Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What Makes it Kung Fu?

I think one of the major things that does separate one martial art from the next are the nuances with how each style trains their bodies to do the same techniques. It's in these ingrained responses and actions that are imbued to the fighter through long years of continual practice, combined with the particular type of conditioning that you do, that will determine how fast, how hard, how soon, and how long a person will be able to do anything.

for instance look at this video at 4:00 and again at 6:00 and you'll see what I mean when you analyze the results. There's more than just these two guys, but these guys are doing the same technique, with roughly the same body types, but with glaringly different results. Basically the same kick, delivered almost the same way, but not exactly. Relatively the same speed, but the amount of force difference is staggering. Could it be argued that he's just a better kicker? Sure, but that's the whole point right? His technique is slightly different in posture and his posting foot during the kick. His style gave him more power in that particular instance between those two men. However the mt fighter had more control and was back in guard faster and steadier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnu94B6Edrs

I know I didn't use any gongfu in my example, but this video was convenient and the second roundhouse video I found and I'm lazy. In my opinion however, it's also part of the reason why gongfu is gongfu, karate is karate, muay thai is muay thai, etc. aside from the more spiritual and cultural trappings.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    America already has its traditional martial culture. Guns.

By the time a lot of people started coming to America guns were already the primary weapon. At this point in Europe though we had guns too there were still a lot of different styles of fencing and fencing cultures that were kept up. I am sure in early America they kept up the fencing too, but guns had already become a personal weapon.

America has managed to maintain this culture of guns in a way like no other place in the world.
    The early invaders arriving on ships to the land of The People found tomahawks to be a big problem. https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1440&bih=807
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-21-2013 at 09:17 PM.

don't forget organized forest warfare! but in the end the black powder and the coal won. the great beast of industrialization came to ruin us all
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

TCMA has the coolest names for forms. My modified hunting crane set is based on: Dragon rests on Mountain, Dragon returns to Earth, and Dragon crosses Lake. https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...2F%3B426%3B640
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-21-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    If you bow down to inanimate objects, you have issues.

A gun is a machine, a sword is an implement, there is nothing worth applying religiously or culturally to them as anything more than tools for doing killing with. That is all they are. Devices, invented to inflict pain and cause death.

Culture? That's...just weird and only a little misguided. If someone considers inanimate objects divine in any way, they are better off getting some counseling or therapy.
    The crusaders and knights who prayed before their weapons were brainwashed murderous fanatics. Like the Japanese in World War Two. Cruel sadistic indoctrinated soldiers who gave their lives to the emperor, tormented prisoners, and bayonetted pregnant women.

Whether that's "traditional and authentic" or not, I oppose it. Sure, it made them great warriors ready to throw away their lives. I still don't respect it.

To me praying to a weapon reeks of that kind of fanaticism. On the other hand if someone respects their weapon because of its power, and reflects on the ethical responsibility that comes from handling it, that would be a good thing. Even if it's just a baton or can of peppar spray.
    Last edited by rett; 05-22-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    TCMA has the coolest names for forms.
    This fact is indisputable.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    The crusaders and knights who prayed before their weapons were brainwashed murderous fanatics. Like the Japanese in World War Two. Cruel sadistic indoctrinated soldiers who gave their lives to the emperor, tormented prisoners, and bayonetted pregnant women.
    thats why u will never find the real kung fu.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    America already has its traditional martial culture. Guns.

By the time a lot of people started coming to America guns were already the primary weapon. At this point in Europe though we had guns too there were still a lot of different styles of fencing and fencing cultures that were kept up. I am sure in early America they kept up the fencing too, but guns had already become a personal weapon.

America has managed to maintain this culture of guns in a way like no other place in the world.
    YUP, and a gun in the right hand trumps any martial arts...lol
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    YUP, and a gun in the right hand trumps any martial arts...lol
    gun is martial art.

swinging a deformed retarded looking cartoon tinfoil sword is not martial art. its gaytial art. you train to be gay.

When the Portuguese originally introduced firearms into Japan in the 1530s, it was incorporated by the samurai as one of their martial arts, which they called Hojutsu, or "fire art" (I'm sure this name will bring out the inevitable 'ho' jokes). And although it eventually became obsolete as a result of Japan's later isolation, Hojutsu became one of the 'ancient' martial arts of the samurai. Those who incorporated it at the time were quick to gain the advantage over those clans who didn't.

So it's not only an American phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I don't know who started it and I don't give a ****. The one thing I do know is that we did it harder, we did it faster, and we definitely did it with more love, baby. You can't take that away from us. ~ Stevo
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    When the Portuguese originally introduced firearms into Japan in the 1530s, it was incorporated by the samurai as one of their martial arts, which they called Hojutsu, or "fire art" (I'm sure this name will bring out the inevitable 'ho' jokes). And although it eventually became obsolete as a result of Japan's later isolation, Hojutsu became one of the 'ancient' martial arts of the samurai. Those who incorporated it at the time were quick to gain the advantage over those clans who didn't.

triple barrel pole cannon is still practiced by martial artists in fujian. its also part of village festivals.

i think the americans have taken it to the point that the american civilian population would defeat any other civilian population in a 10k on 10k death match of randomly selected individuals across the country that are allowed to bring any weapon that they own at the time of random selection. strictly based off of the ammount of fire arms we would bring to the table in that fight.

here is our mascott

when i watch iraq war footage, i shoot milk from penus.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Taking away forms and stuff what makes Kung-Fu Kung-Fu might be the development of secondary and other back-up muscles, through varied movements other than those used in actual fighting.

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 05-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com