Thread: "Monk begs for Rice" in MMA

Hybrid View

"Monk begs for Rice" in MMA

I will be regularly putting some techniques on my Youtube channel to show functional kung fu. Here is an example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T2KD...DBAozA&index=1

This is just for sharing and discussion- hope you enjoy!

Highly dependent on range!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

maybe the title should read for MMA, because i was expecting to see the technique in an actual match lol

Honestly as jamison said the distance is not realistic the kick would be thrown closer and you have a better change fo overhooking the kick as you move sideways as you do moving back and catching it like that it would probably take too long to actually work, and it doenst seem to give you enough control of his leg he can kick out, circle his legs out or at worset post his other leg on your hips and regain guard too easily

I like the idea behind your Youtube channel, but this technique I don't agree with. For starters, anyone who is worth their salt when it comes to fighting in a format that uses kicks and punches is going to use the front kick to set up the front hand if they see your face is not covered when you defend the kick. As soon as I saw that your hands dropped to deal with the front kick I would begin to shut down that game, and I know I am not the only one out there that understands this concept.
    -Golden Arms-

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
    I wondered -after what Golden Arms said, how muay thai teaches to catch a front kick. I found this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA2BhNIudeg
    exactly the same method- one under, one over.
    I can find many examples of this 'bread and butter' catch and takedown being used successfully in Sanda competition, I didn't think it was a controversial technique
    All I did when we started competing MMA was to keep hold of the leg because it makes guard passing easier. If you see pro MMA- they will try to grab a leg of the downed opponent in order to pass, again- nothing controversial. All I did was to combine the two concepts and to teach them from the beginning as an MMA skill- rather than having a takedown, then try to pass as two distinct phases of the fight.
    Actually, one of my students applied this exact technique in 'real time' in the cage last night- unfortunately, I wasn't filming at the time, so you can believe me or not

I am not saying it doesnt work, I have actually used a variant of it myself in San Da/San Shou/Kou Shu. What I am saying is that I no longer use it because of my experiences with how it can be countered. If you do end up catching the leg it is a great technique, but if you don't the price for failure is too high for my taste.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Highly dependent on range!
    What isn't?

Thanks Rising Crane - that's precisely the kind of approach to innovating, sharing and critique that really helps develop technical knowledge. My old coach - who was a san da fighter in China - used to do this kind of thing all the time. This isn't my coach - but it's one variation that he used to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE03YfTVgAg