Thread: Zen Shaolin Grand Ceremony

Zen Shaolin Grand Ceremony

Stunning symmetry of ‘Shaolin’ children: Martial arts practice makes teenagers in China the most well behaved in the world

Martial arts students taking part in Zen Shaolin Grand Ceremony at the foot of Songshan Mountain
    Overlooked by the famous Shaolin Temple, home to Shaolin monks and hailed by some as cradle of martial arts
    Established in the 5th Century, the monastery is at the heart of Chinese Chan Buddhism

By Kerry Mcdermott

PUBLISHED: 04:21 EST, 22 May 2013 | UPDATED: 08:06 EST, 22 May 2013

Keeping unruly children in line clearly isn't a problem for parents in this part of the world.

These striking pictures capture row upon row of teenage boys moving in perfect, peaceful symmetry in China.

The budding martial arts experts were among nearly 2,000 performers taking part in a spectacular ceremony at the foot of the country's sacred Songshan Mountain.

Martial arts: Students train en masse at the Tagou Martial Arts School near the Shaolin Temple on Songshan Mountain in Dengfeng, China, as part of the Zen Music Shaolin Grand Ceremony

Perfect unison: Hundreds of boys execute their martial arts moves in perfect unison at the school near the Shaolin Temple in China's Henan Province

The Zen Shaolin Grand Ceremony unfolded on Monday against the stunning natural backdrop of the peak, which is home to a famous 5th Century temple that has been hailed as the cradle of kung fu.

Monks, singers, musicians, dancers and local villagers were among those taking part in the visual feast close to the Shaolin Monastery near Dengfeng, in Henan Province.

Photographs from the ceremony capture hundreds of students from the Tagou School - the biggest martial arts school in China - executing a series of moves in perfect harmony.

Formation: Hundreds of young martial arts students, clad in matching red and black, formed an enormous circle at the outdoor ceremony near Dengfeng, China

Quiet strength: It is thought that martial arts were known and even practised at the Shaolin Monastery throughout its long history

Spiritual centre: The Shaolin culture is said to be unique in that it combines martial arts with Chan Buddhism - the Chinese equivalent of Zen Buddhism

Serene scene: Monks are believed to have known of and practised martial arts at the Shaolin Temple throughout its history, which stretches back to 495ADF

Students: The Tagou School is the largest martial arts school in China, and featured in the award-winning documentary film the Real Shaolin, which followed a group of would-be kung-fu warriors as they journey to the Shaolin Temple

United voices: Nearly 2,000 performers, including musicians, dancers, monks and local villagers, participated in the jaw-dropping ceremony at the foot of Songshan mountain

Others show monks demonstrating their meditation techniques during the ceremony, demonstrating how spirituality and martial arts have been intertwined in this picturesque corner of China for centuries.

It is thought that martial arts have been known and practised at the Shaolin Temple throughout its history, which stretches back to 495AD.

Shaolin Kung Fu techniques include five animal styles; the snake, crane, tiger, leopard and dragon.

Also at the heart of Shaolin culture is Chan Buddhism - the Chinese version of Zen.

Dramatic scenes: Young monks perform during the Zen Shaolin Music Grand Ceremony on Monday, an outdoor festival in the shadow of Songshan Mountain, China

Zen culture: Monks perform during the outdoor festival in Dengfeng, China, which takes place against the stunning backdrop of the natural landscape in Henan Province

There's a vid too, plus a few more pix, if you follow the link
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I really need to make a friend or two out at Songshan. I'd love to get wind of one of these big celebrations if for no other reason than to go see Taguo's thousands of students outside yelling and doing gong fu.

Brings back so many great memories!

Oh got to get back there soon, energy in that place is amazing!

Also at the heart of Shaolin culture is Chan Buddhism - the Chinese version of Zen.
    lol, shame on you ~G It's not a "version" of zen. Zen is the Japanese version of Chan.

Anyway...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Those kids look ready to wade ashore on the beaches of Taiwan.

shame on me?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    lol, shame on you ~G
    Dude, if I was held responsible for everything I cut&pasted here....well, that would be ridiculous. Way to harsh my buzz....

If you've never seen a live mass demo like the ones staged at Shaolin, you have no idea of the power of them. They are awesome, simply awesome.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Dude, if I was held responsible for everything I cut&pasted here....well, that would be ridiculous. Way to harsh my buzz....

