Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens to Wing Chun when you make it competitive?

If you look at videos of first time amateur boxers they will typically not look good either many times terrible by pro standards and that is because they are beginners at fighting. There are levels of performance. In fighting your opponent is trying let me repeat trying to make you look terrible by making you miss by hitting you by confusing you by beating you to punch by messing up your range and timing by setting you up and on and on. They don't just stand there and let you do what you want. These same amateurs will look good in training.

Your examples are not what happens when you make wing chun competitive it is what happens when you have low level performers of any art compete. Do you think these same guys would look great on the street?

Fighting on the street is competition just the stakes are higher.

A couple of these clips weren't showing competition and were mainly just demos of forms and cooperative chis sau at events. Hopefully the OP doesn't consider all of these clips 'competition'

That said, there's something for everyone. Of course some of it was 'lower level' as has already been stated, but at least the people are getting out there and testing their stuff out at some level. I personally am not a big fan of the chi sau comps in general because they typically have nothing to really do with WC & fighting IMO. I mean, why make a whole competition focused around what a lot of people consider just a sensitivity drill. But, if you're going to do it, I much more prefer the 2 clips that showed guys suited up with gloves and head gear as a starting point like this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCC_c...ature=youtu.be

While this might offer a little too much protection for some, I'd say it's a step up from the normal silly non-energy, no head shots, slap-fest pushing-match chi sau comps that go on at most of the competitions, which IMO are a complete waste of time. Of which I've judged at an event, never to do again - at least not in the same format. I'd much more prefer what's een in the clip above.

One thing I'm confused about regarding this clip, why start from a connected (silly) 3 count roll simply to break contact to only reengage and go from there? Might as well just start from the non-contact position and engage like they typically did every time after the roll - or start for crossed hands connection and go (right wrist to right wrist). Makes a lot more sense since most fights start that way and they went there everytime anyway.

Look fwd what the OP thinks of these clips and what his real intentions are for putting them up though
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 05-25-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

What happens to Wing Chun when you make it competitive ?

LoneTiger , sounds good to me , then that way the students of each wing chun group or school , club can see how good they really are , as oppose to just training within their class sessions . All the beginners challenge all the beginners from the other wing chun school , group or club , so as the advance and the senior wing chun assistant instructors . It would be good .

Lance

Do any clips exist showing good wing chun full contact gloved sparring? I would be interested to view them if they do, since this is the training methodology strongly advocated by the mma fan contingent of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Look fwd what the OP thinks of these clips and what his real intentions are for putting them up though
    Errr... my 'real' intentions?

To show what happens to Wing Chun when you make it competitive.

Personally, I didn't like any of the clips because I can not stand to watch this kinda stuff. Stating 'Chisau Competition' when it simply isn't anything to do with Chisau is in itself fundamentally wrong and false advertising lol!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    LoneTiger , sounds good to me , then that way the students of each wing chun group or school , club can see how good they really are , as oppose to just training within their class sessions . All the beginners challenge all the beginners from the other wing chun school , group or club , so as the advance and the senior wing chun assistant instructors . It would be good .

Lance
    Hi Lance... I know you may like the idea as you are from a fighting background, but really?? You think this would be beneficial to students of Wing Chun today and tomorrow?

I guess what I am saying is, if you think it's okay for all Wing Chun family to fight eachother can you tell me why? You say the advance and senior students, do you mean you could advance to that level if you prove yourself by beating a fellow practitioner?

Are you not just feeding the in-fighting that already exists?

Go out and compete in Sanda/Sanshou. I don't think we prove anything by fighting ourselves... but that's just me.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

Personally, I didn't like any of the clips because I can not stand to watch this kinda stuff. Stating 'Chisau Competition' when it simply isn't anything to do with Chisau is in itself fundamentally wrong and false advertising lol!
    Do you really think that the art somehow cannot work when its practitioners compete?

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    Do you really think that the art somehow cannot work when its practitioners compete?
    It can work fine in a no gloves striking competition format

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

I figured you wouldn't like any of the clips, because it's of people out testing their art (at whatever level) - something you are clearly opposed (afraid??) to do and now can't even stand to watch.
    So, the 'real intentions' for this thread were clear from the start: Find a bunch of clips of various people out testing their art in various venues so you can show your complete dissaproval later. I'd call that just more desperate troll bait.

Ok, so once again you voice your dissaproval of people getting out and testing themselves against people outside the safety of the kwoon. What is it that are you so afraid of? Do you really believe WC will stop being WC just because you are testing it against other arts? Do you think the founders of the art never tested it in live situations?
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 05-28-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    It can work fine in a no gloves striking competition format
    Not sure why you feel that WC is so inferior to other MA that can make THEIR strikes work with gloves.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    No. I just don't like competitions.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I'd call that just more desperate troll bait.
    Your obsession with Trolls reminds me of an old friend of mine.

He too couldn't read well... so he just made up words that he thought he could see lol!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術