Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Boxing before 1780

Shaolin Boxing before 1780

Hi everyone,
    in a bigger German Martial Arts Forum there is a guy who is
    continuously repeating the same mantra "There was no Shaolin Boxing before 1780"
    and all that stuff.
    After reading it again and again I am getting a bit annoyed of it. I have read a lot of stuff here since I have registered here in 2010.
    And nothing of it gave me the impression that I should doubt that there was Shaolin Boxing before 1780.

So I want to ask you, whats about that ?Who makes such claims ?Also he said that Taizu Chang Quan was created by Qi Jiguang and he himself should have said that..

Best regards,
    Xian

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post

So I want to ask you, whats about that ?Who makes such claims ?Also he said that Taizu Chang Quan was created by Qi Jiguang and he himself should have said that..

Best regards,
    Xian
    he is talking out of his ass.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Hi everyone,
    in a bigger German Martial Arts Forum there is a guy who is
    continuously repeating the same mantra "There was no Shaolin Boxing before 1780"
    and all that stuff.
    After reading it again and again I am getting a bit annoyed of it. I have read a lot of stuff here since I have registered here in 2010.
    And nothing of it gave me the impression that I should doubt that there was Shaolin Boxing before 1780.

Best regards,
    Xian
    Whoever makes such claims is someone who has an alterier motive (usually to promote their school over Shaolin) who has not spent much time in the area if any, does not understand the nature of training and has not made an extensive enough study of the history.

I have personally visited villages in Song Mountain that absorbed Shaolin forms in 1641 after shaolin monks fled their because of a massacre at the temple. These forms are remarkably similar to their current versions, yet more primitive and at the same time more profound. Similarly I have been to villages that absorbed shaolin tradition even earlier, where the techniques are still the same.

Since he mentions Qi, Lets look at Qi JiGuang (16th century):

"...the fist, quarterstaff, knife, spear, woman's hairpin, rake, double-edged sword, halberd,
    bow and arrow, barb, sickle, beating shield, etc.--none doesn't first use fist methods to exercise the body and hands. These very fist techniques constitute the source of martial skill."

Shows that even the weapons schools use fist techniques as their basic practice. Qi himself says 'NONE does not first use fist methods...' as in ALL schools of these weapons also use the fist methods form practice. Earlier in the text he alludes to using the same weapons techniques but with the fist. Also we know from weapons techniques that a lot of kicks and fists are present within weapons practice and capturing the opponents weapon is important. It is ludicrous to assume that one would practice weapons without also practicing these techniques in isolation.

To QUote Qi JiGuang further:

"Looking at Master Wen in the present day, we have the 72 moving fist methods, the 36 combining and locking
    techniques, the 24 counter-spy techniques, 6 9 the 8 flash flips, and the 12 short strikes. These are the best of the lot. As for Lu Hong's 8 blows, while they are firm, they do not measure up to Min Zhang's short strike. The leg techniques of Shangdong's Li Bantian, Eagle Claw Wang's grappling methods, Thousand Stumble Zhang's stumbling techniques, Zhang Bojing's strikes, the Shaolin monastery stick fighting art, together with the Green Field cudgel methods, all stand as equals. Mr. Yang's spear arts together with the open hand, fist, and quarterstaff skills, are all famous to the present day."

THis is in the FIST fighting section of the manual. Yet he notes Shaolin here. Also he puts it along side other fist methods even though he calles it stick, Why? For one he has already confirmed the existence of the Shaolin stick method (prior to 1780) and confirmed that no one practices stick without also practicing fist, but also even though the whole manual is largely about weapons he chooses to put the shaolin method in the section all about fists. This implies heavily that although called Shaolin stick it is the umbrella term for Shaolins MA. It is not uncommon even today to refer to Shaolin MA as 'Shaolin Gun' and Wudang MA as 'Wudang Jian'.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 06-05-2013 at 05:31 AM.

taizu changquan is at least 700+ years old. in 1550s it was already called "ancient". shaolin boxing is 500+ years old.

from Q&A of Shaolin staff fighting manual in 1560s:

"Q: I hear shaolin temple is famous for its staff, so why do I always hear so much about shaolin boxing?"

"A: boxing is a new phenomenon in the world. We keep up with our peers and train what is lacking."
    Last edited by bawang; 06-05-2013 at 05:55 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Taizuquan is of ambiguous origins

I tackled the origins of Taizuquan in our Shaolin Special 2013 which just came off the newsstands. Read The Long Fist of the Emperor.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

He's wrong and there is loads of information to show him so.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    He's wrong and there is loads of information to show him so.
    well, SOME PEOPLE won't change their statements no matter how much counter information you present them with
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Maybe he means there is no Shaolin Boxing after 1780.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    well, SOME PEOPLE won't change their statements no matter how much counter information you present them with

"Maybe he means there is no Shaolin Boxing after 1780."

I was just thinking this myself...

Maybe he means there is no "Real" Shaolin Boxing in modern times compared to the Modern Wushu Gymnastics version of "Shoalin" .....

That would make more sense
    Supporter: The Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.OzMAForums.com

That still wouldn't make any sense if he'd ever actually been to the area to see what is around. It can't be denied. I've said it before, real research can't be done from afar just reading stuff online. That's a big joke.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    real research
    That's very funny.

Why is that?

Let's ponder some shaolin kung fu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f8zb_QKZEo
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Have that guy ponder some of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTfHdu2EiWA

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Also, they don't like to follow up when they've been shown to be wrong.
    I don't know why people do that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.