Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Juan Carlos Aguilar: Shaolin gym owner arrested for torture and murder

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    they like more western things, like cheating on your wife and doing heroin.
    We do have other pastimes you know...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Are you trying to impress people by admitting you have to go to Asia to meet chicks?
    yes right

but..

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    maybe 1 in 10,000 adult men in china have even the slightest interest in kung fu.
    Given the population of China in 2011: 1,344,000,000; 1 out of 10,000 would mean that only 134,400 adults are interested in Kung Fu. If just 1 school can hold 30,000 students, 134,400 seems a bit low. Nonetheless it's quite a high number of practitioners.

don't be a ffffing geek, the point is nobody cares about kung fu in china. and it is the foreign students, that will keep this art alive in the future, cause for the most part china has turned it's back on kung fu, and people are discouraged from learning it. men in china play games like badminton, the most nonthreatening sport on earth, you think that is a coincidence
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 06-08-2013 at 03:00 AM.

@Wiz

You really can't make such generalizations. It's ignorant of you. Badminton is perhaps what you see outside your apartment window. You'd see more if you went outside and looked for it. You're imagining the worst.

I see kung fu being trained by Chinese every day, and the large center down the street that offers various styles is all Chinese. There is also a large number of practitioners that are non-commercial and don't train openly.

What I'd like to know is where all the foreign saviors of kung fu are?

where do you live,what is the name of that center,i'm curious. and if you live in china and don't know that badminton is a popular pastime for men,then you must be living a sheltered life there.

I know you see badminton. I'm saying you'd see more if you went out. Obviously my life here is not as sheltered as yours. I live in Shanghai by the way, and the place is here: http://www.chinesekungfu.com.cn They have every style of Taijiquan, Shaolin, Xinyi Liuhequan, Baguazhang, Wing Chun, Sanda, etc.. It's a rather large place, but I don't know of any foreigners who train there. In fact, I rarely see foreigners out in this area anyway.

Thumbs up

ok good for you.

kung fu is not about how many students you have. your manliness is about not how many loose women you bang.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    maybe 1 in 10,000 adult men in china have even the slightest interest in kung fu.
    That's more than in my area. In the 3 county area, there's about 250,000 people and 0 TCMA schools. The only Chinese based school I know of is a JKD school in a church basement....If you want to do TCMA you have to travel...I think less than 1 in 10,000 train Kung Fu here.....
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    I know you see badminton. I'm saying you'd see more if you went out. Obviously my life here is not as sheltered as yours. I live in Shanghai by the way, and the place is here: http://www.chinesekungfu.com.cn They have every style of Taijiquan, Shaolin, Xinyi Liuhequan, Baguazhang, Wing Chun, Sanda, etc.. It's a rather large place, but I don't know of any foreigners who train there. In fact, I rarely see foreigners out in this area anyway.
    This is like the stereotypical argument between a married couple, with wiz cool c as the wife.

He makes unwarranted generalizations, commits logical fallacies, and frames conclusions in the form of absolutes rather than probabilities. He's not actually thinking, just expressing emotions. (probably some form of frustration, by the sound of it)

The right thing for the husband to do is listen to the cry behind the words, be comforting, and not point out the errors.

Here's the website of the Chinese Wushu Association. Anyone able to read Chinese who can find figures on number of chapters/members within the organization?

http://www.wushu.com.cn/

Wink

went to a sanda class today. mixed age class, one adult male student. so yeah kung fu is thriving in china.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    ah doesn't surprise me. The MA scene has always had its share of wacko's especially those who thought they were shaolin monks.

Thats what you get when you indoctrinate foreigners into the Shaolin Temple merely for $$$$. Hell most if not all the MA monks are not even Full Monks.

So lets see how many incidents have happened out there.

1. Monk hang's himself in Shi Guo Lin's school

2. Shi Yan Ming isn't really a monk as he has a wife and kids both in China and the USA. Now he runs a cult temple

bet there are many more
    eh...I get what you are saying but it's kind of absurd to make that much of a blanket accusation. I know you singled out Shaolin but I have read and seen countless stories of martial arts instructors being arrested for all sorts of assaults to improper relationships with students. Foreign and domestic.

Either way I understand how Gene feels. I have experienced something similar when you think you know someone you really don't know who they are. Tragic indeed.

Songshan

Shaolin Temple was 1st and foremost a Buddhist Religous Temple.

Sure they've accepted lay disciples at times but nothing like the commercial aspect of it today.

I would guess that 90% of their activities is the propogation of martial arts.

As such they don't follow typical regulations that put individiuals in a laymen's position for quite some time not unlike a "Prospect" who wants membership in a MC.

Usually there is a trial period before an individual is ordained some of the regulations are:

"The Ten Precepts upheld by śrāmaṇeras are:

Refrain from killing living things.
    Refrain from stealing.
    Refrain from unchastity (sensuality, sexuality, lust).
    Refrain from lying.
    Refrain from taking intoxicants.
    Refrain from taking food at inappropriate times (after noon).
    Refrain from singing, dancing, playing music or attending entertainment programs (performances).
    Refrain from wearing perfume, cosmetics and garland (decorative accessories).
    Refrain from sitting on high chairs and sleeping on luxurious, soft beds.
    Refrain from accepting money."

I would make the assumption that they would have to be Buddhist just to qualify.

My issue is the commercialization and the bad seeds that come from it and yes there is alot of it going on in the martial arts in general.
    Last edited by ngokfei; 06-23-2013 at 09:56 PM.