Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know the backstory to this clip?

Anyone know the backstory to this clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU8B6eNm2zs

Looks like pretty poor wing chun but got the job done.

Whats poor about it?

Pretty poor MT more like it. 7 years bad luck for him as well.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Pretty poor MT more like it. 7 years bad luck for him as well.
    Yep, the MT wasnt real flash

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Whats poor about it?
    Lacks forward pressure from stance

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Lacks forward pressure from stance
    He made the other guy go backwards.......... what more do you want/

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    He made the other guy go backwards.......... what more do you want/
    Probably the WC guy had to push the MT guy not just through the mirror but the wall behind it as well.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

difficult to judge the quality of the Wing Chun without knowing the premise of the exchange. The alledged MT guy had gloves on so if this was supposed to be full contact I'd say that the Wing Chun guy needs to work on his distancing and punching power. He also provided a fairly static target that might have lead to a different outcome against a better opponent. That said, you can only beat who is in front of you and although the alledged MT fighter was very poor that never seems to enter into the equation when clips of Wing Chun practitioners getting beaten are posted on youtube.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    He also provided a fairly static target that might have lead to a different outcome against a better opponent.
    I've seen people make critiques like this all the time and it has become sort of a pet peeve. Who's to say they would do the same thing against a different fighter? People say; "If he did that to me, I would...", but he's not doing that to you, and who's to say he would? If what he did on this particular opponent worked, then the job was done. Another situation is another situation, especially a hypothetical one. You can't take something that was already done and fight that.

And what's this about lacking forward pressure? He forced the guy backward into the mirror without forward pressure? The MT guy just felt like running through glass that day?

Don't know background.

Poor MT - the initial clinch shows an absolute lack of familiarity with MT clinching. MT guy gets tied up and taken down by a WCK guy with what looks to be no training in that either.

The WCK guy basically applies one concept - forward pressure on the centerline, and runs over the guy with little technique involved. Interesting to see the clueless highlight the one thing he's doing right as what is poor in his WCK.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    I've seen people make critiques like this all the time and it has become sort of a pet peeve. Who's to say they would do the same thing against a different fighter? People say; "If he did that to me, I would...", but he's not doing that to you, and who's to say he would? If what he did on this particular opponent worked, then the job was done. Another situation is another situation, especially a hypothetical one. You can't take something that was already done and fight that.
    hmmmm, you're entitled to your opinion but first lets be clear I didn't at all say "if he did that to me" or any such thing. I commented on a clip in the same way that proffessional sports commentators comment on events the world over, they highlight percieved weaknesses and strengths. If the protaganist knows the issue I highlighted and doesn't display the same weakness against a better opponent then fair play to him but I comment on what I see not what i imagine.

And what's this about lacking forward pressure? He forced the guy backward into the mirror without forward pressure? The MT guy just felt like running through glass that day?
    For the record I never mentioned any lack of forward pressure.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    difficult to judge the quality of the Wing Chun without knowing the premise of the exchange. The alledged MT guy had gloves on so if this was supposed to be full contact I'd say that the Wing Chun guy needs to work on his distancing and punching power. He also provided a fairly static target that might have lead to a different outcome against a better opponent. That said, you can only beat who is in front of you and although the alledged MT fighter was very poor that never seems to enter into the equation when clips of Wing Chun practitioners getting beaten are posted on youtube.
    problem is for every bad thai fighter posted, you can find 20 good clips to ompare them to, with wing chun the so called good clips are hard to find

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Don't know background.

Poor MT - the initial clinch shows an absolute lack of familiarity with MT clinching. MT guy gets tied up and taken down by a WCK guy with what looks to be no training in that either.

The WCK guy basically applies one concept - forward pressure on the centerline, and runs over the guy with little technique involved. Interesting to see the clueless highlight the one thing he's doing right as what is poor in his WCK.
    yep thought the same thing, the wing chun guy kept the pressure on and striahgt down the centre....and wone the exchange doing just that cant fault him on that point

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    yep thought the same thing, the wing chun guy kept the pressure on and striahgt down the centre....and wone the exchange doing just that cant fault him on that point
    Agree completely, ultimately as I said above you can only ever beat what is in front of you

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    problem is for every bad thai fighter posted, you can find 20 good clips to ompare them to, with wing chun the so called good clips are hard to find
    Unfortunately very true.