Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clip

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Yep, great clip Sean.... definetly look you guys up when im in Belgium next year

Hey thanks guys!

Just having fun and trying to go forward with the training methods.
    I couldn't show everything in this clip, but we've been working on a lot of progressive sparring lately.

We start off with footwork sparring, where each person fights for the better position using footwork only. Then we move on to defensive sparring, with one guy attacking and the other using evasive footwork and parrying with jum, man, bong, etc. Then it's on to counter attacking and finally to light technical sparring. A couple times a week we also put on the protection and go a little harder, but always with improving technique in mind.

This progression can be done system internal (VT against VT) or with one person using techniques external to VT (hooks, overhands, low kicks, etc.)

Stress inoculation drills we do in scenario training.

The fact that the fighting doesn't collapse into kickboxing or lead leg chain punching should be noted. The use of angling and striking with elbow positions and mobility is well executed. Not to mention the method trained / drilled LOOKS like vt when fighting.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 05-27-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    Hey thanks guys!

I couldn't show everything in this clip, but we've been working on a lot of progressive sparring lately.

We start off with footwork sparring, where each person fights for the better position using footwork only. Then we move on to defensive sparring, with one guy attacking and the other using evasive footwork and parrying with jum, man, bong, etc. Then it's on to counter attacking and finally to light technical sparring. A couple times a week we also put on the protection and go a little harder, but always with improving technique in mind.

This progression can be done system internal (VT against VT) or with one person using techniques external to VT (hooks, overhands, low kicks, etc.)

I like the energy in your clip. I get the overall impression that you are putting effort into bridging the gap from technique and skills to a live unrestricted environment sparring. I see modern tools used in sparring - 4-6oz gloves, some form of head protection. I'm not a huge fan of the encased head gear with the acrylic window, but I'm sure it works for getting reps in punching each other in the grill in a realistic manner that would be similar to an altercation.

I like your mixup of testing and sparring. 2x / week harder sparring, then lighter variations other times is a great mix.

I like the mixup of what you are working on in sparring. Defense only, footwork, counter attack, etc.

Can you break down your approach further beyond the one paragraph above? I think the detail would be helpful for everyone to see.

The fact that the fighting doesn't collapse into kickboxing or lead leg chain punching should be noted. The use of angling and striking with elbow positions and mobility is well executed. Not to mention the method trained / drilled LOOKS like vt when fighting.
    I agree. I think this happens because the student has a low stress roadmap to move from learning a technique to applying it live, with several steps in between broken down. There's a good mix of skill tests from restricted to live. There is the harder contact end of the spectrum involved so getting punched in the street won't make the student forget everything he learned.

I agree. I think this happens because the student has a low stress roadmap to move from learning a technique to applying it live, with several steps in between broken down. There's a good mix of skill tests from restricted to live. There is the harder contact end of the spectrum involved so getting punched in the street won't make the student forget everything he learned.
    You pretty much summed it up right there, Wayfaring.
    Learning a technique starts with understanding the underlying body mechanics, not only intellectually but also kinesthetically. That's why we do alignment and posture testing to get the students to "feel" correct alignment right off the bat. Get them to feel what "structure" really is and how it is used to generate force.

The techniques (footwork included) are then drilled in all sorts of ways. Both solo (forms, wooden dummy, punching bags, tennis ball) and with a partner (dan chi, chi sao, lap sao, etc.). These drills are progressive. They start out very simple and then variables are slowly added. That way the student has the time to develop reflexes that allow them to use the same technique in different situations (to the extent that that's possible).

Lap sao is actually a great training tool and is a good way to segueway right into sparring. But then I like to break down the sparring in the manner that I already mentioned, working first on footwork only, then defense/evasion, countering and then full technical sparring. You can basically pick any aspect of your game to work on and isolate it in sparring.

What sort of specifics would you like to know?

You pretty much summed it up right there, Wayfaring.
    Learning a technique starts with understanding the underlying body mechanics, not only intellectually but also kinesthetically. That's why we do alignment and posture testing to get the students to "feel" correct alignment right off the bat. Get them to feel what "structure" really is and how it is used to generate force.

The techniques (footwork included) are then drilled in all sorts of ways. Both solo (forms, wooden dummy, punching bags, tennis ball) and with a partner (dan chi, chi sao, lap sao, etc.). These drills are progressive. They start out very simple and then variables are slowly added. That way the student has the time to develop reflexes that allow them to use the same technique in different situations (to the extent that that's possible).

Lap sao is actually a great training tool and is a good way to segueway right into sparring. But then I like to break down the sparring in the manner that I already mentioned, working first on footwork only, then defense/evasion, countering and then full technical sparring. You can basically pick any aspect of your game to work on and isolate it in sparring.

What sort of specifics would you like to know?
    Actually, i particularly like the 1st 10 seconds Sean.
    Structure testing is so important before moving onto sparring etc

Thanks GlennR.

I also think that structure testing is important and helpful.
    We've worked on this with Tim Cartmell during his recent workshop on Sun Taijiquan, and I've now integrated it into the VT training. Like I said it really gives beginners a "feel" for good alignment/structure.

But keeping good alignment/structure while moving is not always easy in the beginning. And that's why I do so many footwork drills. Set patterns, mirror drills, footwork shadow boxing, etc.

cant get the clip to play.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

found the clip on youtube and got it to play. Nice production quality. I like the structure testing and the footwork drills. Also like the pad work.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    cant get the clip to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvSd7...ature=youtu.be

@Kevin: Very important point!

Thanks GlennR.

I also think that structure testing is important and helpful.
    We've worked on this with Tim Cartmell during his recent workshop on Sun Taijiquan, and I've now integrated it into the VT training. Like I said it really gives beginners a "feel" for good alignment/structure.

But keeping good alignment/structure while moving is not always easy in the beginning. And that's why I do so many footwork drills. Set patterns, mirror drills, footwork shadow boxing, etc.
    Funny, it was only 10 seconds wortj but the testing i saw is pretty much the same as TST's stuff......... nice

Hey thanks guys!

Nice to see a broader explanation of what I have tried to say on other threads about how I prefer to train people for sparring (albeit I do not train guys or approve of competitions in their current/past form) although I call this kinda stuff 'interactive training' as it falls outside the typical Chisau touchy feely hands trends.

Now all you gotta do Sean is take the dudes to other non-V/Wing Ts/Chun schools and spar
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Now all you gotta do Sean is take the dudes to other non-V/Wing Ts/Chun schools and spar
    he already does