Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bak Mei

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    On a side note: This blog is fascinating http://chinesemartialstudies.com/201...-chuen-part-i/
    good read and doesn't mince words
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    On a side note: This blog is fascinating http://chinesemartialstudies.com/201...-chuen-part-i/
    Thanks B

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Is it possible for me to cross train with jiu jitsu and not have the two styles compete. When did bruce lee begin his cross training. The fact that its been two days since I''ve been on here is reason enough im not a troll. I'll read the blog, however; I have a px90 workout to do thanks.

Ask your Sifu. If he is the real deal then there is nobody on here that is going to give you a better answer than he is.
    -Golden Arms-

You could cross train Capoeira with Bak Mei. You could cross train anything with Bak Mei. But, I think some arts wouldn't lend much to it. I can't see the point in training Shorin-Ryu Karate with Bak Mei, but maybe I am totally wrong and their would be some good benefits.

Take what is useful and discard the rest right? And if everything is useful then take all of it.

Bak Mei is good for stand up, is okay for clinch, and is very so so for ground(depending on how one looks at it is the argument for groundwork).

Find your ranges and find the best arts that suit you for each range.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    that blog you posted was good mightyb. Interesting historical perspective.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Bringing this back up he'll train me in Muay Boran until a certain level so that will be my cross training. Thanks for all the info.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bakmei View Post
    I've been taking Bak Mei for about a year now wanted to know if it was ok to fuse jui jitsu along with it or not? Any other suggestions that don't go against my style.
    Why do you even ask this question? You are the master. All MA styles are your slaves. The law may say that you can only have one wife. But who is going to stop you from seeing other girls?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-01-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Why do you even ask this question? You are the master. All MA styles are your slaves. The law may say that you can only have one wife. But who is going to stop you from seeing other girls?
    Sig worthy!

Considering the current situation of our lazy-chubby-coward-greedy wives I think all of us need to start cheating sooner or later.

seeing other more practical arts might even help to understand TCMA better.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 08-01-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Bak Mei

Quote Originally Posted by bakmei View Post
    I've been taking Bak Mei for about a year now wanted to know if it was ok to fuse jui jitsu along with it or not? Any other suggestions that don't go against my style.
    Bak Mei , Did you ask your Bak Mei Sifu ?
    If you can take jujitsu or not ? Some Sifus may allow it , while some sifus may not allow it . Your Bak Mei Sifu may think is Jujitsu alot better than Bak Mei ? But I may be wrong ? I don ' t know what your sifu may think . But go and ask your Sifu first .

Bak Mei is a stand up striking art which is good , jujitsu is grappling and ground fighting too . But ! yeah ! It'll work , but you need to worry about what your opponent can do against you . Jujitsu is a very sensitive subject on this topic thread forum so I ' ll let you figure it out .

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Bak Mei , Did you ask your Bak Mei Sifu ?
    If you can take jujitsu or not ? Some Sifus may allow it , while some sifus may not allow it . Your Bak Mei Sifu may think is Jujitsu alot better than Bak Mei ? But I may be wrong ? I don ' t know what your sifu may think . But go and ask your Sifu first .

Bak Mei is a stand up striking art which is good , jujitsu is grappling and ground fighting too . But ! yeah ! It'll work , but you need to worry about what your opponent can do against you . Jujitsu is a very sensitive subject on this topic thread forum so I ' ll let you figure it out .
    Doooood, fix them keys!!!! lol

I would be pissed if I had a sifu that said I wasn't allowed to train another art that deals with a range not covered in the current art.

I'm all for respect, but it goes both ways. If the answer is no, I would require a damn good reason. A reason beyond the obvious bluh bluh bluh.

Bak Mei

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Doooood, fix them keys!!!! lol

I would be pissed if I had a sifu that said I wasn't allowed to train another art that deals with a range not covered in the current art.

I'm all for respect, but it goes both ways. If the answer is no, I would require a damn good reason. A reason beyond the obvious bluh bluh bluh.
    Syn7 , well some Sifus are like that , well if the Sifu is open minded then he ' ll let Bak Mei learn other arts too . But If his Sifu in Bak Mei is closed minded then he 'll probably warn bak mei that if he learns another art then his bak mei Sifu may in turn discontinue teaching him . So to be on the safe side bak mei should ask his bak mei Sifu first .

Here in Hawaii , I ' ve heard that a Sifu once kicked out an assistant teacher for not asking his Sifu himself permission for learning another kung fu art under a different sifu . To the sifu themselves it ' s like stealing a student from another Sifu , that ' s why . So it all depends on the Sifu themselves .

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Syn7 , well some Sifus are like that , well if the Sifu is open minded then he ' ll let Bak Mei learn other arts too . But If his Sifu in Bak Mei is closed minded then he 'll probably warn bak mei that if he learns another art then his bak mei Sifu may in turn discontinue teaching him . So to be on the safe side bak mei should ask his bak mei Sifu first .

Here in Hawaii , I ' ve heard that a Sifu once kicked out an assistant teacher for not asking his Sifu himself permission for learning another kung fu art under a different sifu . To the sifu themselves it ' s like stealing a student from another Sifu , that ' s why . So it all depends on the Sifu themselves .
    If you pay your sifu for classes, they really have no say. Personally, I would inform my sifu, respectfully, and ask for his opinion. But then I guess it depends on how you can talk with your sifu. For me, it's always been on equal ground in every area accept the actual material. He's not my dad, he's my friend and a respected elder.

If your sifu has taken you in and feeds you and trains you as a disciple, well... that's different. But that old school way of thinking holds no weight when you charge money for 2 hour classes three days a week. It would be like kicking somebody out of one grocery store because they also shop at safeway.

Bak Mei

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    If you pay your sifu for classes, they really have no say. Personally, I would inform my sifu, respectfully, and ask for his opinion. But then I guess it depends on how you can talk with your sifu. For me, it's always been on equal ground in every area accept the actual material. He's not my dad, he's my friend and a respected elder.

If your sifu has taken you in and feeds you and trains you as a disciple, well... that's different. But that old school way of thinking holds no weight when you charge money for 2 hour classes three days a week. It would be like kicking somebody out of one grocery store because they also shop at safeway.
    Syn7 , I agree with you .