Thread: Kicking Techniques in MMA

Kicking Techniques in MMA

A decade ago front and round kicks were almost exclusively the only kicks used in pro MMA. We were told the other kicking techniques were too weak/impractical/low percentage to use.

I think now it's safe to say that this old theory has been laid to rest. In recent years we are seeing techniques such as: side thrust kick, shovel kick, (low side kick,) cross kick, spinning back kick, spinning hook kick and jumping front kick, being used with increasing success and regularity.

Most of these are moves are TCMA staples, by the by....

So for reason of discussion, what kicks, if any, do you think will be next to obtain acceptance in high level MMA? I think lead leg hook kick and outside crescent kick are the most likely "new" kicking techniques to be added into the MMA arsenal.

I really hope to see someone come up who can effectively apply spinning back sweep, time will tell.

Agree, disagree?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    The spin back sweep will never be popular even if it's just a low spin hook kick. How hard can it be to lift your leg and let that sweep to pass under your foot?

If we include "foot sweep" as kick, I think it will be popular in MMA someday.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE1
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-02-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

The spin back sweep will never be popular even if it's just a low spin hook kick. How hard can it be to lift your leg and let that sweep to pass under your foot?

If we include "foot sweep" as kick, I think it will be popular in MMA someday.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE1
    It's really the same concept as low round kick, if weight is on the back leg, (as in a traditional MT stance,) it is difficult to kick the lead leg, since your opponent can quickly and easily lift his foot to check it. If the weight is on the front leg, like a western wrestler, it is much simpler to kick the lead leg and harder for your opponent to lift his foot in time to check/avoid.

I wait until I see the weight shift to the lead leg before I throw low round kick. The sweep requires the same timing.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

The problem with spinning that way is that if you don't drive through that leg, planted or not, you are left in a VERY vulnerable position. For strikes or grappling. You would almost be giving your back.

MMA is mostly high percentage maneuvers. I just don't see this one being used so much. Not that it can't work. But who knows, the game is always evolving in interesting ways as it adapts old techniques and re-applies them in the mma context..

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post

MMA is mostly high percentage maneuvers. I just don't see this one being used so much.
    I don't ever expect it to be common...I'd just like to see it work in the big leagues....I've used successfully in sparring, (very rarely, and with a premeditated set up.) I've used it unsuccessfully many times, to my surprise I have never had anyone take my back and only once would have ate a kick. I think it's such an unexpected technique that it just throws people off for a split second, giving you time to complete the spin and be back on your feet.

Now, eating a knee or a kick are really my only concerns that keep me from letting the technique loose. Granted, those are pretty big concerns...

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I don't ever expect it to be common...I'd just like to see it work in the big leagues....I've used successfully in sparring, (very rarely, and with a premeditated set up.) I've used it unsuccessfully many times, to my surprise I have never had anyone take my back and only once would have ate a kick. I think it's such an unexpected technique that it just throws people off for a split second, giving you time to complete the spin and be back on your feet.

Now, eating a knee or a kick are really my only concerns that keep me from letting the technique loose. Granted, those are pretty big concerns...
    Yeah, it just seems like a high risk in that context. Maybe if you KNEW you would be able to follow through. But then if you have that much of an advantage, why toy with them. Ya know. I hear ya tho, it mos def looks cool. A throwback to the 80's whiteboy ninja movies.

I had a friend/sparring partner who excelled at both the back and forward spinning leg sweeps. He knew how to set them up, get you to step back just a bit, then catch you. He caught a lot of people with it, and got me once or twice. He was tall, with long legs, was fast, and always fought in combinations.

That said, I never felt comfortable with trying to use low sweeps, even though I was able to do them technically well. Part of it was psychological. I saw another guy who was enamored with the move try it on someone, and the other guy jumped (straight) up, and awkwardly landed on the sweeper's extended knee. Luckily it wasn't serious, but he was hurting. The vulnerability of the sweeper's knee is my main issue with it.

Blog Entries
    The problem of the "forward spinning leg sweeps" is it just doesn't make logical sense. Do you try to hurt your opponent's leg, or do you try to take your opponent down? If you want to

- hurt your opponent's leg, the low roundhouse kick will be better.
    - take your opponent down, the regular foot sweep (sweep leg, pull shoulder) will be better too.

All take downs will require 2 points contact by using 2 different forces in different directions. The 1 point contact "forward spinning leg sweeps" just doesn't make much sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WXKD...ature=youtu.be
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I had a friend/sparring partner who excelled at both the back and forward spinning leg sweeps. He knew how to set them up, get you to step back just a bit, then catch you. He caught a lot of people with it, and got me once or twice. He was tall, with long legs, was fast, and always fought in combinations.
    It's definitely all in the set up, you really need to plan it a move or two in advance...which of course makes it less appealing...and handy...

The problem of the "forward spinning leg sweeps" is it just doesn't make logical sense. Do you try to hurt your opponent's leg, or do you try to take your opponent down? If you want to

- hurt your opponent's leg, the low roundhouse kick will be better.
    - take your opponent down, the regular foot sweep (sweep leg, pull shoulder) will be better too.

All take downs will require 2 points contact by using 2 different forces in different directions. The 1 point contact "forward spinning leg sweeps" just doesn't make much sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WXKD...ature=youtu.be
    I always felt low spinning front sweep to be weak. I think it could be made useful, but you would probably have to spend a lot of time conditioning it. Spinning back sweep is stronger than spinning front sweep, but it still needs to be conditioned on a heavy bag/pole/tree or what have you.