Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't argue

Well that guy is wrong anyway.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I came here for a good argument.

Man I came here for a good argument.
    Mr Vibrating No you didn't, you came here for an argument.
    Man Well, an argument's not the same as contradiction.
    Mr Vibrating It can be.
    Man No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements to establish a definite proposition.
    Mr Vibrating No it isn't.
    Man Yes it is. It isn't just contradiction.
    Mr Vibrating Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    Man But it isn't just saying 'No it isn't'.
    Mr Vibrating Yes it is.
    Man No it isn't, Argument is an intellectual process ... contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.
    Mr Vibrating No it isn't.
    Man Yes it is.
    Mr Vibrating Not at all.
    Actually, I'm just trying to keep KungFuMagazine.com vital. Part of that is this forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In another forum, I started a thread, "combat speed training". One guy expressed his opinion that he likes "slow speed training". I knew that no matter what I might say, he won't agree with me any way. I didn't bother to respond to his posts. At the end of many pages of discussion, that person suddenly put up a post, "I have tried to tell you that speed training is wrong. Why did you ignore my posts?" When I tried to avoid trouble but trouble still knock on my door, I truly don't know what to do after that.

The funny thing is after I left that forum, that person left that forum soon after me. As if the main purpose of his existence was to prove me to be wrong.
    you need to say, "i am john wang, famous shuai jiao master. come visit my school. if u DARE, poosy. if u DARE."

if someone disagree with me in wombat combat, i say, "god is the teacher, you are the student. and i am the lesson. gods lessons are so beautiful, so beautiful." then they scare and say sorrys.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-22-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

A little bit contest or argument is only healthy.

However, after pages of argument for argument sake.

Everyone bummed out.

The thread then derailed and was pushed into oblivion or died.

--

How to be on topic

and keep the conversation alive or going;

that is the question.

staying alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=720mM...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if someone disagree with me in wombat combat, i say, "god is the teacher, you are the student. and i am the lesson. gods lessons are so beautiful, so beautiful." then they scare and say sorrys.
    If you say this with a Chow Yun Fat accent, it will be very good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    keep the conversation alive or going;
    To keep the conversation alive is different from argue for the sake of argument. If we just look at the WC forum, it's easy to see that endless argument going over there. Of course when you agree with someone, there isn't much to add. Sometime even if you may agree with that person 90%, just because the 10% that you don't agree with. To argue on that may be quite silly.

IMO, the following discussion should be avoided.

A: My opinion is ...
    B: I agree with most of what you have said, but one part that I don't quite agree with is ...
    A: That may be because you are lacking some basic training.
    B:

B tries to keep the conversation going. A just ignores what B's agree part and starts personal attack. That's pretty sad.

Even worse, some personal attack just start in the early stage of the discussion.

A: I think sparring with gloves and sparring without gloves are ...
    B: Are you stupid or something? ...
    A:

How can we avoid all those? Any suggestion?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-25-2013 at 01:27 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

YouKnowWho:

B: I agree with most of what you have said, but one part that I don't quite agree with is ...
    B:

B tries to keep the conversation going. A just ignores what B's agree part and starts personal attack. That's pretty sad.

Even worse, some personal attack just start in the early stage of the discussion.

A:

May I suggest effective and reasonably quick Moderation. The process doesn't have to be long-winded nor all that hard. Simply apply the moderation to these types of comments as if you were in a Kungfu School in front of that person and or their teachers.

Most people "say" what they want here because they are not in in front of that person in person! Treat the discussion as you would a Wushu Guan and in remembering the basic tenets of not only Wude but just plain simply common courtesy and mutual respect. Those that want to make such negative comments should put their names to same. that would stop a heap just there!

Agree to disagre sure but moderate the personalised or even style based attacks or comments made and everyone gets along just fine.

Try this ... it's pretty simple but highly workable:

While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Treat your fellow members with respect you would in the Training Hall & in front of a Teacher. Do not attack or insult a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner
    Those that don't like this .... well the door is always open for them to leave and or return once they comply with thois very simple rule!

But for the sake of this forum, for the sake of the arts ... please, let's do this!!!

For my vote, YouKnowWho sounds like he has the right attitude to be one such Moderator!

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    To keep the conversation alive is different from argue for the sake of argument. If we just look at the WC forum, it's easy to see that endless argument going over there. Of course when you agree with someone, there isn't much to add. Sometime even if you may agree with that person 90%, just because the 10% that you don't agree with. To argue on that may be quite silly.

B:

A:

pick something that both agree

and build the conversation on that

such as boots for made for walking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl5yH4SwInk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVmcHzeZGv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpwLIdScdrc

Last edited by SPJ; 05-25-2013 at 07:27 AM.

like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You're the One, dude!

yin and yang

make a point in each post.

readers or lurkers decide for themself.

like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAA

Bawang, I think that comment is sig-worthy!!

note to self: change signature
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Blog Entries
    In another discussion, someone wrote the following and I like it very much. When people ignore your post, don't be depressed. That seed will grow somewhere, sometime.

但哪怕多一个人看到我写的东西,也不管他是赞同或者反对,但只要能引起他的思考,我写的,也就 是有价值的。
    Even if just one person saw what I wrote, it doesn't matter whether he may agree or disagree, as long as it can cause him to think, my writing will still have it's value.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-27-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    When you start a thread, you will get different opinions. Some people will agree with you and some people will not. If you respond to those posts that

- disagree with you, people will say that you start a thread so you can argue with other people.
    - agree with you, people will say that you just want to hear what you want to hear.

If you don't respond to those threads that disagree with you, people will think that you just "ignore" them or "dis-respect" them. Their feeling will get hurt.

Sometime to ignore is to avoid argument. But to say that you don't allow other's opinions if they don't agree with your is not proper. IMO, if you start a thread, you have no right to prevent others from expressing their opinions.

Blog Entries
    Among this forum and 2 others forms, I have detected a general pattern that bother me quite a bit. I would like to discuss this with you guys.

You put up a clip. Someone said,

- Your structure is weak,
    - You have exposed your center.
    - Your body is not coordinated.
    - Your opponent just extends his arm out for you.
    - Your opponent didnot give you enough pressure.
    - If you think this video is good, you muct be stupid.

It doesn't take long for this discussion to get into "personal attack". To be honest, we can always find some weakness in any clip. Sometime we cristicize a clip (myself included) for the sake of disussion. We may not realize that we not only insult the person in that clip. We may attack his whole style without knowing.

How can we avoid this problem? Your thought?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-04-2013 at 10:31 PM.