Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitness Club in the form of MA Training

Fitness Club in the form of MA Training

Dear All,

There is a local development of fitness clubs in the form of MA training. It can be named as "Thai Boxing for Fitness", "Kick Boxing Fitness Gym", etc. Is there such development in the city or country where you reside? What is your view on it?

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    yeah there are a few in my area. I've watched a couple and came to the conclusion that it takes many of the drills (conditioning) and uses them for cardio fitness without the sparring or resistance. I've yet to see one where they spar, maybe somewhere else does but the ones in my area don't. Nothing wrong with it IMO but I don't see getting much out of it concerning applications.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yea, your typical tkd or 'karate' school,
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

One of the biggest schools in the state is in my city. The class is called fitness kickboxing, but they have actual fighters teaching it. I used to teach Muay Thai there. Basically, everyone has a heavy bag. They will spend two minutes doing combos that the instructor calls out, then spend 60 seconds doing a fitness movement, like squats or push ups.

The idea isn't to spar. Not everyone wants to fight. If they want to fight, they can take the mma or Thai boxing classes. 90% of people simply want to stay fit and fight training is not as boring as running on a treadmill. It's just that simple. Most of the clients I have now have no desire to ever spar, they just respect the hard training that goes into competitive fighting and they want to train the same way so that they can get in shape.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    90% of people simply want to stay fit and fight training is not as boring as running on a treadmill.
    I think this is the best answer for the question.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

tae bo, boxercise, gsp rushfit, tony hortons kempo workout etc etc etc etc.
    Yes, people like to do the martial arts workout without any of the fighting etc.
    This has been a trend for a long time now.

Probably more than a thousand years.
    There are people who do the warrior arts wit no intention of ever using warrior arts.

Even body building is to accumulate strength over others, but look what it's turned into. One big orange and gay pose fest.

c'est la vie. White collar boxing, wen do, women's only fitness mma, mma training without comping and so on and so forth.

People want those t-shirts, teacher has gotta eat.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i saw this guy on line named jake mace and he does this.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

wombat combat teaches cardio bjj. you grapple on the ground against an imaginary opponent.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

If you are actually punching a bag in boxing fitness training, you can still improve your skill at smashing someone in the face and using combos, but most boxing fitness training doesn't even do this I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    One of the biggest schools in the state is in my city. The class is called fitness kickboxing, but they have actual fighters teaching it. I used to teach Muay Thai there. Basically, everyone has a heavy bag. They will spend two minutes doing combos that the instructor calls out, then spend 60 seconds doing a fitness movement, like squats or push ups.

The idea isn't to spar. Not everyone wants to fight. If they want to fight, they can take the mma or Thai boxing classes. 90% of people simply want to stay fit and fight training is not as boring as running on a treadmill. It's just that simple. Most of the clients I have now have no desire to ever spar, they just respect the hard training that goes into competitive fighting and they want to train the same way so that they can get in shape.

if only they could harness all that energy and connect it to the power grid

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post

Nelson is my favorite MMA guy, trains hard mma but his physique does not reflect that. He says his success comes from his kung fu background (wah lum)

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Even body building is to accumulate strength over others, but look what it's turned into. One big orange and gay pose fest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miqi View Post
    Wow - do people still get away with being obnoxiously h o m o phobic where you live?
    oh here comes the word and thought police again to make you think and talk like they do.

In Sydney Australia there are gyms thats offer boxercise, combat fitness, etc and there are other specifc boxing, traditional and mma clubs that have classes that offer just fitness.

Very recently a UFC branded gym opened up here as well.

With increased competition from the fitness industry a lot of martial art clubs, schools etc are having to branch out in order to remain viable (and not unlike schools that teach a variety of styles as opposed to just one).

yeah its grown so fast that some MA schools have given up teaching their actual style/system to just cash in on this.

Basically it seems to all just be a rehash of Taebo/Cardio Kickboxing with the infusion of the P90X/Cross Fit.

hey its great stuff if all our into is getting in shape which is not a bad thing and alot of MA exponents out there could hurt from doing some form of it.

But its definetly not martial Arts in that they don't focus on usage or things like theory and principles.

I've seen so many of these instructors who mainly are just Personal Trainers who have learned some Cardio Kickboxing and they just popping in the DVD the day before teaching class. Anyhow they still can't throw a decent punch.

Its ingrained in the modern view of MA Gyms so some form of it will be around for ever.

Greetings,

Using MA for fitness has been around for too long.

In this country we sorta missed that market. People would join a MA school for the expressed purpose of getting into shape and would disappear when they got to the sparring level. The lack of sparring and health emphasis may have been what made Tai Chi so popular.

Before the Asian MA boom, boxing gyms served this purpose very well. They welcomed those who simply came to work out. It kept the food on their plates and the lights on.

mickey