Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you learn from videos?

Can you learn from videos?

A lot of WC videos and courses out there are they any good, if you have a practice partner can you learn from videos?

Not really.

If you have a good amount of experience, maybe, otherwise, no.

You need an instructor to be around to correct your mistakes and teach proper form.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

addendum: there's a reason why learning from video is generally taboo and frowned upon in this community.

It's one thing to buy a tape and learn for the fun of it. It's another to buy it and think that you're really learning the art. It just doesn't work like that.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    Perhaps. But this depends on many factors. Best to find a good SiFu to guide you along your journey. Where in FL are you located?
    north port

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    addendum: there's a reason why learning from video is generally taboo and frowned upon in this community.

It's one thing to buy a tape and learn for the fun of it. It's another to buy it and think that you're really learning the art. It just doesn't work like that.
    so basically its a scam then?

Quote Originally Posted by KungFubar View Post
    so basically its a scam then?
    It's not a scam unless it promises you something.

Just because you can practice a form, doesn't mean you can fight with the techniques from it.

The tapes are just there for people that are curious. It's no substitute for a live teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    It's not a scam unless it promises you something.

Just because you can practice a form, doesn't mean you can fight with the techniques from it.

The tapes are just there for people that are curious. It's no substitute for a live teacher.
    if you cant find a good teacher can you start with dvds and then when you find one then he can fix you and make the adjustments? Like you said you must be very lucky to find a good teacher. If not a good teacher then its wasting a lot of time and money. Im leaning to wing chun now. Id love to find a wing chun group close by. Maybe I can get started with a dvd while Im trying to get lucky.

You can learn from a DVD.
    How much, How well all depends on you AND the person on the DVD.
    I've seen DVD's that the info being put out was info that took me years to realize WITH a teacher.
    Some instructors are just that good.
    That is NOT always the case.
    I will say this:
    If you are learning from a DVD then partner work is even MORE crucial.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

ok thanks everyone. One reason I like wing chun is they say it is the most popular a lot of people doing it. Im sure there are some really good WC people in my town somewhere, finding them and inviting me to their group is another matter. If its so popular there should be a lot of people pretty much everywhere doing it. Its not like Im looking for some exotic kf style which actually exists near me but Im not that interested in investing my soul into something of unknown efficacy. Also I dont know if they would even let me in.
    Last edited by KungFubar; 06-06-2013 at 10:59 AM.

if you cant find a good teacher can you start with dvds and then when you find one then he can fix you and make the adjustments?
    There are at least two good schools near you.

But for anyone else.............. eh.............. I kinda want to say no. I taught a friend of mine a form he was doing for an open-forms competition for a Kempo school he was attending. I figured I would teach him the form first and then worry about fixing it later. Bad move. It was a nightmare trying to correct all the bad habbits and mistakes he got acustomed to. I learned my lesson: always make sure it's right the first time.

A lot of WC videos and courses out there are they any good, if you have a practice partner can you learn from videos?
    In theory, it will work. But in actual practice, it won't. Think about it. If you're both making the same mistake, you'll do the drills and there will be no one to correct you. And since you're both doing it, it will fell right. Things like leaning back, crossing your centerline, or having your elbows out. You may think you're doing it right. But a sifu will spot things that you can't. Without someone senior to you to pressure test you, you may make the same mistake for months. Then when you finally realize it, you'll have to undo all that incorrect training. Videos can be useful if you're already training under a good sifu. You can learn some tips from them or use them as a reference. I've bought dvds where I've learned drills from them and they've been very helpful. But you simply can't learn just from videos. You need a sifu.

You can definitely learn something from a video, but an actual teacher is always the best.
    "Knowledge is knowledge, it doesn't matter where it comes from, it matters how you use it."
    "He who say's does not know, he who knows does not say"

"True Gong Fu is practicing in the coldest days of winter and the dog days of summer"

"Don't try, do"

if you cant find a good teacher can you start with dvds and then when you find one then he can fix you and make the adjustments? Like you said you must be very lucky to find a good teacher. If not a good teacher then its wasting a lot of time and money. Im leaning to wing chun now. Id love to find a wing chun group close by. Maybe I can get started with a dvd while Im trying to get lucky.
    Much better to do this than do nothing, or even worse, assume anyone on this forum is going to teach you anything over the web.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I can only echo what others have already said. However, once you have learnt through a sifu for a number of years then yes, videos can be very useful and enlightening.

wing chun videos usually aren't high enough quality to learn from because they aren't intended as teaching aids or they were not very well made.

There are certainly MA dvds you can lean a lot from, for example some grappling stuff. It depends on how the video was made really