Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Boxing before 1780

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    but the beauty of it all is that he is so wise that he knows this and still lets me kick it. thats how wise he really is!
    My sifu, called The Ancient One taught us,

"The only one wiser than the wise is a wiseacre!"

He was a very wise-acre!

ya he always beats me at street fighter too. hes really good with ryu
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

@Matthew

Thanks for outlining the arguments with such clarity and logic.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    You have a short memory. We have had this discussion before.

I explained the deeply embedded culture in Song mountian and the many village styles. I went to this specific village as I said above. I have actually learned these forms. I made copies of the old poems written about them.

There is no point in discussion with you. I already did it before, I made my points clear, you simply insulted me. It was not a profitable argument, then you deleted the entire thread.
    david ross has a point.

the xiaohongquan in the neighboring villages is just regular xiaohongquan. it looks just like typical hongquan from every other province. so what makes it "shaolin"?

the main weapon of shaolin monks in 1928 was the german mauser rifle. so what is "traditional shaolin"?
    Last edited by bawang; 06-10-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    david ross isn't saying the kung fu itself isn't legit, hes saying there no such thing as shaolin style.
    Where is the edge of a thing? Under scrutiny all things lose their outline, even the fundamental particles of nature. Quite so. If I am to analyse the technique across all styles of Kung Fu, from Wudang to Shaolin to E'Mei to Wutai, I will find the vast majority of the techniques identical. Abstract from form to application and many MA of the world have largely identical techniques.

There is a lot of overlap.

And sometimes it is useful to think in this way.

But sometimes we have to impose a border to help us contemplate. In this case, the border is imposed by a map of Song Mountain and the Kung Fu within.

but my xiaohongquan is special
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Where is the edge of a thing? Under scrutiny all things lose their outline, even the fundamental particles of nature. Quite so. If I am to analyse the technique across all styles of Kung Fu, from Wudang to Shaolin to E'Mei to Wutai, I will find the vast majority of the techniques identical. Abstract from form to application and many MA of the world have largely identical techniques.

There is a lot of overlap.

And sometimes it is useful to think in this way.

But sometimes we have to impose a border to help us contemplate. In this case, the border is imposed by a map of Song Mountain and the Kung Fu within.
    - the neighboring village train generic style hongquan and changquan.

-shaolin documents admit to learning generic long fist from outside during 1500s

- shaolin people after 1986 were known to travel around china "buying" forms and manuals.

- modern songshan shaolin system is missing the fundamental beginner forms: four gates, 8 hits, 13, 36, etc.

-traditional jibengong missing (5 elements) instead taught using modern wushu methods (mabu, gongbu, etc)

- staff forms from the well known 500 year old shaolin staff manual is nowhere found in shaolin temple.

-famous treasured staff technique from general yu not found

- shaolin musket tradition missing

-archery tradition missing

-cavalry tradition missing

- wagon (siege) tradition missing

- formation and squad tactics tradition missing

-traditional sparring equipment missing

-republic era modernization tradition missing (bolt action rifles)
    Last edited by bawang; 06-10-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

In this case I have better qualifications than just about anyone else who speaks native English. I spent 7 years in Song Shan and I have seen hundreds of its forms. I know many.
    These are really the only methods we can use to analyse it. Short of carbon dating the QuanPu, but thats not gonna happen anytime soon. Much of history relies on informed conjecture, and in this case, I am informed.
    You can't read Chinese; modern, literary, classical or otherwise. If anything that is the first qualification for the careful study of martial arts history. Being a martial arts student is not by any measure a qualification for historical investigation. It only belies your extreme bias and tendency towards myth and folklore.

But the idea is that because it is preserved in the village, it would have changed less over the last 500 years than the version at Shaolin Temple. Why? Because Shaolin had people who spent all their time practicing where as in the village it is just a hobby. The monks would have been more confident to modify the techniques than the farmers.
    The fact that you don't recognize this for the wildly speculative supposition that it is is alarming.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    The fact that you don't recognize this for the wildly speculative supposition that it is is alarming.
    It is a reasonable supposition. Shaolin temple forms are in a constant state of flux, the temple being the epicentre of all the surrounding village styles. They were always under influence also from new people from other parts of China.

The Village on the other hand is isolated. People don't tend to move to these places, they progress on their own.

The phenomenon of tradition surviving in isolated villages longer than in busy areas is not a wild idea.

I speak Chinese, so If I have a dictionary I can read it slowly. I just can't read it in realtime. But I have people who can read to me and I often talk to people, the actual people in the actual place. This is more valuable than you give it credit for.

Am I the only one who finds it funny that the entire argument here is supposition?

well, seems like wenshu is geting it...

but the rest?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I have a dictionary
    yup, he just can't see how funny the whole thing is....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Look guys, i just need all of you to chill out, and then admit that my shaolin is special.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Look guys, i just need all of you to chill out, and then admit that my shaolin is special.

Thx
    special, as in special ed...

Yes, i am glad you can tell that my kungfu education has i deed been special!

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    - the neighboring village train generic style hongquan and changquan.
    Hong Quan technique is relatively Generic, I'll give you that. But as is all northern Chinese technique. Shaolins Hong quan form construction on the other hand is excellent and unique. Shaolins theory and principles are unique. Song shan has unique philosophies. What of the other Song shan styles? Luo han, Jin gang, Shi san zhua, Po si men, Pao Chui, Tong Bei, Qi xing, Zhao yang, LiuHe, Xin yi Ba, etc. etc. These are very different to their outside Song shan versions, some unique to Songshan.

In comparison to any other place in China, Song Shan has a remarkable amount of its Kung fu.