Thread: connecting blue ray to computer monitor how to??

connecting blue ray to computer monitor how to??

I have a samsung monitor brand new that my sister gave me, its 19" I think anyway, I have a sony blue ray hooked up to my sony bravia and its great but it would be nice to be able to play blue ray in other rooms without buying another tv. All the monitor has is a long serial port and another short one. No usb, s video or anything else. The blue ray has quite a lot of options.

Is there any way to make it work?

Thanks

Not w/o buying some hardware.

You just have one DVI and one VGA port right? Just google your model and you can find all the tech specs. After that you just need a go between. Tons of options. Hit up your local electronics store and they will show you what you can use.

You probably need something along the lines of this.

dvi to the monitor, hdmi to the blue ray
    http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/startech...FbBFMgodZW8Awg
    Kung Fu is good for you.

ok thank you!

Man that stuff is expensive. I'm so used to just making them. I'm always blown away when I see the prices.

That's like 12 cents in parts. Costs more to ship it than to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Man that stuff is expensive. I'm so used to just making them. I'm always blown away when I see the prices.

That's like 12 cents in parts. Costs more to ship it than to make it.
    how do you make them? where do you get the parts?

Honestly, I suggest you just buy one. In the end it will be less headache, much faster and potentially cheaper if you aren't already set up for that kind of thing. I was just commenting on the insane markup.

Also, you will still have to figure out the whole audio thing. Maybe if you have audio outs you can go to your surround sound receiver or whatever you use. But that cable will not provide any audio or ethernet. You can think of it like an S-video connection. Video only, except dvi is better.

As I understand it, you want to just take the blu ray and the monitor wherever and play movies... yes? If that's the case, you will need speakers hooked directly into the blu ray. Know what I mean? I don't really do the whole disc thing anymore so I don't have one, but if your blu ray has RCA outs or a headphone jack you can hook up computer speakers or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Also, you will still have to figure out the whole audio thing. Maybe if you have audio outs you can go to your surround sound receiver or whatever you use. But that cable will not provide any audio or ethernet. You can think of it like an S-video connection. Video only, except dvi is better.

As I understand it, you want to just take the blu ray and the monitor wherever and play movies... yes? If that's the case, you will need speakers hooked directly into the blu ray. Know what I mean? I don't really do the whole disc thing anymore so I don't have one, but if your blu ray has RCA outs or a headphone jack you can hook up computer speakers or something like that.
    my blu-ray has usb so I can plug in my usb card and play .avi and .mov files. Normally I connect it to my sony bravia and everything is great. I want to play these files in the garage where my workout area is and I have a computer monitor that I would like to connect it to.

You'll need to hook up speakers to the player. I think a lot of blu-rays have an audio out jack.
    Kung Fu is good for you.