If you've never seen a live mass demo like the ones staged at Shaolin, you have no idea of the power of them. They are awesome, simply awesome.
    Please forward my repudiation of the idea that Chan is the Chinese version of Zen and concern to the author.

I mean, if you feel like bothering. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

d.i.y.

I always post the link. Feel free to correct the author yourself. I'm sure he'll be very interested in your concerns.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hey everyone,

Haven't been here in a while. I have seen this show, twice, at different times I was at Shaolin, and the scale of it is quite amazing, nothing like it compares in the U.S. It is a pretty amazing spectacle. I am at Shaolin now and hoping our Master here takes us to see it again.

2016 Zen Music Shaolin Ceremony

Looks like they just held another one

Zen Music Shaolin Ceremony Held in Central China
    July 29, 2016
    By Chen Xieyuan Editor: Jane Wang

Monks balance bowls on their heads while performing Kung Fu moves during the 'Zen Shaolin' Music Grand Ceremony on July 28, 2016 in Dengfeng of Henan Province, central China. 'Zen Shaolin' is an outdoor music festival that involves performances by hundreds of musicians, dancers, 'Kung Fu monks' and local villagers. [Chinanews.com]

Monks balance bowls on their heads while performing Kung Fu moves during the 'Zen Shaolin' Music Grand Ceremony on July 28, 2016 in Dengfeng of Henan Province, central China. 'Zen Shaolin' is an outdoor music festival that involves performances by hundreds of musicians, dancers, 'Kung Fu monks' and local villagers. [Chinanews.com]

(Source: CRIENGLISH.com)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More pix

Spectacular. No one does mass demos like Shaolin.

Keep it cool! Spectacular pictures show Shaolin kung fu monks meditating under the scorching sun while balancing a bowl of water on their head

Images from today show Shaolin monks taking part in a performance as part of the 'Shaolin Zen' festival
    Shaolin Temple is the main temple of the Shaolin school of Buddhism and has a harsh training regime
    Pictures show the students performing in the blistering heat which today reached a high of 36 degrees Celsius

By SOPHIE WILLIAMS FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 05:32 EST, 29 July 2016 | UPDATED: 07:29 EST, 29 July 2016

Incredible images show monks at the famous Shaolin Temple in Denfeng, China's central Henan province taking part in a performance in scorching heat.

The monks took part in the 'Zen Shaolin' Music Grand Ceremony on July 28, 2016, reports the People's Daily Online.

'Zen Shaolin' is an outdoor music festival that involves performances by hundreds of musicians, dancers, monks and local villagers.

Today, the weather forecast says that temperatures should reach 36 degrees Celsius.

Shaolin Monastery also referred to as the Shaolin Temple is a Buddhist temple in Dengfeng County, Henan province.

It's said that Shaolin monks have been practicing Kung Fu at the temple for over 1,500 years.

Shaolin Temple is the main temple of the Shaolin school of Buddhism. Shaolin Kung Fu is taught mainly by oral formulas handed down from generation to generation.

To reach a high level of Kung Fu, monks have to study for hours daily.

The Monastery and forest surrounding it became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2010.

Great balance! Rows of marital arts students practice Kung Fu while balancing bowls of water on their heads today in China

Now this is impressive: Martial arts students practice Shaolin Kung Fu with bowls filled with water on their heads in Denfeng, China

Show time: The martial arts students were taking part in Zen Shaolin, an outdoor music festival that involves hundreds of performances

Practicing the martial art: Shaolin Monastery is a Buddhist Temple in Dengfeng County, central China's Henan province
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Large groups of people: Monks practice the art of balance and patience by balancing bowls full of water on their heads

The students were taking part in 'Zen Shaolin' a festival featuring performances from musicians, dancers, monks and local villagers

Hot day to be outside: The martial arts students performed during hot weather in Dengfeng, central China's Henan province

Hard working students: Those studying martial arts at the Shaolin Temple have long training regimes and study for hours each day

Standing during a really hot day: According to weather reports, Denfeng is currently reaching high temperatures of 36 degrees Celsius

Lots of patience: Martial arts students practice Shaolin Kung Fu, standing with bowls of water on their heads during hot weather

A long history: It's said that Shaolin monks have been practicing Kung Fu at the temple for over 1,500 years
    36 Celsius =96.8 Farenheit
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips