Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The irrationality of gloved sparring

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Being aware of the flawed distance timing model your brain is developing doesn't stop it happening.
    Sure it can. Not many on this forum would agree with your views. If you are confident about your views, fine. Move on. BUT your training would greatly benefit if you had a more open mind when it comes to training methods.
    Behold. Mighty Ross. His coming was foretold in the Book of BaWang. He will come with a Vengeance on David, Son of Jamie. The Warring Trolls will unite across the Forums of Ching. And the Virgin Warrior, Pure-Hearted Lucas shall be offered up in Sacrifice to appease His Wrath. His Truth will ring in the hearts of the Kickboxers, and They shall be Glorified forevermore. Peace be upon you, Internet Traveler.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    i'd put a good purse of money down on a bet saying any 5 of his students he picks would take you apart with or without gloves.

regardless....you do realize there is an overwhelming amount of solid evidence that proves you wrong...right?
    I'm trying to figure out if the guy is serious or not? I'm thinking troll, but honestly I think he believes the crap he is dictating, but then again this is the WC part of the forum.... and i'm waiting for the chi blasting dragons to swoop down any moment and carry off bawang.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out if the guy is serious or not? I'm thinking troll, but honestly I think he believes the crap he is dictating, but then again this is the WC part of the forum.... and i'm waiting for the chi blasting dragons to swoop down any moment and carry off bawang.
    He's a troll, one best ignored. The less people that feed him Trollios for breakfast, the less he'll have to say
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Gloved training installs a flawed model of distance and timing in your brain for bare hand fighting. Gloved training encourages a different type of power generation to the one used in wing chun. I would say that is pretty wrong.
    It is better to be thought a fool than to opens ones mouth and remove all doubt

Just saying...................................
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Blog Entries
    And there is nothing right with gloved training for Chinese MA.
    With gloves on, you can punch hard on your opponent. Your opponent can also experience the shocking from your punch. If your opponent tries to knock you down 20 times but you are still standing. You will know the chance that his 21th punch may knock you down could be low. That will help you to build up your self confidence.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-25-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Wrapping hands so they don't break. Pummel the head like it's a heavy bag. Kicks to the head, like it's a heavy bag. You can take it. 'Til you can't. When I was younger (18) I took an impact to the head that smashed my teeth together, ripping my lower palate so that one of my front teeth was jutting up towards the roof of my mouth. I was able to stand back up before blacking out for a few. Never bothered getting the cosmetic dental work to make it look like it never happened. Taking hits to the head is not something everyone should be doing regularly. You've only got one head. As long as there is going to be sportfighting, there will be gloves. Pro Football will allways gear up with pads and helmets.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-25-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Taking hits to the head is not something everyone should be doing regularly. You've only got one head.
    Very true. This is why gloved sparring is like the anti-randori of Kano's genius. It makes the whole affair more dangerous, ironically destroying the very thing you need to be an effective striking based fighter.

Very true. This is why gloved sparring is like the anti-randori of Kano's genius. It makes the whole affair more dangerous, ironically destroying the very thing you need to be an effective striking based fighter.
    Actually I think just the contrary. Kano who was educated on western methodvas I understand it applied western sport training to old school jj and boxing uses that western sport training. By wearing protective equipment and practicing what you will do when really boxing you can develop faster and to higher levels of performance. The question of whether this has long term health problems has nothing to do with how effective the training is at developing greater skill. Boxers have like all other athletes only gotten better and better over the years and is universally recognized as a great and effective style.

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    Actually I think just the contrary. Kano who was educated on western methodvas I understand it applied western sport training to old school jj and boxing uses that western sport training. By wearing protective equipment and practicing what you will do when really boxing you can develop faster and to higher levels of performance.
    This is the antithesis of Kano's method. Kano was motivated to remove the dangerous techniques, allowing more and better practice of those remaining, while promoting self development through jiu jitsu practice in a safe environment. Wearing gloves makes striking less safe, both in the immediate and long term, while also making it less effective as a martial art. The culture of mma and boxing is the opposite of that promoted by Kano in his original judo.

The question of whether this has long term health problems has nothing to do with how effective the training is at developing greater skill. Boxers have like all other athletes only gotten better and better over the years and is universally recognized as a great and effective style.
    This is a myth.

Wearing gloves makes striking less safe, both in the immediate and long term, while also making it less effective as a martial art. The culture of mma and boxing is the opposite of that promoted by Kano in his original judo.
    Usually when I see someone this clueless and exactly wrong they have to be trolling.

guyb on the other hand seems to be the exception. he actually believes this stuff.

Let's take this REAL SLOW.

Gloves. What are they for?
    Protecting the hand.
    Protection means making something MORE SAFE, not LESS SAFE.
    More is better, like the TV commercials.

Got it now?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Let's take this REAL SLOW.

Gloves. What are they for?
    Protecting the hand.
    Protection means making something MORE SAFE, not LESS SAFE.
    More is better, like the TV commercials.

Got it now?
    What is more important do you think..hands or brains?

I love these guys who hate gloved sparring. What do you suggest? Regularly sparring bare knuckled? Oh wait! That's right. These guys don't spar at all because the techniques are too deadly. You'll all kill each other, right? How else do you expect to learn the feeling of fighting? It's got to be spontaneous. There is certainly a time and place for the traditional drills in your Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma as well as Chi Sao. But there must come a time when you put those things to the test and practice them in a real fight. And since anyone with half a brain knows that it isn't realistic to practice full contact sparring without safety equipment, gloves and other protective gear are needed. Is it exactly the same as a real fight? No it isn't. But it's a lot closer to it than anything I'm sure these guys are doing. All I can say is that if you think that doing forms, Chi Sao, and pre-arranged drills alone will prepare you for a real fight, you're dreaming!

I don't care what anybody says. The most important part of being able to fight is to be mentally present and aware. Fear, nervousness, and tension can all negatively affect that and that's exactly what you'll be feeling in a real fight unless you've gone through those feelings many times already and have learned to control them. If you can learn to remain present and aware even in the face of a real fight, you've got an infinitely better chance of coming out on top. If on the other hand you don't even know what a real fight feels like, how do you think you'll be able to stay present and aware? You won't be able to and I know exactly where you will end up and that's flat on your back!

What is more important do you think..hands or brains?
    Because next time God is handing out brains you'll pick differently and not choose large hands?

Quote Originally Posted by hulkout View Post
    I love these guys who hate gloved sparring. What do you suggest? Regularly sparring bare knuckled? <snip>
    Regularly sparring bare knuckled

Regularly sparring bare knuckled
    No, doesnt work.

Period.

Broken faces.... broken hands.

Unless its "light" sparring