Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: "Monk begs for Rice" in MMA

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bedford, England.
    Posts
    59

    "Monk begs for Rice" in MMA

    I will be regularly putting some techniques on my Youtube channel to show functional kung fu. Here is an example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T2KD...DBAozA&index=1

    This is just for sharing and discussion- hope you enjoy!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,099
    Highly dependent on range!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,381
    maybe the title should read for MMA, because i was expecting to see the technique in an actual match lol

    Honestly as jamison said the distance is not realistic the kick would be thrown closer and you have a better change fo overhooking the kick as you move sideways as you do moving back and catching it like that it would probably take too long to actually work, and it doenst seem to give you enough control of his leg he can kick out, circle his legs out or at worset post his other leg on your hips and regain guard too easily

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,002
    I like the idea behind your Youtube channel, but this technique I don't agree with. For starters, anyone who is worth their salt when it comes to fighting in a format that uses kicks and punches is going to use the front kick to set up the front hand if they see your face is not covered when you defend the kick. As soon as I saw that your hands dropped to deal with the front kick I would begin to shut down that game, and I know I am not the only one out there that understands this concept.
    -Golden Arms-

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bedford, England.
    Posts
    59
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.
    I wondered -after what Golden Arms said, how muay thai teaches to catch a front kick. I found this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA2BhNIudeg
    exactly the same method- one under, one over.
    I can find many examples of this 'bread and butter' catch and takedown being used successfully in Sanda competition, I didn't think it was a controversial technique
    All I did when we started competing MMA was to keep hold of the leg because it makes guard passing easier. If you see pro MMA- they will try to grab a leg of the downed opponent in order to pass, again- nothing controversial. All I did was to combine the two concepts and to teach them from the beginning as an MMA skill- rather than having a takedown, then try to pass as two distinct phases of the fight.
    Actually, one of my students applied this exact technique in 'real time' in the cage last night- unfortunately, I wasn't filming at the time, so you can believe me or not

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Highly dependent on range!
    What isn't?

    Thanks Rising Crane - that's precisely the kind of approach to innovating, sharing and critique that really helps develop technical knowledge. My old coach - who was a san da fighter in China - used to do this kind of thing all the time. This isn't my coach - but it's one variation that he used to do:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE03YfTVgAg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,002
    I am not saying it doesnt work, I have actually used a variant of it myself in San Da/San Shou/Kou Shu. What I am saying is that I no longer use it because of my experiences with how it can be countered. If you do end up catching the leg it is a great technique, but if you don't the price for failure is too high for my taste.
    -Golden Arms-

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    379
    This video is a pretty good talking point for takedowns in action in san da - lots of variations here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBKJA4-fZbQ

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bedford, England.
    Posts
    59
    Golden arms- yes, I see your point.

    Miqi-thanks for your kind words. Yes, sanshou has some great kick catch takedowns!

    My interest is how to develop them into MMA. For example- Cung Li's leg scissors is not useful in MMA, but if you add the inverted heel hook to the technique, you can even submit Anderson Silva:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=267i7rKeECA
    So:
    Are you guys looking at the sanshou takedowns and working out how to add 'finishing' moves and if not, why not? Which passes/submissions/G&P are most useful from which takedowns? We should be experimenting with these in our sparring sessions and gradually evolving the art by sharing/exchange so that kung fu becomes relevant and functional.

  10. #10
    A: I am going to do this to you
    B: but when you do, I will counter with this
    A: but I can reverse your counter with this
    B: but then I will do THIS!

    This is the talk of those who are always in "theory"
    Reality is different than theory

    Exactly this technique already exists and is used in Muay Thai
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it is countered, but it is still practiced and seen

    I like your idea of context, to throw away and create distance or to draw in and close the distance, these are the important concepts in all fighting

    Good work, keep it up
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Good clip. Excellent job. If I use that technique, I would move my body back and "yield" a bit more in case the power is too much to handle.

    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    A: I am going to do this to you
    B: but when you do, I will counter with this
    A: but I can reverse your counter with this
    B: but then I will do THIS!
    This is why you may have to go 2 or 3 levels deep to fully explain a technique.

    I do A;
    If you respond with B Then I'll do A1;
    Else If you respond with C Then I'll do A2;
    Else If ...

    Your technique A should not be just a single technique but to set up for many techniques.

    There are some price that you have to pay in order to catch your opponent's kick. But the reward is great (If you no longer have to fight him stand up). It's easier to catch a roundhouse kick than to catch a side kick, It's also easier to catch a sider kick than to catch a front kick. This is why the front kick is the saftest to deliever (besides foot sweep) but the hardest to catch.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-29-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Posts
    7,716
    I think we all learned from grappling/bjj,* that ALL techniques have a counter.
    That does not negate their value,
    it's just the reality of fighting.









    *
    (yeah, yeah, I know, not just in grappling. ALL techniques have a counter.)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

    "I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

    ....step.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    ALL techniques have a counter.
    Sometime it's too late to counter. If you lift your opponent off the ground and above your shoulder, there isn't much that he can counter you.

    http://imageshack.us/a/img208/2400/singleleg.jpg

    http://imageshack.us/a/img838/2355/innerblock.jpg

    http://imageshack.us/a/img849/1605/embrace1.jpg

    http://imageshack.us/a/img824/764/scarry.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-29-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bedford, England.
    Posts
    59
    LKFMDC, thanks for the encouragement.
    I agree- when I teach a move in my kid's class they say "What if he does a somersault?", "what if he has a gun?" etc. etc.
    When I teach the technique in my fighter's class they are asking "How can I fit this into my game?"
    Very different mentality when people spar/practise realistically

    Youknowwho- yes, sir you have a deep understanding of martial art! The whole art is dealing with the opponent's reaction to your move and having a counter ready to his counter.

    TenTigers- If there was a technique that did not have a counter, I would just practise that technique and no other

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Posts
    3,274
    youknowwho....true...they have gained your center of gravity at that point....but the key to that is control from the clinch before that happens.

    my thoughts on technique....people always have the if they do this then I will do this...like ross stated its a lot different in context. (actual comp/fight) example...have you ever tried to counter a person with a good jab? someone that has used it and perfected it? same kind of thing, yes it can be countered yes its plausible, in context its a different animal. when someone is trying to take your head off with 100%. I'm not downing the technique and I have actual done it in sparring and not saying that it can't be done. I try to think of things in % to me there are to many dangers involved with trying to catch a kick coming full force. just my opinion.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •