Thread: Would Tai Chi Chuan be considered Kung Fu?

Would Tai Chi Chuan be considered Kung Fu?

I know its a martial art but could it be considered Kung Fu and I dont mean kung fu like guitar playing and ping pong can be kung fu.

Yes, why wouldn't it be?
    "He who say's does not know, he who knows does not say"

"True Gong Fu is practicing in the coldest days of winter and the dog days of summer"

"Don't try, do"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackEChan View Post
    Yes, why wouldn't it be?
    What percentage of kung fu people would agree?

Generally, based on my understanding (which admittedly pales in comparison to many that post here) kung fu, when referring to martial arts, is a blanket term that covers all of the traditional Chinese martial arts. Tai Chi, while a soft style, is without a doubt of Chinese origin and so would fall under the kung fu umbrella.

Sometimes on here I see Kung Fu Tai Chi like its two different things. Like Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine, and then theres Kung Fu Magazine. Then i saw Kung Fu Tai Chi Day which means to me Kung Fu & Tai Chi day. Thats why it occurred to me and I asked myself and considered that Tai Chi may not actually be Kung Fu.

Kungfubar,
    Taijiquan is a profound and wonderful form of Chinese martial arts, which can otherwise be known in general terms as "kung fu" or "wushu".

However, there are a few different formal divisions in the taijiquan world - a few different styles and approaches.

In reality, no martial art exists outside of its practioners, and practitioners of course can vary greatly in their level and insight.

Wang Hai Jun is an example of someone who I would class as elite taiji level - and he is highly focused on taiji as "kung fu" in the way westerners mean "kung fu" - i.e. Chinese martial art for fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIhiA4UxNQg

However, where elite taiji stands in the world at the moment is another question. I honestly don't know - and no one does, unless one has seen a - genuinely - elite taiji person fight an MMA fighter of similar standing. I haven't.

99% of taiji masters do something which actually has no common ground with taiji, however. I'd say "in my view", but truth is truth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    Then i saw Kung Fu Tai Chi Day which means to me Kung Fu & Tai Chi day.
    Some people with

- only the "local" view (such as Taiji guys) may only care about their own style and can't care less about other styles.
    - the "global" view (such as Kung Fu guys) care about TCMA in general and not any particular style.

Some peolpe only care about what their style can do. Others care about what they can do. That's the difference.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-03-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument