Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Makes it Kung Fu?

forms make it kung fu. Lots and lots of forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Perhaps that is why pro wrestling is so much more popular than real wrestling. It plays to white trash fantasies.
    Hey now - don't tell that to us Judo guys who favor the Hayastan flavour.

It's a little known fact that Lebell and Gokor require all their black belts to sport either a mullet or skullet depending on their follicle aptitude (woman can wear the ever popular reverse mullet).

Strictly speaking, what makes it "kung fu" is the level of skill that rises to intrinsic perfection after long time of training. That is the real actual meaning of the words "kung fu". "Kung fu" is not a martial art, is not even strictly Chinese, per se, except for being Chinese language. It's a concept describing uncanny skill obtained thru much repeated hard work. Not even exclusive to martial arts. So if you want to be absolutely correct about the term you are using, that is the only thing that makes something "kung fu". See what I'm sayin?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Rasta View Post
    Strictly speaking, what makes it "kung fu" is the level of skill that rises to intrinsic perfection after long time of training. That is the real actual meaning of the words "kung fu". "Kung fu" is not a martial art, is not even strictly Chinese, per se, except for being Chinese language. It's a concept describing uncanny skill obtained thru much repeated hard work. Not even exclusive to martial arts. So if you want to be absolutely correct about the term you are using, that is the only thing that makes something "kung fu". See what I'm sayin?
    Makes sense. I remember looking at some wood carvings and the lady selling them praised them by saying "hao gongfu!"

There was also a Steven Chow movie where he does a bunch of trick shots in billiards and the onlookers say "hao gongfu"

Right! See, that is the actual definition of "gung fu". But, to be fair, I know Kellen is using the term to mean "Chinese martial arts", probably. That is common usage of the term here in the west. Hell, this very forum & magazine uses the term because more people relate to the term here.
    To get to Kellen's original question though, I think it is, obviously, meaning "of Chinese origin or development", in the same way that "tae kwon do" implies automatically Korean origin and so forth. The fluidity of it was mentioned. Circular movements more so than hard, linear movement. The in depth systems that mimic animal movements is a uniquely "kung fu" thing as opposed to having, say, a tiger claw hand position or technique or two. I think at its core, "kung fu" in the common western sense implies automatically a Chinese art.
    My late shizu used to tell us young bucks that the distinguishing thing about Chinese martial arts is specialization. Whole systems based on specialization, especially in animal form boxings.

What makes it Kung Fu?

It's got qi.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Kung fu, to have Kung Fu is to have skill and ability in a given discipline.

To have Kung Fu in martial arts cn be interpreted in a couple of ways, but in my perspective:

You are versed in striking, evading, throwing and kicking. As well as these, you are taught classical weapons in their various forms. Bladed, blunt, flexible an doubled. Further to this, inward work is part and parcel as well, zen or Chan meditation is part to shaolin kung fu in most instances.

Finally, medical knowledge on some level. I myself am a trained first responder and understand massage and am versed in Tui Nah.

To have Kung Fu in Chinese martial arts therefore means:

1. You have the will to fight if circumstance necessitates that.
    2. You have an ability to aid others through your efforts in practice.
    3. You have an ability to forge a better person from yourself through continued practice upon your body and mind.
    4. You can physically and martially handle the better part of the hoi polloi.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It's got qi.

Ahh, shaolin bredren, you have summed it up nicely! (and plugged a t-shirt!) You da man!

Seen!

Looking forward to seeing ya, Shaolin Rasta. Less than two weeks out...

Woah, was that another plug? Ima on FIYAH!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    What Makes it Kung Fu?

Kung Fu to me is like you have trained "certain skill" long enough that you can use it to beat up everybody who want to give you trouble. Whether that "certain skill' is from TCMA or from other MA systems, it won't change the definition of "Kung Fu". "Kung Fu" is not how much you know but how well you can do. The word "style" has no meaning to me.
    Agreed mostly.

Style is a preferred core set of skills to solve common fighting problems or senario.

"Kung Fu" is the perfect name for the traditional art.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    America already has its traditional martial culture. Guns.

By the time a lot of people started coming to America guns were already the primary weapon. At this point in Europe though we had guns too there were still a lot of different styles of fencing and fencing cultures that were kept up. I am sure in early America they kept up the fencing too, but guns had already become a personal weapon.

America has managed to maintain this culture of guns in a way like no other place in the world.
    i feel a lot of people treat guns like toys. i dont think its a martial culture.

when u kiss the gun, and kneel before your rifle praying, then its a martial culture.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

ever been to texas?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Head north and crash a family reunion now that you're in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    ever been to texas?
    noe. i hear they cook and eat the flesh of black peoples like in that apocalypse movie. so im scares
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Head north and crash a family reunion now that you're in Michigan.
    wat do u mean man i dont understans im scare

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC