Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The irrationality of gloved sparring

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Even though I've never been to a boxing gym, I know it's so easy and even a cave man can do it, my cousin told me so. It's just body-level, muscle stuff. One strike from my monkey beak and it's LIGHTS OUT YOU JOCK. HA HA HA.

Been doing monkey beak wing chun for six months now and gonna open up my own school soon to spread the wisdom.
    Are you sure it is alright to open a school after just 6 months of training?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    No, doesnt work.

Period.

Broken faces.... broken hands.

Unless its "light" sparring
    You mean it doesn't work when 2 people run into each other constantly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    ... but then again this is the WC part of the forum.... and i'm waiting for the chi blasting dragons to swoop down any moment and carry off bawang.
    Please ignore the chi blasting dragons. They are all smoke but no fire and since they don't train live they don't have the strength in their talons to be able to carry off bawang.

Well, the op is right - bare knuckle attacks are very different to gloved sparring, and it is wise to remember the difference. But I wouldn't throw out all the extremely useful - probably essential - things you can gain from sparring just because of that. It's hard enough to have a fight, without that awful, terrible feeling of being suddenly overwhelmed and totally out of your depth thinking "I'm going to die now" - I've had that, even after doing tons of sparring training. Sparring, or some kind of pressure work is the only way to train for that, though - as far as I know.

I always find it amusing on films where someone gets punched over and over bare knuckle right in the kisser - but then just has a little blood at the side of their mouth, and little ruffled hair. Lol.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I can't believe this thread went for six pages...
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

No, doesnt work.

Period.

It works very well.

No, doesnt work.

Period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il6zh...ture=endscreen

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Gloves change the way you hit. Why do people value gloved sparring so much when it is impossible to fight that way ungloved?

Gloved sparring is worthless because:

a) it encourages you to hit in a way that will mean you break your hand on the first or second punch, unless you are a girl or a small child

b) it trains false reactions, in both the puncher and punchee, that only hold when gloves are worn

c) it instills dangerous false confidence based on a model that is not close to reality. Gloved sparring is in some ways the opposite of Kano's genius in revolutionising grappling with randori. Randori removes the dangerous techniques while allowing realistic grappling training with full resistance. Gloved sparring actually accentuates the dangerous techniques while providing a completely false framework of action and reaction.

discuss
    So I'll presume that you spar bare-knuckle. That's pretty awesome.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    To spar with brace knuckle will be even more macho.

http://www.paklinks.com/gsmedia/file...7/knuckles.jpg

How about to spar with spikers ring?

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/1913/spikesring.jpg

If you train this daily, you shouldn't be afraid of using your fist to hit anything.

http://imageshack.us/a/img687/1774/fistij.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-28-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Point of this video was?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Why awesome? I thought most people did this

Point of this video was?
    Gloved and ungloved fighting are different and the skills developed in one do not transfer directly to the other

Gloved and ungloved fighting are different and the skills developed in one do not transfer directly to the other
    Their striking skills were average to say the least.

But thats ok, get them some gloved boxing training and they'd improve out of sight

Their striking skills were average to say the least.

But thats ok, get them some gloved boxing training and they'd improve out of sight
    Lol that's the point of the clip. That is the ungloved result of gloved training.

Lol that's the point of the clip. That is the ungloved result of gloved training.
    I could point you to the various videos on YouTube of Kimbo Slice fighting bare knuckle and you can see the ungloved result of gloved training specifically boxing. The reason in your clip those guys were so bad is not that they trained with or without gloves it just looks like they did not have much practice actually sparring and so did not have a good skill base.