf>and I have done much more analysis than this.

I am not an engineer-was turned off by the first two compulsory classes that were required many moons ago-engineering drawing where I had to draw a screw from different angles and in surveying hold survey stick in the Oklahoma sun.

Also- static plane geometry is not enough. "Crazy logic" experimentally used for
    redirecting cars/lights based on stimuli can help. Buckminster Fuller's concept of tensigrity(sp?) and the interlocking triangles of the geodesic dome, triangular wedge of the bow of an ice breaking ship is also suggestive(bai jong), the balance of a twirling gyroscope can help, Egyptian pyramids , old time igloos,Buddhist stupas and Mexico's pyramid del sol can be suggestive when working on stability, cross country skiing can point towards the directional coordination of the knees, for elbow motions, harpooning, an American football quarterback's control of the trajectory of a spinning football can give ideas, arches and domes can illustrate synthesis of triangles and circles, plum blossom designs for footwork, the eight sided baqua , the infinity sign- can all give insights for motions and drills and structures.Not arm chair academics-- I do some of these things and try to teach accordingly.
    Have had the good fortune of having a sifu who is very analytical as well as practical.
    No mind body dualism
    Expression of part pf a POV- sharing- not debating. Progressing development via slt, chum kiu, biu gee, mook jong, kwan and bot jam do, varieties of chi sao, lop sao, gor sao, controlled sparring and real experience and much time on the wing chun path open mindedly And no red bull.