Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What style is this?

What style is this?

What style is this ? I think it looks great.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRAsptkRfc

The white guy does Tae Kwon Do and the Asian guy does Wushu
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    The white guy does Tae Kwon Do and the Asian guy does Wushu
    so that long staff form is TKD?

Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    What style is this ? I think it looks great.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRAsptkRfc
    Sure does if you want to minimize the effective use of the range of the weapon (wide grip in the middle, hit with the ends of the weapon - you'd be better off using escrima sticks and would have the same effective range). It's all flash with a toothpick. I like the wushu one a lot better. Traditional Shaolin / TCMA staff is the way to go if you're interested in the staff / guan.

Honestly, if you really like Karate's version, you might as well learn this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swSiKd6mmf0

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Honestly, if you really like Karate's version, you might as well learn this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swSiKd6mmf0

MightyB, is right (again).

From what I've seen of staff techniques, Kung Fu has it. A friend of a friend was training for his black belt test in Tang Soo Do and came to me for help with his staff work.

I sparred with the guy and his staff work was bad not sloppy, just bad. He had no concept of attack and defend; the only thing he could do was a short twirling movement which was ok for basic defense, but otherwise it was terrible. He never learned how to use a staff as a long weapon.

Like MightyB said, if you're going to use the ends of it like that and fight in medium/close range, you are far better off using escrima sticks.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

so that long staff form is TKD?
    If you're talking about the white guy with his shirt off, yeah, that's typical TKD/Karate staff work that is 90% flash and 10% technique.

It's no different than the Karate demos with flip kicks and split kicks and all that other flashy stuff. It's BS, IMO.

If you're talking about the white guy with his shirt off, yeah, that's typical TKD/Karate staff work that is 90% flash and 10% technique.

It's no different than the Karate demos with flip kicks and split kicks and all that other flashy stuff. It's BS, IMO.
    Would you think the same thing if a police man took out his baton and started 'twirling' it? I wouldnt. hehe

I think most people would run away from a guy that picked up a broom handle and started doing what that TKD guy was doing and yelling. Fight ends without violence. lol

Is there a single short staff in some KF style? so if someone pulls a knife you can use a short stick or handle laying around better than bare handed against a knife no?

Real "karate" bo work has minimal twirling, almost none really.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Would you think the same thing if a police man took out his baton and started 'twirling' it? I wouldnt. hehe
    Yes. Most of my weapons training is in Escrima. We primarily fight with sticks. Trust me; I understand weapons.

I think most people would run away from a guy that picked up a broom handle and started doing what that TKD guy was doing and yelling. Fight ends without violence. lol
    It's a bluff; what hapens when the bluff is called? When someone else isn't scared?

Is there a single short staff in some KF style? so if someone pulls a knife you can use a short stick or handle laying around better than bare handed against a knife no?
    Some Chinese arts teach the short stick (not sure what the term is) but I think it's rare and I know nothing about it as far as Kung Fu goes (my experience with that is totally Escrima). You will find the short staff taught in most arts, I believe. It's called the eyebrow height staff.

If you're looking for defense against a knife, I'd personally suggest Escrima. I'm not without my own bias, but I think they have the most realistic approach to weapon defense.
    Last edited by Kymus; 06-06-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Real "karate" bo work has minimal twirling, almost none really.
    I kinda figured that it was a b@stardization of the art.

Is it typical - in the arts that haven't been watered down in America - for them to fight solely using the center? Are there applications that use long range attacks?

Yes. Most of my weapons training is in Escrima. We primarily fight with sticks. Trust me; I understand weapons.

It's a bluff; what hapens when the bluffe is called? When someone else isn't scared?

Some Chinese arts teach the short stick (not sure what the term is) but I think it's rare and I know nothing about it as far as Kung Fu goes (my experience with that is totally Escrima). You will find the short staff taught in most arts, I belief. It's called the eyebrow height staff.

If you're looking for defense against a knife, I'd personally suggest Escrima. I'm not without my own bias, but I think they have the most realistic approach to weapon defense.
    Is there a single stick version of escrima or is there always two sticks?

Is there a single stick version of escrima or is there always two sticks?
    We do
    • single stick
    • double stick
    • stick and dagger
    • single dagger

You could do double dagger, but I have never seen it, personally.

We do
    • single stick
    • double stick
    • stick and dagger
    • single dagger

You could do double dagger, but I have never seen it, personally.
    single stick sounds good and practical

single stick sounds good and practical
    It is, but your enemy may know lawyer-fu.

That's - largely - why I don't do challenge matches with whiney trolls on the internet. I humiliate them, they sue me. I'm not dumb.

Carry around a stick, and unless you're attacked with a weapon, you could face legal charges (more absurd things have happened).

You also need to ask yourself what you'll do when you don't have a stick with you.

There are so many variables.