Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't argue

I guess it depends on the video. If it's someone that's looking for constructive criticism, that's one thing. If it's not of someone involved in the discussion, then that's another thing.

If someone is asking for advice so they can improve, then I think people should give constructive criticism to help that person improve.

If someone puts up a video of them performing that they think is good but is really bad.. It's hard for people to resist negativity. It can also depend on the individual. Some people are not honest about what they do and so then they become a lightening rod and wonder why people don't respect them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    I guess it depends on the video. If it's someone that's looking for constructive criticism, that's one thing. If it's not of someone involved in the discussion, then that's another thing.

If someone is asking for advice so they can improve, then I think people should give constructive criticism to help that person improve.

If someone puts up a video of them performing that they think is good but is really bad.. It's hard for people to resist negativity. It can also depend on the individual. Some people are not honest about what they do and so then they become a lightening rod and wonder why people don't respect them.
    Hey now, my videos only mostly suck, and like I tell my wife - I may be sloppy, but I get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If we just look at the WC forum, it's easy to see that endless argument going over there.
    I actually want to learn Wing Chun for the sole purpose to hang out on the WC Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I actually want to learn Wing Chun for the sole purpose to hang out on the WC Forum.
    Lol, B. If I'm ever close to you (or vice versa), I can teach you all you need to know about Wing Chun in a day .

Of course, I dun know nothing about all these lineage battles.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    I wasn't going to respond, but your post was offensive.
    Offensive? In what way?
    You're trying to trap me into a long arguement, aren't you?
    Just to be clear, I was making jokes to show my agreement with you

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    If you cross train, you are not pure, those guys won't accept you as one of them. You have to train WC and WC only.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-05-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Blog Entries
    Just to be clear, I was making jokes to show my agreement with you
    I understand, no worry on my part.

I like to use people's comments as a mirror to look at myself. Sometime it was not the opinion but the words that were used. When I was in another internal forum, I had upset too many "Taiji" guys. I had suggested them to integrate the "leg moves" into their system. Instead of treating it as a suggestion, most people treated it as "critiicize". I just found out that I had made the same mistake here not too long ago by trying to suggest WC guys to integrate "grabbing".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-05-2013 at 01:06 PM.

When I was in another internal forum, I had upset too many "Taiji" guys. I had suggested them to integrate the "leg moves" into their system. Instead of treating it as a suggestion, most people treated it as "critiicize". I just found out that I had made the same mistake here not too long ago by trying to suggest WC guys to integrate "grabbing".
    This sort of logic makes no sense to me. Not one single art has it all. Cross train, adapt, take what's useful for you.

The difference between an open mind and a closed one. At least in that context, anyways.

"My style is the best, and so I challenge you!"

Blog Entries
    This sort of logic makes no sense to me. Not one single art has it all. Cross train, adapt, take what's useful for you.
    If a wrestler is willing to train jump kick, I see not reason a striker won't train hip throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXNx5WDPXYU

If a wrestler is willing to train jump kick, I see not reason a striker won't train hip throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXNx5WDPXYU
    Makes sense to me.

Blog Entries
    If someone puts up a clip, what will be your comment? If you say:

- this guy has good skill, people may say that your standard is too low, and you just try to be a nice guy.
    - his skill doesn't impress me, people may say that your standard is too high, and you try to prove that you are better than everybody.

It sounds like a lose-lose situation. No matter what your comment may be, you will get into argument.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-07-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    No matter how many non-WC threads that I have started, we can never have the same kind of discussion volume as many WC threads have. Maybe if I said that my longfist is better than Yang, Jwing-Ming's longfist, some of his students may jump in and argue with me to death.

Maybe we just don't argue enough. Should we argue more?

No matter how many non-WC threads that I have started, we can never have the same kind of discussion volume as many WC threads have.
    I think people find it offensive to think that their art isn't complete. I've been crosstraining since very early on, so I'm all about adaptation.

But I think there's a difference between adaptation and changing everything you do.

Maybe we just don't argue enough. Should we argue more?
    I think more martial artists need to get together with other martial artists and talk techniques and spar with people not from their school.

Blog Entries
    I think people find it offensive to think that their art isn't complete.
    If you say that longfist is not complete, I'll say, "I agree with you 100%". If you say that SC is not complete, I'll still say, "I agree with you 100%". Sometime I just don't know I should belong to the majority or the minority.

When someone said, "This is against WC principle." I truly don't know what else to say after that. A flying knee is against SC principle (because both feet are off the ground) but I love to train it.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-12-2013 at 01:54 PM.