Thread: Handstand Kick in Secret Gate Mantis

Handstand Kick in Secret Gate Mantis

Can anyone tell me about this technique?

I'm told it's called a handstand kick. You'll see it here in this video of Master Su Yu-Chang

When googling, the closest thing I could find was this, but that seems to be a different technique.

Is it in any way related to this technique found on Master Su's website?
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

kick

if i remember correctly, that was like a signature move for Master Su, it was added to the form and not part of the original form.

Quote Originally Posted by 18elders View Post
    if i remember correctly, that was like a signature move for Master Su, it was added to the form and not part of the original form.
    That is correct!

In the 1964 video of Master Su performing in Taiwan, he has already added this technique into his performance of Lanjie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5XMIQrvinM
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Thank you very much for the info, guys! I was not expecting to heart that this was solely Master Su's technique.

A few questions then..

Is anyone readily familiar with this technique? Is it the same as in the e-how video I linked to and the picture from Master Su's website?
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Greetings Kymus,

The inside crescent kick that GM Su does is not unique to him. It exists in the art of Di Gong, aka Di Tang-- China's groundfighting method. You can see it at 1:14 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6_2KlIWX2E

The upside down side kick that you show in the photo I have not seen elsewhere. One can say it is a variation of a cartwheel kick or a variation of a dropping side kick. The real question is not so much it's origin; it is whether it is effective. It must have worked for Gm Su at some point.

mickey

Very interesting, thanks for the reply, Mickey!

For your information,

Watch the 2:40 mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZsZTLRY_4Y

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    For your information,

Watch the 2:40 mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZsZTLRY_4Y
    Thanks for that MightyB! I remember Tim Cartmell going over this at this Xingyi Ground Dragon seminar!

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    Can anyone tell me about this technique?

I'm told it's called a handstand kick. You'll see it here in this video of Master Su Yu-Chang
    It is from Liang Xuexiang's 7th Zhai Yao. Su learned it from Zhang Dekui when he was younger.

The second picture you posted of Su doing a side kick straight into the air is from Ba Bu tang Lang, I think the 4th zhai yao.

Mickey also posted a relevant vid. That from is called White Horse Descends the Mountain.
    These forms were supposedly all from a place called Shui Kou. In Old Mantis it includes the form Ba Fang, which I noticed Xiao Yao has done a good job with when I was last in China.

Other forms of this style were also Taught by Gao Daosheng. This is a common kick to most of these forms.

It is the traditinal Di Gong style.