Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Really...? No, REALLY..???

Have you ever seen a "canker" on a tree? An insect burrows into it, and it grows a canker over it. An insect burrows into that and it grows another canker on top.

An old friend explained to me that this is how one silly thing grows into one massive fraud - like bizarre religious cult. One lie or stupid thing is pointed out. Youd think people would go oh, well, I'll grow up and accept the reality. But no - they grow a "canker" over it - some ideological mechanism that covers the lie. Now the lie is that bit bigger.

Canker has the same root as "cancer".

I dunno - there's a massive list of cankers - have I spelled that correctly, ha ha - in martial arts.

The bestest are those which make a concept unfalsifiable - i.e. no matter what happens, it seems to prove the lie. So, if my qi power knocks you out without touching you, that proves my qi power. If it doesn't, then you're not sensitive to qi - which also proves the "reality" of qi power.

Most of these logical fallacies and lies are so old the Ancient Greeks knew about them - like Aesop's fable of the marvellous athlete.

Actually, it's no big deal to be afraid of sparring - and a simple training plan would get most competent people past that barrier. It's when hoaxers make it seem like there's a lazy option - then cankers are needed. And yes, it is ****ney rhyming slang.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Question: After all this time, are serious TCMAists really still saying that their technique/system is too deadly to use in fight sports?
    I said, "serious." Not goofy ch'i-ballers, and that guy with the double hammers, or the step guy...
    It's just that I keep hearing this argument from MMAists about TCMAists, and I really don't think there are guys still using that tired argument, or they're just talking ONLY to the wrong people??dafuq?
    The west has finally caught up in the wussification and watering down of martial arts, except this time the westerners aren't butchering up some pseudo-asian art with glee and a mixture of words from languages not understood.

We here in the west have decided to get only the exercise part of our otherwise devoid of anything but martial art. Boxing. Boxing is now a no contact sport.

Yes, it has happened and the world is turning into a giant whimpering effeminate wanker...crikey... I mean, I'm not down with foolish amounts of collecting shots to the head, but non contact boxing makes me wanna throw up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6iQP-YUqHs
    Kung Fu is good for you.

What? Now we have proof!

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Allow me to introduce to you the WC forum....
    Not fair...........................I would challenge you for daring to deride the WC System..............but my system is too deadly and I don't want to hurt you
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Question: After all this time, are serious TCMAists really still saying that their technique/system is too deadly to use in fight sports?
    I said, "serious." Not goofy ch'i-ballers, and that guy with the double hammers, or the step guy...
    It's just that I keep hearing this argument from MMAists about TCMAists, and I really don't think there are guys still using that tired argument, or they're just talking ONLY to the wrong people??dafuq?
    Define what you mean by serious. How are the goofy chi blasters and the hammer guy, not what you consider "serious" TCMAists? Not trying to be difficult, but excluding a couple examples still leaves the distinction pretty vague. Are we talking someone that competes? Law enforcement? What?

But anyways, short answer. Yes. TCMAists are still parroting that nonsense. The people that I would consider "serious" TCMAists (judging by a range of things such as the time they invest into their art, their goals, etc.) there are still a large number that make this claim. Its not always the "too deadly" line. But it often comes up in more rational minded people as, "well I can't compete because x y and z techniques are prohibited but my style focuses on such techniques." Its not that they're saying they're too deadly, but they think that rule sets give them some unfair disadvantage that doesn't impact other "modern" martial arts. Its the same game, just reworded. And they use this to rationalize to themselves their lack of comp experience. Its self delusion. But these aren't the crazy death touch nutters, they are normally pretty even headed people.

And they still reject addressing the fact that an art like BJJ has just as many "illegal" techniques. I can't go calf cutting or heel hooking everyone in amateur comp. In fact, in SC I can't attack anywhere below the knee and knee locks can only be done directly against the hinge (hyperextention), no torsional force. But that hasn't stopped BJJers from adapting other methods of attack.

Meanwhile this still happens...

Kung Fu is good for you.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    tentiger

What people remember is the dumb chi blasting idiots. I'm sure if I dug hard enough into another system I could find some but you truly don't see as many in them. It's a sore spot with me as well, I have seen some TCMA's that are very good at what they do, but in the end most people in the general populace will think of the dim mak Jackie chan hit you with a to deadly for the street/ring idiots. (nothing wrong with Jackie chan I like his movies) and honestly a lot of the other mythos from other systems has leaked in from ignorance from the general populace as well. Ask some random guy that really has no background in MA's what he thinks of kung fu and you'll get anything from bruce lee to ninja vanish.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I fail to understand how anyone believes they can imrpove their fighting ability without sparring. Training a "deadly" technique slowly each and every time isn't going to make it any deadlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    I fail to understand how anyone believes they can imrpove their fighting ability without sparring. Training a "deadly" technique slowly each and every time isn't going to make it any deadlier.
    I believe to improve requisite skills, on can take any number of paths.
    Otherwise, you're correct in stating that what we are taught, we actually learn by doing.

But be specific. Who believes what you are asserting is believed? There are any deadly techniques that must be practiced carefully and in fact, you can't spar with. Rule sets even have openly barred "techniques" in bouts that are legit to be used in a fight outside the controlled environment. Fish Hooking, environmental fighting (smashing someones head through a glass window etc), weapons, etc etc.

Accuracy is obtained through understanding the entirety of the motion. That understanding isn't had with out the slow training. it is a part of it an there are many other parts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...36&postcount=1
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

i know, right? i still cant decide if responding further in that thread is a waste of my time or not.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I peak at the Wing Chun forum once a month, just to see if these conversations are actually happening....I leave depressed and dumbfounded every time...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I peak at the Wing Chun forum once a month, just to see if these conversations are actually happening....I leave depressed and dumbfounded every time...
    they are not real people. they are like beasts, donkeys and cows.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    too deadly to use in fight sports?
    I won't say it's deadly but some technique such as to "crash your opponent's knee joint side way" is not proper to be used in the sport environment.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-23-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument