Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space Oddity....IN SPAAAACE

Space Oddity....IN SPAAAACE

C'mon now, that's pretty sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo

Space travel...ah, if only.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

It's gonna be awhile before we can spend any extended amount of time in near zero grav. Our technology will be ready far sooner than our bodies will be. Evolving under certain conditions makes it quite difficult to make such a drastic change so quickly. Unfortunately.

Just look at what the guys on the ISS go through. And it's a pretty short stay.

Space travel...ah, if only.
    Right? Every time I see video from out there, it makes me want to be an astronaut.

Hold the phone

He brought a guitar to the space station? How the heck did he pack that?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

There's 2 of them up there now. One is the ISS pass around, and one is a super light no framer. Pretty cools stuff. that guitar is still up there, floating around in micro gravity.

I really wonder what it would sound like live inside the ISS. I bet it has sweet tone.
    FWIW, that acoustic he plays in the vid is a Laravee and they're made in Canadastan.
    The no framer is an ovation I think.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    He brought a guitar to the space station? How the heck did he pack that?
    They have a specific size/weight of personal items they can bring with them and/or have delivered during re-stock.

A private is building a station for 500 million right now. If you only knew what NASA spent on theirs!!!

I love NASA, but MAAAAN they have some redundancies they need top deal with. At least the 2013's seem to be relatively on schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    They have a specific size/weight of personal items they can bring with them and/or have delivered during re-stock.

A private is building a station for 500 million right now. If you only knew what NASA spent on theirs!!!

I love NASA, but MAAAAN they have some redundancies they need top deal with. At least the 2013's seem to be relatively on schedule.
    They have advanced some crazy wicked tech since they started the Game Changing Technology Program.

Seriously. They have was is called a Tech level system rated 1-9 with 1 being an idea, an so on up to 9 which is fully developed and usable technology.

they found that projects were getting stuck at the levels that followed proof of concept (level 3) and they developed the GCTP to help the most promising advanced techs get through the stages to readiness.

Check out the Dream Catcher: http://www.nasa.gov/topics/technolog...cognition.html

Who cares about the shuttle program with this? Nobody. lol.
    Not only that, but they've developed tech that will allow astronauts to stay in space longer without experiencing the bone and muscle loss usually associated with doing so.

Solar electric ion propulsion is coming up. super fast...ridiculously fast... like crazy.

gravity warp technology is underway.

I think it is totally safe to say that NASA is the leading developer of advanced technologies despite any bureaucratic burdens they have. Seriously, they are the coolest aspect of taxpayers dollar usage going.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I think it is totally safe to say that NASA is the leading developer of advanced technologies despite any bureaucratic burdens they have. Seriously, they are the coolest aspect of taxpayers dollar usage going.
    Couldn't agree more. Not only do I support penny4nasa but I would support giving them even more. I'm just sayin... They have a ****ed up bureaucratic system in many ways. Not to mention the two VERY preventable shuttle disasters. Especially the Challenger. They were told and they launched anyways.

And there is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCLgRyKvfp0

The Columbia was even worse. Again, we can lay this one at managements door as well. Many view this as the price of progress. I see both of them as very preventable disasters. It's one thing to say this and that after the fact, but in both cases there were more than enough voices raising the alarm before the fact.

It's sad that they have to put on a show for the people with the purse. People leading committees to fund NASA yet have ZERO experience with any of the sciences. Ridiculous.

Just to bring this ON TOPIC...

Wonder if they have a guitar on their space station? I'd be super impressed if they brought a jian.
    Chinese astronauts strike Kung-Fu poses for kids in their lecture from space
    Enozia Vakil
    First Posted: Jun 24, 2013 11:35 AM EDT

Wang Yaping demonstrates how a bubble floats in space, in the live lecture broadcasted to students in China Credit:Reuters

In a 51 minute class from space, Chinese astronauts did their best to educate the 330-odd grade students about weightlessness - from striking Kung fu poses to playing with blobs of water, they did it all.

This lecture, conducted live from China's orbiting space station, was an attempt to popularize space programs and studies in the new, upcoming generation.

Astronaut Wang Yaping happily responded to the questions put forth by the kids, who gathered at the Beijing auditorium, on topics ranging from staying fit, to living in space.

To make the lecture more interactive and entertaining, Nie Haisheng, a fellow astronaut sat in a cross-legged lotus position, familiar to all fans of Chinese martial arts films.

"In space, we're all kung fu masters," Wang said.

The astronauts also demonstrated how water bubbles look in space, without any gravity to pull them down.

Around 60 million students, some of whom were watching the live TV broadcast in their classroom, got to be a part in this one-of-a-kind educational initiative from space.

"The spirit of science among youth is an important drive for the progress of mankind," designer-in-chief of China's manned space program, Zhou Jianping, explained.

Being the third nation after Russia and US, China launched its first crew mission to space in the year 2003, and has now entered its second decade successfully.

China's new future space station is expected to weigh around 60 tons, and will be a bit smaller than NASA's skylab from the 1970s. This new space station, named Tiangong 2, will be much larger than the current station, and is expected to be ready within
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I wonder how many stations there will be in 10 years? I know of like 5 in the works. If we want to colonize space or do any sort of long term travel, we have a TON of research to do on long term affects on the human body(and mind for that matter). Evolving over millions of years in a certain way makes it tough to just "go live in space". Artificial grav will solve SOME of the problems, but not all.

Back OT again

Kung-fu chicken? Seriously?
    NASA taste-tests Mars menu (tip: avoid the Kung-fu chicken)
    Spam-based recipes get thumbs up, but Kung-fu chicken was 'pretty awful'
    CBC News
    Posted: Aug 19, 2013 11:37 AM ET
    Last Updated: Aug 19, 2013 11:31 AM ET

Over the course of the mission, which was meant to simulate food preparation on Mars, participants ate a combination of pre-packaged instant foods and food they cooked themselves from packaged, shelf-stable ingredients such as Spam and dehydrated vegetables. Over the course of the mission, which was meant to simulate food preparation on Mars, participants ate a combination of pre-packaged instant foods and food they cooked themselves from packaged, shelf-stable ingredients such as Spam and dehydrated vegetables. (Sian Proctor/HI-SEAS)

Canadian Simon Engler (left) prepares pelmeni, a type of Russian dumbpling, with crew-mate Oleg Abramov. Canadian Simon Engler (left) prepares pelmeni, a type of Russian dumbpling, with crew-mate Oleg Abramov. (Sian Proctor/HI-SEAS)

A Canadian who spent four months living in a simulated Mars habitat as part of a NASA-funded project to test food that people might eat on Mars says it has changed his perspective on Spam.

"I don't have the same hang-ups as before," said Simon Engler in an interview with Day 6's Brent Bambury after emerging from the HI-SEAS project last week.

Cooked the right way, he said, the tinned meat product he once turned his nose up at "tastes really good."

Engler, a robotics engineer from Calgary who previously served with the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan, emerged Tuesday from his temporary home on the Mars-like lava fields of Mauna Loa on Hawaii's Big Island, along with five other participants in the project.

The goal of the study by researchers at Cornell University and the University of Hawaii was to compare how future Mars travelers might fare on a diet of pre-packaged instant foods and food they cook themselves from bulk, shelf-stable ingredients such as dehydrated vegetables and Spam.

Engler said that's important, because the current astronaut diet of packaged food is only good for short missions — after longer periods of time, astronauts get tired of it and don't want to eat any more of the same food, which causes them to lose weight and has a negative impact on their performance.

He added that being able to cook, as people can't really do in space but will be able to on Mars, makes all the difference when it comes to livening up the menu.

"The amount of variety that you can have and the quality just goes up exponentially."

Engler said one of the worst foods he ate during the project was one of the pre-packaged instant meals, called Kung-fu chicken.

"It doesn't taste like anything remotely like a chicken, or anything else I know about in this real world," he recalled. "It was pretty awful and had the consistency of a syrup — it was supposed to be almost a stew. It was pretty difficult to get through those meals."

On the other hand, he said some of his crewmates made "immaculate, wonderful dishes," including traditional Russian dishes with hand-rolled noodles. He also enjoyed crepes and some Spam-based recipes submitted by the public as part of a recipe contest run by the project.

That said, he admitted that a lot of the crew members were craving fresh fruit by the end of the mission.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tiangong-1

Remember when Skylab crashed? Wow, nearly 3 decades ago now. Man, America was great back then...

China says space station that's crashing to earth won't hit anything, or it will be in touch if it does
    Reuters
    5h

An illustration of China's large modular space station, Tiangong-1, burning up in Earth's atmosphere.Aerospace Corporation/YouTube

It is unlikely that any large parts of China's Tiangong-1 space lab will reach the ground when it falls to Earth, but China will be in touch if it does, China's foreign ministry said on Friday.
    The craft is expected to re-enter Earth's atmosphere at some time from this week, according to China's manned space program, but no one knows for sure where.
    It was originally set to be decommissioned in 2013 but China has repeatedly extended its mission, leading some scientists to believe that it has gone out of control.

BEIJING (Reuters) - It is unlikely that any large parts of China's Tiangong-1 space lab will reach the ground when it falls to Earth, and China has been in close touch with the United Nations about its progress, China's foreign ministry said on Friday.

The craft is expected to re-enter Earth's atmosphere at some time from this week, according to China's manned space program, but no one knows for sure where.

Speaking at a daily news briefing, foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang said the government had been continually informing the U.N. space agency of the latest information about the Tiangong-1.

China had been responsible and transparent, Lu said.

"If there is a need, we will promptly be in touch with the relevant country," he said.

"As to what I have heard, at present the chances of large fragments falling to the ground are not very great, the probability is extremely small."

The 10.4-metre-long (34.1-foot) Tiangong-1, or "Heavenly Palace 1", China's first space lab, was launched into orbit in 2011 to carry out docking and orbit experiments as part of China's ambitious space program, which aims to place a permanent station in orbit by 2023.

It was originally set to be decommissioned in 2013 but China has repeatedly extended its mission, leading some scientists to believe that it has gone out of control.

Advancing China's space program is a priority for President Xi Jinping, who has called for Beijing to become a global space power with both advanced civilian space flight and capabilities that strengthen national security.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Great, Greater Greatest USA

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Remember when Skylab crashed? Wow, nearly 3 decades ago now. Man, America was great back then...

Skylab crashed July 11, 1979. That is almost four (4) decades ago.. short a year.

The phrase "Make America Great Again" was used by both President Reagan and President Trump who have both apparently accomplished the same things IE they both made America politically and militarily strong on the world stage and they both made the American Economy prosper. Reagan brought America out of a recession and Trump has made America more prosperous in a very short time after Obama's efforts to disintegrate the country and reprogram it for Globalism.

1979 , when the Skylab crashed was the time of a great energy crisis which precipitated the 80's recession. and would not be the time President Reagan was referring to when he wanted to make the economy strong again.

Donald Trump's use of the slogan comes from his 2011 book "Time to Get Tough Again" subtitled "Making America Number 1 Again", in which he stated many of his goals
    "Time to Get Tough describes Trump's views on the state of the United States in 2011 and was intended to inform Americans about his ideals.[1] The book explains why he believed the U.S. economy was suffering, criticizes President Barack Obama, and describes ideals which would guide him if he were leading the country.[1] In the book, he calls America "the greatest country the world has ever known.""
    The Globalist-Owned, In-the-Democrat-Tank, Press reviled the book which naturally means it proposed sound strategies and was anathema to the Globalist slogan which is "Make America Beringian Again".

Name:  Time_to_Get_Tough.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  22.2 KB

Advancing China's space program is a priority for President Xi Jinping, who has called for Beijing to become a global space power with both advanced civilian space flight and capabilities that strengthen national security.
    More likely President Xi Jiping would like the program to strengthen China's International Military Superiority as per the recent speech he delivered:

Mar 20, 2018 - Chinese president Xi Jinping has delivered a nationalistic speech in which he vowed the nation would “take our due place in the world” and was ready “to fight bloody battles against our enemies”.
    I think he would like to "Make America Pre-Historic Again" I don't think this includes California. With all the Asian investment, California may be considered a Province of China, or perhaps with all the illegal immigration it is a State of Mexico, making "Mexico Great Again" I'm not sure which.

Xi JinPing definitely has his eye on a China Star Wars Program

How China Is Weaponizing Outer Space

Many of China’s space capabilities are designed to counter U.S. military advantages.
    By Harsh Vasani
    January 19, 2017
    What Is the “Weaponization” of Space?

The weaponization of space includes placing weapons in outer space or on heavenly bodies as well as creating weapons that will transit outer space or simply travel from Earth to attack or destroy targets in space. Examples include the placing of orbital or suborbital satellites with the intention of attacking enemy satellites, using ground-based direct ascent missiles to attack space assets, jamming signals sent from enemy satellites, using lasers to incapacitate enemy satellites, plasma attacks, orbital ballistic missiles, and satellite attacks on Earth targets. These can be further classified into direct-energy and kinetic-energy weapons.
    China’s Surging Military Space Program

China’s accelerating military space program is fielding new optical and radar imaging spacecraft as well as ocean surveillance and electronic eavesdropping satellites to monitor and even target U.S. Navy ships in the Pacific, while also monitoring the basing of U.S. air power in the region.

These Chinese “milsats” are also closely monitoring Taiwan’s military capabilities as well as Indian and Japanese forces, all of which could be engaged in hostilities with China in coming decades.

Two Chinese navigation satellite programs and dedicated military communications satellite systems are also vital parts of China’s rapidly modernizing military.

Pat Buchanan: China Is a Far Greater Menace to the US Than Russia (Start at Minute Six)
    Last edited by wolfen; 04-01-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    "顺其自然"

So much for that

Tiangong-1, China’s First Space Station, Crashes Into the Pacific
    查看简体中文版 查看繁體中文版
    By KENNETH CHANG APRIL 1, 2018

A radar image of Tiangong-1, the Chinese space station that re-entered Earth’s atmosphere. Credit Fraunhofer Institute, via Associated Press

A Chinese space station the size of a school bus re-entered Earth’s atmosphere about 5:16 p.m. Pacific time on Sunday, scattering its remaining pieces over the southern Pacific Ocean, according to the United States’ Joint Force Space Component Command.

The demise of the station, Tiangong-1, became apparent when radar stations no longer detected it passing overhead. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries; the likelihood that pieces would land on someone was small, but not zero.

The station may have landed northwest of Tahiti, Jonathan McDowell, an astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, said on Twitter. That location is north of the Spacecraft Cemetery, an isolated region in the Pacific Ocean where space debris has frequently landed.

For the past few weeks the fate of Tiangong-1 has provided some drama. The Chinese lost control of the spacecraft a couple of years ago and thus could not guide it to the middle of an ocean. Because of the drag of air molecules bouncing off Tiangong-1, the station’s altitude dropped, and the descent accelerated quickly in the last few days.

Multiple agencies issued predictions of the time of Tiangong-1’s end, most concluding that April 1 was the most likely date. But because it was moving so fast, it was impossible to know where exactly it would come down, and the debris would be scattered over thousands of square miles.

China launched Tiangong-1 — Tiangong translates as “heavenly palace” — in 2011 as essentially a proof-of-concept of technologies for future stations. Two crews of Chinese astronauts visited it, the first for 11 days, the second for 13 days.

In March 2016, the Chinese announced that communications had ended with the space station, but they did not provide details. The altitude of the station was last increased three months earlier, in December 2015.

A second station, Tiangong-2, remains operating in orbit, and over the next few years, China plans to build a larger one.

For objects as large as Tiangong-1, 0 percent to 40 percent of the mass will make it all the way to Earth’s surface without burning up. But the station is far from being the largest object launched by humans to re-enter the atmosphere.

The Russian Mir space station, with a mass equal to 15 Tiangong-1s, was the largest, but the Russians successfully guided it to a harmless end over the Pacific Ocean in 2001.

NASA’s Skylab space station, equal to nine Tiangong-1s, made an uncontrolled tumble back to Earth in 1979. Most of the debris landed in the ocean, but a few pieces did land in Western Australia. No one was hurt.

Jason M. Bailey contributed reporting.
    One of these days, someone will get hit by a falling space station. Imagine the insurance claim.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips