Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shaolin Europe Association & Shaolin Association of North America

Hello Gene, I am in Europe and here I think there is one major difference from the USA perhaps: some of the more key influential Shaolin monks / disciples / masters are in fact westerners.

Some of the largest and most legitimate Shaolin schools in Europe are headed by western Shaolin masters with decades of competencies and travels to China, so when Yongxin created the Shaolin Europe Association he could not ignore their "standing" and recognized them as leaders in their respective nations, often despite other chinese Shaolin masters teaching there.

For example in the UK Shi Yanzi (chinese) and Shi Yongwu (western) are pretty much equally "famous" and their (S.E.A.) schools as large, in Italy and Switzerland Shi Xingmi (western) is by far the most well known and respected Shaolin master in S.E.A. despite several chinese monks / disciples teaching there, in Greece and Spain the leading S.E.A. cultural centers are headed by two western masters, etc.

Perhaps a unique situation born out of the european "early adoption" of Shaolin which means that today there are westerners who have been studying it since the '80s - '90s and therefore have the knowledge and "clout" to be leaders despite the chinese influx.

Rightly so I think!
    Last edited by DamoY2K; 06-26-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Thank you DamoY2K for your estimation,- in some parts i agree, but when it comes to declarations as "most well known and most respected Shaolin master in SEA" .. i think that's rather slippery territory.
    Could you tell some numbers concerning the "largest .... Shaolin schools in Europe headed by Westerners"?
    Who is Shi Yongwu (i only know Chinese Shaolin monks named Yongwu) ? Since you call him "Shi": is he an ordained monk or a novice?

That's interesting that Yongwu is a 'Yong' generation

Can you direct me to Yongwu's official site?

There is one non-Chinese Shaolin representative here in America. That would be Yanfan. Ironically, he is European. His cultural center was blessed by the Abbot, and he was involved in the Summit, but I'm not sure what his involvement is with the upcoming Festival. We'll find out when it happens.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

it's funny to read that thread because everyone is basically ****ting on the guy.

Sorry Gene, Yanwu not Yongwu ... typo!

Breeze, Yanwu now runs probably the co-leading (with Shaolin Temple UK) SEA school in the UK with I think 200+ students as well as regular TV appearances and weekly demonstrations all over the country. Xingmi is definitely the best known Shaolin master in mainland Europe, he conducts seminars and demonstrations in several nations as well as directing the main SEA school in southern Europe with 200+ students. The western SEA guys in Greece and Spain easily have the largest Shaolin schools in their respective nations, 100+ students each.

So I think it's fair to say that in Europe western Shaolin masters have very prominent official SEA standings, unlike the USA where except for Yanfan all the official cultural centers and in general the bigger and more legit Shaolin schools are directed by chinese Shaolin masters.

Like I wrote before, I think it is because some of the european Shaolin disciples have been practicing for 20 - 30 years and 10 - 20 trips to China ... they obviously could not be "ignored" by Yongxin and in fact I think it's great that Shaolin has shown them the deserved respect and "face": Shaolin is a culture not a nationality.

By the way, as a personal experience, over the years I've done seminars with most Shaolin masters in Europe, chinese and european, and two of the western ones are IMO outstanding teachers as well as some of the best traditional Shaolin practitioners I've seen, Xingmi in southern Europe and Deyan in the UK, as well as all around nice guys!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Can you direct me to Yongwu's official site?

There is one non-Chinese Shaolin representative here in America. That would be Yanfan. Ironically, he is European. His cultural center was blessed by the Abbot, and he was involved in the Summit, but I'm not sure what his involvement is with the upcoming Festival. We'll find out when it happens.
    How about LFJ being a non-Chinese Shaolin-representative in America?

It seems that many if not most of the western "Xing"- and "Yong"-masters are students of Shi Deyang.

Hey now...

I'm a Xing and not a pupil of Deyang. Then again, I'm no master.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm a Xing and not a pupil of Deyang. Then again, I'm no master.
    Sounds like someone very special ....
    May i ask who is your shifu?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So Yanwu is Matthew Ahmet, under his secular name quite well known. He is really nice and very ambitious.

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    How about LFJ being a non-Chinese Shaolin-representative in America?
    LFJ is in China.

Well, this isn't about me or LFJ

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    Sounds like someone very special ....
    May i ask who is your shifu?
    My shifu is Shi Decheng. If you really want to know about my history, read my book.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    LFJ is in China.
    Can you be non-Chinese American-representative in Shaolin instead?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Can you be non-Chinese American-representative in Shaolin instead?
    Kinda have to be, don't I...

lol

Well, I wasn't when I was there, despite my US passport.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    LFJ is in China.
    Did you close your school?

Not officially, but it hasn't been in operation in the States. I have been in China for close to a year and a half now with a recent sort of new HQ. So you can say it has moved.

Slightly OT

Slow news day today....

Shaolin kung fu impresses Italian audience, fosters tourism exchange at Milan Expo

Xinhua 2015-07-14 10:55 (GMT+8)

Martial artists display Shaolin kung fu at the opening of Henan Week at the Milan Expo, July 12. (Photo/Xinhua)

The ancient martial art of kung fu was on stage at the world exposition in Italy's Milan on Sunday as China's Henan Week opened.

A group of masters from the Shaolin Temple Wushu Training Center — located 500 meters to the east of over 1,500-year Songshan Shaolin Temple in Henan province — performed a variety of kung fu scenes at the Expo's China Pavilion.

Their audience of international guests included Italian authorities, other pavilions commissioners as well as members of the Henan delegation, whose activities at the Expo will last until Thursday.

In an interview with Xinhua on the sidelines of the show, one of the masters in their 20s, Shi Xingming, a member of the Shaolin kung fu performance team, said he and his fellows were proud of presenting the ancient art during a global event.

Shaolin kung fu is a complex art taught mainly by oral formulas handed down from generation to generation. In history, the recognition of inheritors of Shaolin kung fu was based on the patriarchal clan system of Shaolin temple.

In the process of teaching and learning Shaolin kung fu, Shi explained to Xinhua, it is necessary for masters to teach disciples by personal example as well as oral instruction and for disciples to study diligently.

The reputation of Shaolin kung fu was set early during the Sui and Tang dynasties (581-907). In the Song Dynasty (960-1279), it became a unique school of wushu (Chinese martial arts) and established itself as a school of excellence.

"Our youngest students can even be only three years old. But we also have adults. Kung fu can be practiced at different stages," Shi went on saying.

Today Shaolin kung fu is renowned throughout the world. In fact Sunday was not Shi's first performance in Italy. "In 2007 we exhibited in Rome and I hope we will come back to Italy soon," he told Xinhua."We also have international students. Last year, for example, we had one from Milan," he noted. Actually Milan is home of a wushu school, part of the Shaolin Europe Association (SEA).

The Shaolin Temple Wushu Training Center was set up in 1988 with a joint investment from the National Tourism Administration and Henan provincial government. The center is engaged in international and domestic kung fu exchanges, providing kung fu teaching programs and performances for tens of thousands of practitioners and spectators from various parts of the world.

Cristiano Radaelli, special commissioner of the Italian National Agency of Tourism (Enit), told Xinhua he was impressed by the Shaolin show. "What we saw today is real kung fu from Henan. We have different wushu schools in Italy, but it is very interesting to learn about how the original kung fu is like," he said.

Radaelli, who has been to China several times, said kung fu can be a new "interesting subject of touristic exchanges" between China and Italy. "A growing number of Italian tourists are willing to visit China, and Henan offers plenty of attractions, including sites that are part of the World Heritage List," he said.

Themed Beautiful Henan, Blooming Milan, the Henan Week at the Milan Expo will offer a number of different shows, including Henan cuisine performances and presentations of the provinces's intangible cultural heritage, as well as tourism, trade and investment meetings.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips