Thread: Yee Hung Gar "Jumping the Shark"

Yee Hung Gar "Jumping the Shark"

I couldn't stop laughing for almost 10 minutes after seeing these applications.

Talk about getting yourself killed - but minimally "Rear Naked Choked".

If you don't do ground fighting, thats fine but then focus on what your good at.

I think its time they enroll in a Grappling Class.

Hello Eric, can you post the whole article please so i can see the context? Thank you.
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Yep, the neck chok is not a good one. The attacker should at least control one of the opponent's arm, and also press one knee against his lower back so as to make the opponent to make counter-attack. On the other hand, the solution employed by the one being choked is no good neither. It is highly unlikely that the defender is able to grab both the attacker's arms. Even if he succeeds in doing so, the first thing happens is that he might a knee strike to his back when he drags his attacker down. Not a good prospect. I doubt the defender will still be able to make any elbow strike then.

Regards,

Steve Lau
    Hong Kong

Yeah, I would actually like to read the whole article if you wouldn't mind posting it. Without context though, the application is definitely an interesting one.

Yee Hung Gar " Jumping the shark "

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    I couldn't stop laughing for almost 10 minutes after seeing these applications.

Talk about getting yourself killed - but minimally "Rear Naked Choked".

If you don't do ground fighting, thats fine but then focus on what your good at.

I think its time they enroll in a Grappling Class.
    Well ngokfei , this move may seem funny to you , and I agree with you too about this move , but to me Sifu Frank Yee is a good sifu too . So may be he ' s joking with you too ? Or maybe you can try to test out this move on Sifu yee himself , if you ' re lucky one day .

But there ' s other ways of getting out of this type of hold anyway ? But I ' m sure you can figure it out .

Choke

As one who has been studying JKD for a bit I now know how to effectively apply various chokes including the rear naked choke. However, despite being involved in the martial arts for a good part of my life I had never learned how to properly apply a choke until my JKD training. I'd imagine that most people frequenting this forum have a better-than-average understanding of chokes than most people, including lots of martial artists, but the average human walking around has never applied a rear naked choke in a high pressure situation. So I wouldn't be so quick to criticize Yee Sifu for his example of one method to handle an attempt of somebody trying to execute a choke from behind. I'd reckon that most people, such as street thugs, trying to choke somebody from behind might apply the choke in a manner similar to the demonstration. In that case, the supplied method may work. I'd like to think that such a technique which presumably has been tested and passed down over the years has proven effective.

Although, personally I will stick to the methods I learn through my current training since they have been proven to my satisfaction to be effective.

Best,
    Vernon
    Last edited by Vernon; 07-12-2013 at 04:48 PM.