Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best for self defense?

What is the best for self defense?

My midlife crisis is kicking in (no pun intended) and I want to learn self defense what is the best program? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Try to manage to land your fist on your opponent's face.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    My midlife crisis is kicking in (no pun intended) and I want to learn self defense what is the best program? Thanks.
    Buy a gun, learn to use it. That is the best program for self defense.

It's not an easy question to answer. Especially if you don't have prior training experience.

Assuming you're a newbie, look for stuff that is primarily hands-on. Muay Thai, Japanese Jujutsu, San Da, Shuai Jiao, Jeet Kune Do.

Escrima/Kali is awesome as well. Lots of hands-on weapons work, primarly with stick and knife.

Traditional Kung Fu is great too, but there is debate on its efficacy due to poor training practices these days (little hands-on time, imo).

Post what piques your interest and maybe some folks around here will be able to give you more information about that school.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    It's not an easy question to answer. Especially if you don't have prior training experience.

Assuming you're a newbie, look for stuff that is primarily hands-on. Muay Thai, Japanese Jujutsu, San Da, Shuai Jiao, Jeet Kune Do.

Escrima/Kali is awesome as well. Lots of hands-on weapons work, primarly with stick and knife.

Traditional Kung Fu is great too, but there is debate on its efficacy due to poor training practices these days (little hands-on time, imo).

Post what piques your interest and maybe some folks around here will be able to give you more information about that school.
    Thank you Kymus. Pique my interest well I always liked what I saw of Chinese Kung Fu but when I was young (15 - 21) there was no place in my area that I could find. So I just did bodybuilding instead and its been great for health, and feeling/ looking good, body awareness, mind body etc. Ive done that ever since and no regrets.

Lately when I started revisiting it, Im reading now is that its no good for self defense and when I go look on youtube for videos or anywhere not a single actual kung fu fight can be found except students holding there arm out.

Ive seen some vids that say kung fu and then when you click on them its just two guys swinging at each other or kickboxing, basic boxer stances shifting left to right dancing around etc. Some where there must be some vids of some street fight that went down between kung fu people.

Anyway, so thats why I checked out "KungFuMagazine.com" I figure, this is the place where kung fu people hang out.

Then I see the Shaoling guys in their orange robes and the breaking stunts they do, it just seems so gimicky. Not that I could ever even do that and their athletic ability is incredible. It seems fake. Id like to see someone chop a one inch oak board in half with any part of their body in a mythbusters setting. But I digress this is not realated to this post really just threw it in there.

I saw Wing Chun, that looked pretty good, short close in stuff, quick moves walk away fights over. Nothing flowery, seems pretty practical, can practice at home and with others. Then Joe Rogan says its no good and people waste their life on it. I guess he knows a thing or two he never seems to mince words, hes pretty smart and introspective got to give him some respect but he is an ass most of the time from what Ive seen doesnt affect his opinions though imo.

I can put the time in, about 6 hours a week id say, I dont want to get any joint injuries, think ACL tear and $$$. Im older now, joints dont have the elasticity they used to have. Muscle flexibility is good, can work up to splits both ways in 6 weeks or so, used to do it all the time. Joints - ie ligaments, not so much. Strength is very good, body awareness, body control all still good, ROM excellent from using full ROM in lifting. No major injuries ever. Im 6' about 210 at 15% bf. I dont mind pain as long as there is no major injuries. Im used to No pain no gain.

I dont want to carry a gun or have guns, think George Zimmerman. Ill just end up shooting myself or getting in jail for using it improperly, or get shot by someone else thinking Im the agressor. When you are dead you are dead (probably). Regarding that think , If he didnt have the gun I bet he wouldnt have followed the kid to see where he was going? Thats another convo.

"Internal styles" chi and all that. Well when I was 15 it was fun to think we could be superhuman and have all kinds of magic powers like kwai chang caine, even now it seems reasonable when watching kwai chang caine and we all hope there is something more to life than what you see with your eyes. As you get older you surrender to the realization that its fantasy, just make believe. Then 1% of you thinks, well maybe there is some truth to it. But everybody dies so whats the point in investing so much time in it. I supppose it can be argued that if you attain a high level of that you can someone leave your body (OBE) and exist some other way in Oneness with the universe but nobody can say, its a faith thing like every other faith system IMO. I could be wrong, hope I am.

Ive got more to say, but I doubt anyone cares so ill spare you all. If you think of anything that would help me from what Ive written it is appreciated.

I think the first step is to figure out what's near you. The Wah Lum Temple is in Florida; from what I know, that's a well respected place. Of course, Florida is a isn't a tiny state so..

The Kung Fu guys looking like sloppy kickboxers is a gripe many people have and it is subject to debate. Some feel that if you train properly, your art should show when you fight. Others feel that it's foolhardy to believe that it'll look like anything but kickboxing. You won't find many gems on youtube.

As for the monks, keep in mind that they're most likely part of a demo team. Shaolin isn't what it used to be anymore. Others on here know more about that than I do. But that aside, many Kung Fu styles practice stuff like Iron Fist/Iron Palm to develop more striking power. Grandmaster Pan Qing-Fu is a very famous example of this.

There will always be a debate over the efficacy of Traditional Martial Arts (TMA). Having experience in both the traditional and modern, I think it's more about how you train and how you're taught than the specific art in itself (save for certain McDojo's that teach some really stupid and impractical looking stuff..).

If you really want to do traditional Chinese martial arts (TCMA), considering everything you said, you may want a Southern Chinese style like Wing Chun, Southern Praying Mantis, Hung Gar, etc. etc. You may also like something like Bajiquan. These arts are less on the flowery-looking side. More power, more direct.

But all that doesn't matter much if it's not available near you. Find out what's near you first.

..also, don't take anyone on here too seriously. Think of this place as a bar in the wild west
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Buy a sports car, sleep with young women. Then Smoke wee-d and play video games about fighting. Watch Jack Reacher, Taken 1 & 2, and any new James Bond flick, Frost your hair, get an earring and a tattoo.

Then you're set. Crisis averted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    I think the first step is to figure out what's near you. The Wah Lum Temple is in Florida; from what I know, that's a well respected place. Of course, Florida is a isn't a tiny state so..

The Kung Fu guys looking like sloppy kickboxers is a gripe many people have and it is subject to debate. Some feel that if you train properly, your art should show when you fight. Others feel that it's foolhardy to believe that it'll look like anything but kickboxing. You won't find many gems on youtube.

As for the monks, keep in mind that they're most likely part of a demo team. Shaolin isn't what it used to be anymore. Others on here know more about that than I do. But that aside, many Kung Fu styles practice stuff like Iron Fist/Iron Palm to develop more striking power. Grandmaster Pan Qing-Fu is a very famous example of this.

There will always be a debate over the efficacy of Traditional Martial Arts (TMA). Having experience in both the traditional and modern, I think it's more about how you train and how you're taught than the specific art in itself (save for certain McDojo's that teach some really stupid and impractical looking stuff..).

If you really want to do traditional Chinese martial arts (TCMA), considering everything you said, you may want a Southern Chinese style like Wing Chun, Southern Praying Mantis, Hung Gar, etc. etc. You may also like something like Bajiquan. These arts are less on the flowery-looking side. More power, more direct.

But all that doesn't matter much if it's not available near you. Find out what's near you first.

..also, don't take anyone on here too seriously. Think of this place as a bar in the wild west
    tried to pm you I dont think it went through. How long must I be a member here before I can PM?

nah I got it. I'll get back to you later

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Buy a sports car, sleep with young women. Then Smoke wee-d and play video games about fighting. Watch Jack Reacher, Taken 1 & 2, and any new James Bond flick, Frost your hair, get an earring and a tattoo.

Then you're set. Crisis averted.

That worked for you?

imo the answer is any art that actually has a focus on self defense. there's a wide variety of scenarios and situations that must be addressed for an art to be a self defense art, and more than just a fighting art, imo.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

That worked for you?
    mostly - but with what you're describing, I don't think you're looking for kung fu or at least what you're looking for will be impossible to find.

Kung Fu's personal, good teachers rarely exist and some get lost between the balance of martial and money.

All legitimate kung fu is good, it's very good - the quality of training varies. And then the teacher is only going to show you so much - the rest is up to you. It's not easy, it's not a quick fix, it's confusing, it's frustrating, it's enlightening. You can train 10yrs and find it doesn't work, then on the 11th it does because you've had a simple perspective change.

Do you have the mental aptitude for that type of commitment?

A word of warning about kung fu

When 100 people are training kung fu... 1 person might understand and comprehend enough to apply it. The rest sit around and whine about the teaching process.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    When 100 people are training kung fu... 1 person might understand and comprehend enough to apply it. The rest sit around and whine about the teaching process.
    So very true.

you looking for a school and style? ir how to train with the kung fu you are learning now?