Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Clip

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    Hey JPinAZ,

Just out of curiosity, what violates your understanding of WC?
    Don't worry, I won't take it personally and go off on ya, just wanting to get your perspective.
    I was going to comment that I would say sometimes your guys give up the line to angle unecessarily or stepping back when not needed. But out of fairness I rewatched the clip and I now take that statement back
    When I see this done, it's mostly during mitt/pad work, so it could be that the guys doing this might be just be giving stimulus to their partners. For the most part, your guys actually stand their ground when receiving attacks and divert the incoming attack vs. sidestepping if they can (this is seen most clearly when they have the headgear & gloves on).

The only thing I might say is they sometimes appear to lean when they are slicing an angle and countering. I'd just say maybe have them take a little step vs. leaning. One example is guy in black polo shirt on the right @0:52, and then the guy in the sleeveless black shirt just after that. So from a self centerline principle, I personally would try to avoid the bob/weave. But really, it's a small thing, and at least they are sparring!

Otherwise, I stand corrected and good job!
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 05-30-2013 at 08:25 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Thanks for the feedback JPinAZ!

Yes, the leaning I had noticed as well, and I agree that taking a step to cut in more is better.
    One thing I noticed is that they too frequently pull back their punches when they are already "in" and should be working point to point. Maybe it's a result of the pad-work, I don't know, but it's something we have to work on.

Yes, the leaning I had noticed as well, and I agree that taking a step to cut in more is better.
    One thing I noticed is that they too frequently pull back their punches when they are already "in" and should be working point to point. Maybe it's a result of the pad-work, I don't know, but it's something we have to work on.
    How do you mean " pull back, ...."

This could be a result of not enough fwd intent thru the whole body? maybe check to see if they are leaning backwards when entering in, this would be a good indicator they are again giving up self centerline.

But that's the great thing about filming guys training - it's a perfect tool to analyse what's going on and to help point out places for improvement.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 05-30-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

As my old sifu would say observing and coaching, " the third person see's clearest " , we are all the third party.

Sean, if they were perfect they wouldn't need you
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Hey thanks guys!

Just having fun and trying to go forward with the training methods.
    I couldn't show everything in this clip, but we've been working on a lot of progressive sparring lately.

We start off with footwork sparring, where each person fights for the better position using footwork only. Then we move on to defensive sparring, with one guy attacking and the other using evasive footwork and parrying with jum, man, bong, etc. Then it's on to counter attacking and finally to light technical sparring. A couple times a week we also put on the protection and go a little harder, but always with improving technique in mind.

This progression can be done system internal (VT against VT) or with one person using techniques external to VT (hooks, overhands, low kicks, etc.)

Stress inoculation drills we do in scenario training.
    These are things that are desperately needed in more schools; not just TCMA. I've started to do similar exercises with the couple of guys I teach JKD and Muay Thai to.

I do attack vs defense, kick vs punch, and now I'm trying to experiment with grappling (qinna/shuai jiao) vs striking. I also do a specialized attack vs defense drill involving other students surrounding the two sparring and when the defense person get's to the edge, he gets thrown back in; even if that means he gets thrown in to the attacker.

What's your experience been with the headgeart you use? I've read about risks of broken noses from the metal caged helmets caving inward. Also, what's trapping like with those gloves? Is there much inhibition?
    Last edited by Kymus; 05-31-2013 at 03:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Hi Kev,

They just have to work more "point to point" in the in-fight, smothering the other guys position with good elbow work. Philipp is a master at this, and Michael as well. Once they are "in" they never let the other guy get a chance to counter-attack - never leave any spaces. It's lat sau jik chung all the way, baby!

@Kymus
    Yes, there are some problems with the caged headgear. I've had people hurt their hands on them by hitting them, despite the gloves. I've been cut pretty bad over the eye from the cage banging against my face...but these accidents are pretty rare. The bigger problems are limited vision and over confidence because you know you are protected. However, having said that, if you get a couple of hard blows on the caged headgear it's almost worse than without it...

Personally I prefer the headgear without a grill.

The gloves don't hinder us technically in any significant way.

Thanks for the input, Sean!

Yeah, I asked another dude about the face shields (full face) and he said that while they don't fog up, you do feel claustophobic. I'd probably go for the no-shield/cage, like you.

Indeed armour makes people lose the fear of being hit. I see this most often is Escrima. But it's a delicate balancing act to find what is both practical and safe .
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

But it's a delicate balancing act to find what is both practical and safe
    That's for sure. But always err on the side of safety. As long as you understand the limitations of the equipment and the drill, you'll still get a lot out of your sparring and keep everyone as safe as possible.

Hi Kev,

They just have to work more "point to point" in the in-fight, smothering the other guys position with good elbow work. Philipp is a master at this, and Michael as well. Once they are "in" they never let the other guy get a chance to counter-attack - never leave any spaces. It's lat sau jik chung all the way, baby!

@Kymus
    Yes, there are some problems with the caged headgear. I've had people hurt their hands on them by hitting them, despite the gloves. I've been cut pretty bad over the eye from the cage banging against my face...but these accidents are pretty rare. The bigger problems are limited vision and over confidence because you know you are protected. However, having said that, if you get a couple of hard blows on the caged headgear it's almost worse than without it...

Personally I prefer the headgear without a grill.

The gloves don't hinder us technically in any significant way.

I follow you, yes I overcome this as Philipp does by countering them as they withdraw the hand or just show how easy it is to reface after all that entry work. Shut them down ; )