Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens to Wing Chun when you make it competitive?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Not sure why you feel that WC is so inferior to other MA that can make THEIR strikes work with gloves.
    I'd rather they work without than with. The two are entirely different
    Last edited by guy b.; 05-28-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Nice share Sanjuro... but which was your best example of Wing Chun 'sparring'?

I liked the way this dude cancelled out much of the kickboxers leg work http://youtu.be/lgwzfmIfAHU?t=11m23s
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    I'd rather they work without than with. The two are entirely different
    A good fighter can make anything work.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Nice share Sanjuro... but which was your best example of Wing Chun 'sparring'?

I liked the way this dude cancelled out much of the kickboxers leg work http://youtu.be/lgwzfmIfAHU?t=11m23s
    Best example?
    I would depend on a person's view of what THEY think WC is.
    The clip I posted simply shows that WC can and has been used VA others, sometimes well, sometimes not as well.
    Point being there is NO reason NOT to cross test a system, it would be silly not to as a matter of fact ( know thy enemy...).

A good fighter can make anything work.
    Fighting with and without gloves is different. There is no direct transference of fighting skill from one to the other.

Best example?
    The clip I posted simply shows that WC can and has been used VA others, sometimes well, sometimes not as well.
    Point being there is NO reason NOT to cross test a system, it would be silly not to as a matter of fact ( know thy enemy...).
    Who is saying don't test? Competition and testing are not equivalent.

Ironically, the best wing chun clips in the video you posted (Jerry and Philip from HK vs the xing yi guys) have been dismissed as irrelevant by the mma fan boys. These show skilled practitioners actually using it vs an opponent also trying to impose their style in a free test of skills.

Fighting with and without gloves is different. There is no direct transference of fighting skill from one to the other.
    Ok then.
    Have a good one.

Ok then.
    Have a good one.
    No problem

As someone quoted the other day, it is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    As someone quoted the other day, it is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it.
    Then stop doing so

Then you should be really happy if someone set up a bareknuckle match between you and one of the Klitschkos.

Actually that would make all of us really happy.

Best example?
    Completely agree. Unfortunately, there are some WC 'purists' here that feel doing this would somehow water down or change their WC.

While I don't subsribe to the need to cross train WC with other arts (except maybe BJJ for ground grappling if one choses), we should all be willing to test ourselves with other arts so we don't live in a bubble under false illusions that our skills can protect ourselves when needed wihtout ever having tested them. (haha, yeah, run-on sentance)
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 05-28-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Your obsession with Trolls reminds me of an old friend of mine.

He too couldn't read well... so he just made up words that he thought he could see lol!
    It's just like a troll, copy out selected bits of someone's post to troll some more while ignoring any content that is relative to the discussion.

Since you're so against going out and trying your art against other styles, how do you verify whether or not you can confidently 'drop' someone in a real confrontations without it? What do you do in your training that gives you this confidence?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Then you should be really happy if someone set up a bareknuckle match between you and one of the Klitschkos.

Actually that would make all of us really happy.
    There is absolutely no evidence that the Klitschko brothers are effective fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Since you're so against going out and trying your art against other styles, how do you verify whether or not you can confidently 'drop' someone in a real confrontations without it? What do you do in your training that gives you this confidence?
    He likes to do compliant chi sau until he gets into a position where he can hold the other guy's face and dance. if the dancing elicits a "nice movement" comment from his sihings, then he is assured that will be enough to be able to drop someone in an altercation. If you have "nice movement" then you have "good wing chun".