Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the Shaolin Monks still tour?

Do the Shaolin Monks still tour?

Does anyone know if the Shaolin Monk performance team still does tours in the US? If not, how about the Beijing Wushu team? If the monks still tour, how does one find information about their performances or go about booking a show?

Thanks in advance,

The B.

On that 'Dog the Bounty Hunter' show they went to see them perform. So I would guess they still do. I'm not into CMA at all, but they did some cool things.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

well i am going to one in november at the university of amherst in massachusetts. are they monks? i dont know, i', just gonna go watch them perform their usual stuff and probably be bored with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

While I was in Henan this summer, I ate out a few times with their lead coach, he is a friend of a friend. He is a fantastic sanshou fighter, and he seems to expect all those under him to be the same, so regardless of what one thinks of their forms, I'd think twice before messing with his guys.

Actually, I never once met a martial artist under fifty there who didn't do sanshou.

Shaolin monks still tour....

...both officially and unofficially. See our Shaolin Shows near SF thread for more details. As for the BWT, they tour too when they can find sponsors. I think the last time they were in our area was the Flint Center show in Cupertino, November 2005. See Beijing Wushu Team 2005 Photo by Kevin Ho in our 2006 March/April issue.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

sopposely some tour group is coming to houston end of october too so yeah i guess they do...
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Yes the monks still tour. I just recently went to Tennessee with my master and Shi Yan Feng to visit with a group of their brothers who were performing a show there. Another group is touring also and will be in San Anotonio, Tx on Oct. 24th and Houston on the 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    Yes the monks still tour. I just recently went to Tennessee with my master and Shi Yan Feng to visit with a group of their brothers who were performing a show there. Another group is touring also and will be in San Anotonio, Tx on Oct. 24th and Houston on the 27th.
    if i rem correctly...you said that tour group in tennessee will be there till the end of the october..and another group is coming to houston around the end of october...would dis be the same group?
    or a totally different group?
    so there will be TWO DIFFERENT SHAOLIN GROUP in america at the SAME TIME??...wow....

on the tour you just came back from...were they actual monks? or just wushu people that practice shaolin??
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Quote Originally Posted by Pk_StyLeZ View Post
    if i rem correctly...you said that tour group in tennessee will be there till the end of the october..and another group is coming to houston around the end of october...would dis be the same group?
    or a totally different group?
    so there will be TWO DIFFERENT SHAOLIN GROUP in america at the SAME TIME??...wow....

on the tour you just came back from...were they actual monks? or just wushu people that practice shaolin??

The group in Tennessee will be there till the end of November. The other group is not the same but a different group. The group from Tennessee were actual monks. Monks that my master and Shi Yan Feng had grown up with. It was quite touching to see them reunite, how close they were to each other. Master Shi Yan Feng was quite surprised to learn that when he left Shaolin Temple he was taller than his brothers but now they are all taller than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    The group in Tennessee will be there till the end of November. The other group is not the same but a different group. The group from Tennessee were actual monks. Monks that my master and Shi Yan Feng had grown up with. It was quite touching to see them reunite, how close they were to each other. Master Shi Yan Feng was quite surprised to learn that when he left Shaolin Temple he was taller than his brothers but now they are all taller than he is.
    wth is that group doing over there and not here in houston!

Quote Originally Posted by Pk_StyLeZ View Post
    wth is that group doing over there and not here in houston!

Ya know I was asking myself that very same question. As I posted on another thread, Sevierville Tn was the strangest place I have ever been. It is a tourist trap. That area which includes Gatlinburg, and Pigeon Forge is full of a bunch of dinner theaters where you can catch all of these different variety shows. However, the shows were all of the "Hee Haw" variety. Dolly Parton I believe is from Pigeon Forge and she has built herself a Hillbilly amusement park called Dollywood. It was somewhat like a country Las Vegas without the hot women and gambling. It was however, quite beautiful being in the Smokey Mountains and we were real close to the main entrance to the Smokey Mountain National Park. I wanted to take the monks hiking up into the forest but time and circumstances didn't permit. They had lost time to catch up on with each other. We did take them to eat "American Food" which was amusing because they did not know how to use the utensils. I tried to show them but my master stopped me, he thought it was funny too and he told me not to, to let them figure it out for themselves. I spent the whole time wondering and hoping that they didn't think the rest of the U.S. was like that. I was reassured by Shi Yan Feng that alot of them had already been on other tours to the U.S. and other countries.

I felt sorry for them that they were stuck in a rut. They were not getting out to see/do anything, only going back and forth from the house they were staying at to the theater, and to eat at a chinese restraunt. The promotor of the tour was asking us lots of questions about Houston and if we thought the performance would do well if they toured it around the U.S. He also wanted to know if there were other places in the U.S. like that...maybe Branson, Mo. My response to him was to tour it in the bigger cities. He seemed to want to go to a place and perform the play for a month or so before moving on to another. I am not quite sure why he wanted to do that, I would think that after about two weeks the show would be played out. They are going back to China in November and they may come back next year and tour the show. I hope they do, I never get tired of watching the incredible martial arts that they perform.

I don't think that they were making too much money there. The tourists we saw seemed to be older people and they weren't even close to filling the theater.

The truth

Well to be honest with you...I don't think the Shaolin shows do well anymore at all here in the USA. You seen one you seen them all. I can't really imagine what a "sponsor" has to pay for a school from shaolin to come here and dow a tour. I am willing to guess that the sponsor loses a lot of money when doing these type of ventures. The "shaolin craze" is filtering out now as we seem to read about negative happenings to some of the shaolin monks and some of its students. The last two shaolin shows I went to watch were not all that very impressive. It's the same thing over and over. As a matter of fact, one show was trying to copy stuff from the "Wheel of life tour". I remember sitting near two guys that were trying to think how they could get back stage and convince a monk to defect, stay and teach. LOL. I just thought myself.....stop the madness.

They still do well

They don't do as well as they did in the late 90's, but there are still plenty of Shaolin shows and they still sell out. Just look at our forum here - Shaolin Warriors are touring the US right now. That's the show coming to the Marin Vets here and to Houston. There have been Shaolin groups touring America consistently for the last decade. It has died down for sure, but they still sell, so they still come. I don't see it declining much more that the Gyuto monks or the Dancing Sufis.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I just heard about the Monterey show

Shaolin Warriors just sold out the Golden State Theater with minimal advertising. I hear this tour is selling out everywhere. We'll see how it does in Houston.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips