Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo Demo

*Wushu-ized spear routine.

*take a traditional form and make it bigger and more expressive, pausing for the "oooh aaahh" moments.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    *take a traditional form and make it bigger and more expressive, pausing for the "oooh aaahh" moments.
    like how banana asians pinch their eyebrows and widen their eyes trying to be more "expressive", an "expressive form" looks just as pathetic.

srs man, u ever seen those kind of asian people? they face twitch and contort so much it looks like they getting paralyzed lol.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like how banana asians pinch their eyebrows and widen their eyes trying to be more "expressive", an "expressive form" looks just as pathetic.

srs man, u ever seen those kind of asian people? they face twitch and contort so much it looks like they getting paralyzed lol.
    You ever seen a WWE wrestling match? Now that is some trumped up crap acting. lol

Also, each and every B rated action movie is over the top with the bad acting and so on.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    If you train style X and there is a style X event that every style X guys will be asked to give a style X performance. If you are the only person that no longer believe in solo form training, what can you contribute to that event?

Without demo partner, timing, opportunity, angle will have no meaning. Whether striking into the thin air or throwing an invisible opponent will have any meaning or not that is still debatable. The only thing left is balance and flexibiltty. May be balance and flexibility can be the main demo item here.

No matter what demo you may give "solo", people will always say

- "It won't work agaisnt a full resistent opponent".
    - "It looks good but can you fight?"
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you train style X and there is a style X event that every style X guys will be asked to give a style X performance. If you are the only person that no longer believe in solo form training, what can you contribute to that event?

Without demo partner, timing, opportunity, angle will have no meaning. Whether striking into the thin air or throwing an invisible opponent will have any meaning that is still debatable. The only thing left is balance and flexibiltty. May be balance and flexibility can be the main demo item here.

No matter what demo you may give "solo", people will always say

- "It won't work agaisnt a full resistent opponent".
    - "It looks good but can you fight?"
    Get a volunteer and demo the difference between classical form and application, and explain how to make the translation between the two.

That way you can do something interesting while making your point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Get a volunteer and demo the difference between classical form and application, and explain how to make the translation between the two.

That will be a good suggestion. I don't remember I have seen any demo like this as you have suggested? Most demo are just form after form.

If you can use equipment, demo something impressive on the equipment. I remember seeing a WC demo where at the end the Sifu (forgive me for lapsing on his name at the moment) broke the arms off the dummy and broke the dummy off of the frame.

Maybe you could bring a throwing dummy on stage and then do a couple very violent and powerful throws?
    -Golden Arms-

thats a good idea. throw the dummy onto its head so people cringe thinking about their necks.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post

I like N's idea a lot, but if that doesn't work out then I suggest you get a few of your worst enemies together and beat the sh!t out of them in front of the crowd. Of course that last part is sarcasm.

I do have an idea to contribute... Maybe a cutting/chopping demo with your favorite sword. I love to take mine out back and thin out the bamboo so maybe you could get a few of those mats that you roll up on stands and hack away.

Good luck with the demo!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    beat the sh!t out of ...
    I used the word "sh!t" in another forum and I was banned for almost a week.

That will be a good suggestion. I don't remember I have seen any demo like this as you have suggested? Most demo are just form after form.
    We explain application like this in class to give students additional insight.

My sihing and I have demo'd like that while our teacher explained to the audience. But the explanation didn't go into a lot of detail. People mostly just enjoyed seeing the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    If you can use equipment, demo something impressive on the equipment. I remember seeing a WC demo where at the end the Sifu (forgive me for lapsing on his name at the moment) broke the arms off the dummy and broke the dummy off of the frame.

Maybe you could bring a throwing dummy on stage and then do a couple very violent and powerful throws?
    Good idea.

Demo some equipment training.

Throwing dummy, pole with weight at one end, the weighted cloth thing you guys use for snapping, belt cracking... bring a post and demo tree hanging.

Invite some from audience to try.

I used the word "sh!t" in another forum and I was banned for almost a week.
    well

you can always say sheiss or sheisse. (german)

nobody would know.

or merde (french)

does the form of shuai jiao have solo throw drills? i do beijing style and most of the throws have solo drill. and a cool set of rolls. what about the rolls ,then solo drills ,do them in line drills then go into partner throws and so on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    does the form of shuai jiao have solo throw drills? i do beijing style and most of the throws have solo drill. and a cool set of rolls. what about the rolls ,then solo drills ,do them in line drills then go into partner throws and so on.
    Different from Judo, SC has solo drills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PenBl...ature=youtu.be

I had created the following SC form about 30 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CupgP...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-25-2013 at 11:38 PM.