Thread: mantis documentary comparing taiwan and mainland

mantis documentary comparing taiwan and mainland

http://www.monkeystealspeach.co.uk/m...ocumentary.php

I think I remember someobody on this forum saying they trained with the Taiwan master on this - Yang Feng Shi. Was it you Richard?

Quote Originally Posted by xiao yao View Post

I think I remember someobody on this forum saying they trained with the Taiwan master on this - Yang Feng Shi. Was it you Richard?
    Yang Xiaodong is my shifu.

Thanks for linking this! Can't wait to watch it!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

looking forward to this, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

After watching the video, I would say that the gentleman from Taiwan practices a much more traditional method than the man from the Mainland.

Though the man from the Mainland seemed to claim Hao family lineage, his movements were definitely influenced by the Yu Hai flavor of mantis. Which is very different from the Hao family mantis that I studied in Qingdao.

The gentleman from Taiwan only gives credit to Li Kunshan for bringing mantis to Taiwan. Though I believe other mantis practitioners preceded Master Li's arrival in Taiwan. So, take his history with a measure of salt.

Thank you for sharing this with us Will! It was a very interesting program. Is it available for download?
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries

If 2,3 is faster than 1,2,3 then do you think the 1,2,3 combo used at 26.10 can be simplified as 2,3 by skipping step 1?

Of course you may have to take more risk because your back hand is away from your opponent's attacking arm (compare to your leading arm). It's always safter to intersect your opponent's attack by your leading arm (because it's closer) than your back arm. But the speed increase can be great.

I used to like the 1,2,3 combo, lately, I like more and more just the 2,3 combo (skip 1). If I initial the attack, to use step 1 may give my opponent an early warning (less surprise). If I only use step 2 for arm contact, I can give my opponent much more surprise (1 touch and hit vs. 2 touches and hit). So 1,2,3 may make sense in defense. For offense, 2,3 is better than 1,2,3 IMO.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-01-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

At first I was like "aww man; I barely speak any Chinese to understand this" then I was "oh man, subtitles! Woohoo!"

if anyone wants to hold on to this video, there's an extension in Firefox calld Flash Video Downloader that makes it real easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Well the Taiwan guy definitely looks the more traditional, Im sure they could have got a better representative of mainland tanglang than someone doing Yu Hai's mantis.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    What do you guys think?
    Your 1-2-3 will be too slow if you can count separate touches and hits. You can't even talk about offense vs. defense at this stage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Your 1-2-3 will be too slow if you can count separate touches and hits. You can't even talk about offense vs. defense at this stage.
    That's my concern. No matter how fast the 1,2,3 may be, it's still not fast enough. I used to like the "leading arm back fist" contact. Now I like the "back arm parry" contact instead.

It's interest that the 1st move of the Bon Bu form is a back hand parry, leading hand punch (1,2), but most of the PM combos are 1,2,3.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-01-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    That's my concern. No matter how fast the 1,2,3 may be, it's still not fast enough. I used to like the "leading arm back fist" contact. Now I like the "back arm parry" contact instead.

It's interest that the 1st move of the Bon Bu form is a back hand parry, leading hand punch (1,2), but most of the PM combos are 1,2,3.
    We have different views on this.

It's easier to see in person. If you are ever in the Bay Area, you should come by to work out.
    Last edited by -N-; 06-01-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao yao View Post
    Yang Fengshi is my Shibo. I have spent time with him. Mostly he teaches Taiji. But he did study with Li Kanshan's son. He taught me Li Kunshan's Tang Lang Ba Duan Jin.